An Old School Catholic Message Board

saving lives in a burning building

dairygirl4u2c

Hypothetically speaking, if you were in a burning building, and had to choose between saving ten test tube babies each two days developed, and a little 6 year old girl, which would you choose?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

i think i've asked this before and got some interesting answers, but i wanna see if it happens again.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

seeing as there'd be very little chance of them ever being implanted, I'd probably sprinkle water on them saying "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost" and then go save the little girl.

hrm...
I said refuse to speculate, but it would seem the girl is more likely to survive if rescued. I don't know what I would do in that situation, honestly.

I think it would be.

any child below the age of reason in danger of death could be baptized immediately. if they are going to grow up, then we must be sure the parents will raise the child in the faith before we baptize them, but in danger of death they ought to be immediately baptized and commended to God's mercy.

let_go_let_God

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Oct 5 2005, 09:06 AM']seeing as there'd be very little chance of them ever being implanted, I'd probably sprinkle water on them saying "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost" and then go save the little girl.
[right][snapback]746769[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree, because they are in a burninig building, so is the equipment needed to implant them. I would baptize them and save the little girl as well.

God bless-
LGLG

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Oct 5 2005, 08:06 AM']seeing as there'd be very little chance of them ever being implanted, I'd probably sprinkle water on them saying "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost" and then go save the little girl.
[right][snapback]746769[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree with Aloysius.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='hierochloe' date='Oct 5 2005, 06:15 PM']If you're close enough to baptise test tube embryos, you might as well grab 'em and go save the girl as well.
[right][snapback]747704[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Except the embryos need to be kept frozen. Would you be able to pack out the liquid Nitrogen tanks as well?

[quote name='hierochloe' date='Oct 5 2005, 07:15 PM']If you're close enough to baptise test tube embryos, you might as well grab 'em and go save the girl as well.
[right][snapback]747704[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]best answer. If it was possible to save them, then I would imagine the nitrogen bottle is small enough to save them. I've picked up the container that holds frozen bilogical specimins for cattle before. I could do both, or at least try.

Duc_In_Altum

The problem with grabbing the nitrogen bottle is if as you were trying to escape with the girl, embryos, and nitrogen tank, you could possibly suffocate faster from smoke inhalation because larger bodies require more oxygen. Plus, your breathing rate would be naturally increased anyway due to overall increased activity because you are trying to navigate out of a burning building, lead a scared little girl out with you, carry test tube embryos, and a nitrogen tank. . You drop the nitrogen bottle as you suffocate and it rolls across the floor into the flames. The heat increases pressure in the bottle and the bottle explodes, killing the girl and embryos alike.

I say baptize the embryos and grab the girl. That's better than everyone dying.

pax,

-Joe

But the consistent thread in all our answers is recognizing the inhernt dignity and humanity of the embryos and the little girl. We are all choosing what we think we'd be most successful at, not choosing the little girl because she is more 'human' than 10 other people, but we are choosing on likelihood of survival.