An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Father Giving communion to Brother Roger?

melporcristo

Okay, I tried to do a search engine on this on this site
but had no luck finding the topic of the Holy Father supposidly giving the Eucharist to Taize leader Brother Roger at Pope John Paul II's funeral. I ask for your forgiveness if you have talked on this already ... BUT nonetheless, I'd like to know if anyone can give me a reliable source on if the Holy Father did so. So far I have this one:
[url="http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/archives/006031.php"]http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/...ives/006031.php[/url]
Which is a blog and I'm not sure how factual it is.

Reason why I am asking is because a Jesuit university I used to go to is using this as their reason to why they allow non-Catholics to receive the Precious Body and Blood. Of course, I am in opposition to non-Catholics receiving and there was many times when I had to debate with my Catholic brothers and sisters at the school about this. SO if you can help me out with this, that would be awesome.

In Jesus and Mary:
Melissa

Edited by melporcristo

there is the same opinion held by the administration of another Jesuit university -- St Joseph's UNiversity in the ARchdiocese of Philadelphia -- we here at the monastery call it a pagan university... which is the case of most, if not all, Jesuit schools.

is no one going to help??

I'm not really very well equipped to answer such questions, but I did find this, which comes from a letter written by Brother Roger:

“Can I recall here that my maternal grandmother discovered intuitively what was like a key to the ecumenical vocation and that she opened up a way of working it out for me? Marked by the witness of her life and following her example, and while still quite young, I found my own Christian identity by reconciling in myself the faith of my origins with the mystery of the Catholic faith, without rupture of communion with anyone.”

Hey Micah!

Well, I did some talking around campus and people are saying Brother Roger converted before JPII's death and the then Cardinal Ratzinger knew he converted and thus gave Brother Roger communion ....

I would just like sources to the truth ... maybe Catholic answers?

+JMJ+
Melissa

I'm not sure the truth will be known, unless Brother Roger had written about it, or the Pope speaks out about the reason why he did it. Unless you hear it from him, everything else is mere speculation

I ran across this article. Apparently Cardinal Ratzinger did administer Communion to Brother Roger and he didn't convert if this article is credible:

[url="http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0504883.htm"]http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0504883.htm[/url]

He definately DID give communion to Brother Roger... I saw it.

However the commentary was that Br. Roger assents to all the Church's teachings without actually "being" a Catholic... it's kinda the nature of his ecumenism...

Cardinal Ratzinger (at the time) was undoubtedly well-aware of who Brother Roger was and probably made the decision himself to give communion to him for very specific reasons.

The reasons in this singular case can not be extended into license in any other, and especially not all other cases where a non-catholic wishes to recieve communion.

Those jeuits aren't following vow #4.

[quote name='Donna' date='Sep 26 2005, 12:58 AM']Yes, GC, but the message sent is a green light, don't you think?

Thanks for the source, Sigga. I saw a picture of it from elsewhere.
[right][snapback]737607[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]No, it doesn't send a green light. Cardinal Ratzinger exercised his authority that is specifically allowed for his position in the Church. The Jesuit priests do not have that authority and it is specifically clear that Canon Law forbids them from making the choice to act thusly.

CatholicAndFanatical

Yea I agree with GC, it seems like those Jesuits will use anything to do the wrong thing.

I am hard pressed to find one good Jesuit college or Church in the U.S.

When I had my website up I featured a few Jesuit, so called churchs, on the East coast that took the whole 'Gay Pride' thing too far. So far as to having a Gay Mass and participating in the Gay Pride parade.

Its people like that that makes it hard for others to stay within the Church or convert.

Definitly not a green light from the Holy Father.

I read something on this by the Official Vatican spokesman. One sec and I will find it.

And no, this is not a green to give communion to those who are not in communion.