An Old School Catholic Message Board

saving lives in a burning building

dairygirl4u2c

Hypothetically speaking, if you were in a burning building, and had to choose between saving ten test tube babies each two days developed, and a little 6 year old girl, which would you choose?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Oct 5 2005, 10:06 AM']seeing as there'd be very little chance of them ever being implanted, I'd probably sprinkle water on them saying "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost" and then go save the little girl.
[right][snapback]746769[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
true that

Cow of Shame

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Oct 5 2005, 08:43 AM']i think i've asked this before and got some interesting answers, but [b]i wanna see if it happens again.[/b]
[right][snapback]746743[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why hasn't anyone taken issue with this statement?

Edited by Cow of Shame

White Knight

The Test Tube babies would be my choice, because if you save some, aleast they have a chance to see life, as opposed to the girl, if she dies, thats the end of her life on earth. Aleast the babies can still have a chance to live.

Cow of Shame

[quote name='White Knight' date='Oct 6 2005, 01:25 PM']The Test Tube babies would be my choice, because if you save some, aleast they have a chance to see life, as opposed to the girl, if she dies, thats the end of her life on earth. Aleast the babies can still have a chance to live.
[right][snapback]748448[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

this makes no sense to me

yeah, me neither. God doesn't do miracles on an everyday basis... that's why they're called "miracles". so we have to use our God-given human reason that tells us that it is impossible to save these embryos, but it is very possible to save this girl.

as others have pointed out, embryos need a ton of technology to stay alive, and even if by some crazy miracle you transfered them out without damaging them... implantation always has little chance of success anyway (which is why we oppose in-vitro fertilization in the first place)

How many babies would the girl potentially birth, and their children, and their childrens' children, and... well ya know.

Cow of Shame

[quote name='hierochloe' date='Oct 7 2005, 12:08 AM']How many babies would the girl potentially birth, and their children, and their childrens' children, and... well ya know.
[right][snapback]749236[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

we judge someone's worth on their reproductive abilities?

yeah, definitely don't get into that. we don't judge our actions outside of time. God created us in time distinctly for that purpose. we are creatures of time... thus we cannot obsess over some unforeknowable-by-human-mind future possible result of our actions...

MissScripture

I'd just like to mention that people having test tube babies goes against the Catholic Church in the first place...therefore, if people would just follow the Church's teachings, we wouldn't have the problem.

White Knight

Most test tube babies aren't really dead, but actually preserved, why? so they can test cells that are still alive, because if they dead, yes alot of them do I admit that, they lose alive living baby.

that's right. they are preserved and alive.

however, there's a lot of technology necessary to preserve them. there's really no way to save them if they're in a burning building. and even if you did, it's very unlikely any of them would survive any attempted implantation (that's why in vitro fertilization is absolutely immoral in the first place)

on the other hand there's a little girl who could be saved.

it's ten already doomed embryos vs. one little girl who could live.

tough call, but the girl is the best bet for saving anyone.

if dairygirl's mystical witchery powers (for which I shall throw her into this burning building! lol) didn't prevent us, you're best bet would be first to get the little girl out, and then maybe go back in and attempt to bring the embryos out. since they're probably safer from the fire beneath all that technological gizmo carp , I'd get the girl out of the fire first and then see if I could get back in for the embryo babies. I mean, the story of a snowflake baby (embryo saved from the mad scientists to be implanted in a woman who wants to save it and then actaully survives) is a beautiful against-all-odds romantic story, so I would want to do everything in my power to make something like that possible for these poor little embryos. but you can't just grab an embryo and take it out of a burning building.