An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does God love Satan?

dairygirl4u2c

Well, does he?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

God loves Satan as He loves all His creatures.
He hates Satan's actions (sin).

Satan's damnation is the just consequence of the evil choice of his will against God.

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='Jason' date='Sep 29 2005, 08:25 PM']That's like asking does God love sin? :blink:
[right][snapback]741507[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It is not. We are told to hate the sin, love the sinner.
Satan himself is not sin. He is an angel created by God. His actions are sin. As I said, God loves Satan, but hates his actions.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Socrates' date='Sep 29 2005, 08:24 PM']God loves Satan as He loves all His creatures.
He hates Satan's actions (sin).

Satan's damnation is the just conquequence of the evil choice of his will against God.
[right][snapback]741504[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If God loves Satan why is their kingdoms divided? Why is their spiritual war?

If God and Satan got along, why did he come down from heaven and die for us that we may have a chance at eternal life? God conqured death, and death of the spirit. He came and brought The Truth for those in darkness!

Their not on the same team!

Livin_the_MASS

[quote]It is not. We are told to hate the sin, love the sinner.
Satan himself is not sin. He is an angel created by God. His actions are sin. As I said, God loves Satan, but hates his actions.[/quote]

He is the "father of lies" and he was " a liar from the begining."

that treads dangerously close to dualism. no creature can be evil by nature, because evil itself is not a nature nor a postive reality. evil is a defficiency or twisting of good. as such, something cannot exist without some goodness to it. God looked at everything He had made, including the serpent, and saw that it was good.

God loves that good, that's the only reason Satan exists. but since angels have the oppurtunity really to make only ONE decision in all eternity, the decision to love God or love themselves, and satan made the wrong decision, satan twists that good and does evil things. but he is not evil by nature.

natural satan is a beautiful angel in God's court obedient to God.
but satan's nature is fallen and twisted by him.

God loves satan's intended nature. God loves that essence of good that sustains anything that exists. God is the enemy of satan's eternal twisted deformed and fallen nature, though.

Satan chose to separate himself from God...that was made by Satan's choice using the free will God gave him. It's just like we separate ourselves from God when we chose to go against his word. He still loves us then, so he would still love Satan.

It's just that with angels, free will is different. There is but ONE choice in their entire lives. They got one chance, one final test. Satan cannot repent, he chose to be this way and thus that is who he is. Not by nature, because evil doesn't have nature, but it is ontologically a part of him.

CatholicAndFanatical

I venture to say God must love Satan or else he wouldnt exist.

meaning I agree with Socrates I belive who said love the sinner hate the sin.

Edited by CatholicAndFanatical

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Jason' date='Sep 29 2005, 09:30 PM']If God loves Satan why is their kingdoms divided? Why is their spiritual war?

If God and Satan got along, why did he come down from heaven and die for us that we may have a chance at eternal life? God conqured death, and death of the spirit. He came and brought The Truth for those in darkness!

Their not on the same team!
[right][snapback]741515[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

In answer to your questions: because Satan hates God.

They aren't on the same team, of course not, but Satan is still intrinsically good and God still loves all that is intrinsically good (all that exists in creation).

This is a really interesting thread. I never thought of this before, but if Jesus came to reconcile us to the Father, why wouldn't the angels including Satan be reconciled too? What do the angels and Satan have to do to be reconciled to God?

God loves all of his creation... even Satan. But he doesn't force us to love Him, and that is the great tragedy of Satan. Satan rejected God, God didn't reject Satan.

Oh, I forgot this. . . . I saw a really fantastic film by Hal Hartley called the Book of Life. In it Jesus and Satan have an incredible conversation about life, God, death, etc. If you can rent it, please do. It's a Hal Hartley film, so you know it's going to be interesting. Here's the site if you want to read about it.

[url="http://imdb.com/title/tt0167059/"]http://imdb.com/title/tt0167059/[/url]

God did create Lucifer as an High Ranking Angel of Light, then Lucifer fell by his own pride and lust for power, God is Love, so I can't imagine why not.