An Old School Catholic Message Board

stopping immorality

dairygirl4u2c

Should Christians be called to physcially stop, if possible, people from doing immoral acts?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

DancesforLove

Some things yes, murder rape etc.
There are some things you can't stop, like abortion. Which can't be physically stopped you have to talk and discuss and support the people. Since there is obviously no way to stop them physically lol.

[quote name='DancesforLove' date='Oct 4 2005, 09:52 PM']Some things yes, murder rape etc.
There are some things you can't stop, like abortion. Which can't be physically stopped you have to talk and discuss and support the people. Since there is obviously no way to stop them physically lol.
[right][snapback]746407[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Abortion can be physically stopped. As long as the physical means do not involve something itself evil (such as killing the woman), physical means may be used to save the life of another.

DancesforLove

Um excuse but do you intend to cut off the womans hands, the doctors and any person she knows?
Because unless you do, woman will find a way to abort the baby if they don't want it.
You are not God, you are not all powerful, you can not control and stop everything.

[quote name='DancesforLove' date='Oct 4 2005, 09:58 PM']Um excuse but do you intend to cut off the womans hands, the doctors and any person she knows?
Because unless you do, woman will find a way to abort the baby if they don't want it.
You are not God, you are not all powerful, you can not control and stop everything.
[right][snapback]746414[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Doing things like physically blocking the entrance to an abortion mill, or disabling abortion machines are morally legitimate.

Whether these things are prudent in the long run is debatable, but they are morally legitimate. Would you refuse to use any physical force if your own baby were threatened?

DancesforLove

Abortion machines have not always been around.
If you do that, people will just go to something much more terrible to perform their own abortions, it was done for hundreds of years.

toledo_jesus

unfortunately, a woman bent on killing her child has merely to throw herself to the ground or ram into a wall or in some way cause enough physical harm that she miscarries.

chaining the woman up would be pretty bad.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='DancesforLove' date='Oct 4 2005, 09:08 PM']Abortion machines have not always been around.
If you do that, people will just go to something much more terrible to perform their own abortions, it was done for hundreds of years.
[right][snapback]746420[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

People also find ways to murder other adults, by your reasoning, we shouldn't try to stop this either...

photosynthesis

I think that when human dignity is in danger it is always allowable, if not necessary, to physically stop them. If someone were trying to kill themselves, I would do all that was in my power to stop them. If someone were trying to rape someone else, I would do all that was in my power to stop them. If someone were trying to kill someone else, I would do all that was in my power to stop them. If someone were trying to abort their child, I would do all that was in my power to stop them.

However, I do not think it is OK to use violence. As disturbed and insane as abortionists are, I think bombing abortion mills and harming abortionists is a horrible thing, because it's just stooping down to their (very low) level.

photosynthesis

I also agree with Socrates that while it might be allowable to physically block people from entering abortion mills, it is not prudent or legal (in certain cases).