An Old School Catholic Message Board

Didache

CatholicAndFanatical

CatholicAndFanatical

I had a website in my favorites on the Didache, and to my understanding it talks about infant baptism, confession, the way the Mass is to be said..but I cant find it.

What exactly does the Didache show us? I know its something :D

I know it contains a very early form of the Mass, but I don't think it talks necessarily about infant baptism or confession. It also shows early on that we fast on Saturday and Wednesday.

CatholicAndFanatical

Thanks niccolo for the reply. I believe you are right, I was looking at the page I had in my favorites and there is no mention of it either.

I thought there was someone on here that had read it completly before...where are the rest of the Church Militants when you need em?

*knocks on doors*

CHAPTER 9
THE THANKSGIVING SACRAMENT
1) Now concerning the Thanksgiving meal, give thanks in this manner.
2) First, concerning the cup:
We thank You, our Father,
For the Holy Vine of David Your servant,
Whom You made known to us through Your Servant;
May the glory be Yours forever.
3) Concerning the broken bread:
We thank You, our Father,
For the life and knowledge
Which You made known to us through Your Servant;
May the glory be Yours forever.
As this broken bread was scattered over the mountains,
And was gathered together to become one,
So let Your Body of Faithful be gathered together
From the ends of the earth into Your kingdom;
for the glory and power are Yours forever.
5) But let no one eat or drink of your Thanksgiving, unless they have been baptized; for concerning this is taught, "Do not give what is holy to dogs."

CHAPTER 10
PRAYER AFTER COMMUNION
1) After the meal, give thanks in this manner:
2) We offer thanks, Holy Father,
For Your Holy Name which fills our hearts,
And for the knowledge, faith and eternal life,
You made known to us through Your Servant;
Yours is the glory forever.
3) Almighty Master, You created all things for Your own purpose;
You gave men food and drink to enjoy,
That they might give You thanks;
But to us You freely give spiritual food and drink,
And eternal life through Your Servant.
4) Foremost, we thank You because You are mighty;
Yours is the glory forever.
5) Remember Your Body of Servants,
To deliver it from everything evil
And perfect it according to Your love,
And gather it from the four winds,
Sanctified for Your kingdom which You have prepared for it;
For the power and glory are Yours forever.
6) Let Your grace come,
And let this world pass away.
Hosanna to the God of David!
May all who are holy, come;
Let those who are not, repent.
Maranatha. Amen.
7)But permit the prophets to make Thanksgiving as they wish.

CHAPTER 14
THE SABBATH ASSEMBLY
1) Every day, gather together, eat a meal, and give thanks after having first confessed your sins, that your sacrifice may be pure.
2) Discourage anyone who has a disputation with his brother to gather with you, until they are reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be defiled.
3) For this is the sacrifice that was spoken of in our teaching:
"In every place and time offer to me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, and My Name is marvelous among the nations."

Could not find anything on infant baptism.

But this is a summary

Jonathan Draper writes (Gospel Perspectives, v. 5, p. 269):

Since it was discovered in a monastery in Constantinople and published by P. Bryennios in 1883, the Didache or Teaching of the Twelve Apostles has continued to be one of the most disputed of early Christian texts. It has been depicted by scholars as anything between the original of the Apostolic Decree (c. 50 AD) and a late archaising fiction of the early third century. It bears no date itself, nor does it make reference to any datable external event, yet the picture of the Church which it presents could only be described as primitive, reaching back to the very earliest stages of the Church's order and practice in a way which largely agrees with the picture presented by the NT, while at the same time posing questions for many traditional interpretations of this first period of the Church's life. Fragments of the Didache were found at Oxyrhyncus (P. Oxy 1782) from the fourth century and in coptic translation (P. Lond. Or. 9271) from 3/4th century. Traces of the use of this text, and the high regard it enjoyed, are widespread in the literature of the second and third centuries especially in Syria and Egypt. It was used by the compilator of the Didascalia (C 2/3rd) and the Liber Graduun (C 3/4th), as well as being absorbed in toto by the Apostolic Constitutions (C c. 3/4th, abbreviated as Ca) and partially by various Egyptian and Ethiopian Church Orders, after which it ceased to circulate independently. Athanasius describes it as 'appointed by the Fathers to be read by those who newly join us, and who wish for instruction in the word of goodness' [Festal Letter 39:7]. Hence a date for the Didache in its present form later than the second century must be considered unlikely, and a date before the end of the first century probable.

[url="http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/didache.html"]http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/didache.html[/url]

Edited by Theoketos

CatholicAndFanatical

Thanks Theo for the information, I will put it with the rest of my references. I was dialoging yesterday with a co worker of mine about early writings and brought up the Didache..unfortunatly couldnt say much about it. At least I have something solid now.

Have a great day and thanks again