An Old School Catholic Message Board

What do you mean when you say you...

MissScripture

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Sep 30 2005, 08:41 PM']i get the feeling that you do not like Bush -- is my intuition correct?
[right][snapback]742615[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I do not like the way Bush is running our country.

However, if he does add one more prolife justice (like Roberts) you will never ever hear me utter anything negative about him or his term in office.

I mean that sincerely!

This thread looks like it has turned into typical Democratic v. Republican squabbling but just a few points.

1) Whatever one thinks about this war, it is quite possible to be against a war, but support the troops. I myself tend to think the Iraq war was misguided (and I'm a "conservative extremist"). However, I don't root for the enemy. I wish the American troops the best and hope that they win. I have little sympathy for Mohammedist scumbags we are fighting.
There is a vast difference for thinking it was not worth going into a particular war, and rooting against one's own countrymen.

2) Snarf, every war is fought largely by the young, and most eighteen-year-olds (yes, even those from "conservative, low-income families" as you so patronizingly state) realize that being a soldier means the chance of dying. This is what being in the military is about. I realized it when I began OCS. What do you want to raise the age of military service to? Should wars be fought only by grizzled, hardened veterans?

3) hot stuff, the President can have little effect on things like gas prices. Such things are part of the economy, and beyond any president's control. If President Bush (or any other politician) could magically lower gas prices, I assure you, he'd do it (think how much that would boost his popularity!)

I agree with much of what you said Socrates save the gas issue.

The price of gas went up while the price of crude was going down just prior to the war on Iraq. Why? Based on speculation of a possible shortage due to the war. That is a direct effect of Bush's presidency. Oil companies have seen record profits from this. Bush has never denied his ties to oil.

Prices have continued to rise. It is directly due to the impact of the war.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='CatholicAndFanatical' date='Sep 30 2005, 02:51 PM']
However, Lets not have another Vietnam where the soldiers were not supported and became the victims of anti-war protest and carp.

[right][snapback]742258[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

amen! :cool:

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:02 AM']I agree with much of what you said Socrates save the gas issue. 

The price of gas went up while the price of crude was going down just prior to the war on Iraq.  Why?  Based on speculation of a possible shortage due to the war.  That is a direct effect of Bush's presidency.    Oil companies have seen record profits from this.  Bush has never denied his ties to oil.

Prices have continued to rise.  It is directly due to the impact of the war.
[right][snapback]742761[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

right ----we went to war for oil!
beaver dam Bush!

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:05 AM']right ----we went to war for oil!
beaver dam Bush!
[right][snapback]742848[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Didn't say that. I said that the war had a direct effect on oil prices and I'm right.

White Knight

Well since this thread went West instead of East, I would comment on the actually title and what I think but that seems to be no longer the case.

Bush has done a decent job, he isn't the best President we've had, nor is he the worst, However in order to find out his results of his administration and find them out accurately we cannot make a fair judgement until January 2009 or 2010. when hes clearly out of office and his long term policies kick in. because thats what really counts.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Oct 1 2005, 08:12 AM']Didn't say that.  I said that the war had a direct effect on oil prices and I'm right.
[right][snapback]742952[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's a no-brainer. Nearly everything has an effect on the price of oil and gasoline. gouge gouge gouge

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Oct 1 2005, 09:12 AM']Didn't say that.  I said that the war had a direct effect on oil prices and I'm right.
[right][snapback]742952[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
ok, the fact that China has an economy steadily increasing 9.5 percent per year --- this has gone up from 7.5 in 2001 so China's growth rate is climbing at insane speed
so they are consuming oil at an increasingly large rate, this is why they wanted to purchase one of our oil companies
[url="http://www.economist.com/opinion/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2668015"](HERE)[/url] [url="http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/xw/t204319.htm"](and HERE)[/url]

now we have to get our oil from the same sources as this quickly expanding Chinese economy
its called supply and demand, and the prices go up
and they will never go down to where they used to be as long as we are dependant on these same sources

so...this also has a HUGE direct impact on gas prices [i]and im right [/i];)

oh, we also have a refinery bottleneck
we havent built a new one in 30.. LONG overdue
and we lost some of the old ones in the hurricanes
so this doesnt help any either

From AAA February 2003

[quote]Gas prices reach record highs for the month in Michigan ($1.753) in response to oil strike in Venezuela and mobilization of US troops to Iraq[/quote]

Lounge, I haven't said that there are other factors in oil prices. Socrates said that the President doesn't have a direct effect on the price of gas. The Iraq war was a direct impact.

The government's long-term policy beginning with Iraq is to make the Middle East as compatible as possible with the West, and the idea is to slowly overthrow governments systematically with the message being sent for all the other states to ammend themselves before they're the ones to whom troops get sent.

I'm not making that up, that's almost ver batim what I was told by two independent very politically-aware Neo-Cons.

Now, the decision as to why Iraq should have been first had a number of factors. To say that the war is being fought over oil is asinine, but it's even more asinine to say that oil has nothing to do with it. A very prime reason for which Iraq was invaded first was that it has the potential to generate revenue for future military excursions more rapidly than any other Middle Eastern country. Hence, the deplorable lack of contract bidding in the reconstruction process, thereby granting power to industries over which certain members of political office have great influence and vested interests.

So no, it's not a matter of blood for oil. It's a matter of oil for blood.