An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obsessing about sin

socalscout

Did not mean to rhyme.

Do we detract from God when we constantly worry about offending him? You understand what I am saying? Pick a sin that you are especially weak to commit, and think about how you wrestle with temptation in order to avoid the occasion of that sin. How much time do you spend? Is that time taken away from God or is that time with God doing battle against sin?

Now if we devote our time to battle sin can we neglect charity? Is that possible? Are those without sin guaranteed salvation even if they never lifted a finger to help another or is that a sin in itself? Can we confess to our confessor that we do not help enough?

What does the Church teach on this? I’ll look in my Catechism.

Focusing on God and holy things in a postive way is always more effective than obsessing about a sin. If you obsess about and focus on a sin, you will be very likely to fall for that sin.

It's not only a waste of time, it's counterproductive!

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Socrates' date='Oct 4 2005, 08:15 PM']Focusing on God and holy things in a postive way is always more effective than obsessing about a sin.  If you obsess about and focus on a sin, you will be very likely to fall for that sin.
[right][snapback]746207[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Unless the reason you obsess is scrupulosity, in which case, according to St. Alphonsus, it would take a very strong act of the will (almost absolute hatred of God) in order to do it.

However, scruples keep us locked up and unable to act, even for good. Staying positive is indeed the way to go.

I'm not talking about toxic shame. I'm talking about the daily struggles we have with sin.

We must not sin and some have a very heavy burden i.e. Homosexuals. They are bound to celibacy with no chance of getting married. This must be a daily struggle for the devout and I do not know how this would eventually take up their whole day fighting temptation. How do we imitate Christ completely and give ourselves up to God if we are fighting great temptation constantly?

Cow of Shame

[quote name='socalscout' date='Oct 4 2005, 11:49 PM']IHow do we imitate Christ completely and give ourselves up to God if we are fighting great temptation constantly?
[right][snapback]746538[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Do you believe you are fighting alone?

Our minds can be one of the hardest parts of our body to master. It takes practice. Simply saying that we are 'giving ourselves to God' doesn't instantly make us perfect. We continue to struggle, but with God's help, we can make headway. Yes, you'll likely slip back, but as overused as that 'Footsteps' poem is, it does have truth in it.

Edited by Cow of Shame

photosynthesis

When we make an act of contrition, one of the things we ask God for is the grace to avoid the near occasions of sin. This grace is available to us (as Catholics) in the Sacrament of Confession. Not only does God forgive our sins, but He gives us the grace to stay away from further sin.

While it's always important to use your head and avoid whatever leads you to sin, it's also important to trust that God keeps His promises. He promises us grace in the Sacraments and we would have a reason to trust that God will do what he says he will (i.e. give us grace and help). This doesn't mean the struggle will be easy, but if you trust in God and stay faithful to Holy Mother Church you will always win the battle against sin.