An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is this right?

missionseeker

Alabama announced 1700 job openings for Katrina Evacuees only.
This is good. These people definitely need jobs.

But what I want to know is
1) Where did they come from?
2)If they can find these, where are the jobs for Alabamians-especialy those in rural places?

I know people who have been unemployed for months. My father was recently unemployed for two. Now he travels 100 miles to and from work each day. It takes him two hours to get to work. And for those who can find work they often half to settle for 6-10 dollar an hour jobs. Most of these jobs could earn 20-30 dollars an hour in most other places.

I am just wrong in thinking that there is something wrong with this picture?

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Sep 22 2005, 10:26 PM']Alabama announced 1700 job openings for Katrina Evacuees only.
This is good. These people definitely need jobs.

But what I want to know is
1) Where did they come from?
[right][snapback]734901[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Didn't you hear? They're all Amway & Cutco openings....

heh

Laudate_Dominum

Maybe they are just made up government jobs. Not necessarily jobs that existed before. Like what was done as part of 'the new deal".

I don't know. Very confused. My dad might go down (O.k. -across) to Mississippi and Louisiana as a "construction/electrician/plumber" person. If he does he'll be gone for a few months. One time, he worked in Birmingham(300 miles away) for a year and a half but he came home on weekends. If he goes we won't see him till he's done. I have three little brothers (8,6,3) who will probably not do so well with him gone. But he's the "got to do what yougot to do/ feed my family " type person so.....

Edited by missionseeker