An Old School Catholic Message Board

the most violent developed country on earth

cmotherofpirl

anyway, people in northern ireland don't report their assaults because they are too frightened of the loyalist and republican gangs that do it, plus a lot of people hate the PSNI, so most assults go unreported

[quote]The study, based on telephone interviews with victims of crime in 21 countries, found that more than 2,000 Scots were attacked every week, almost ten times the official police figures. They include non-sexual crimes of violence and serious assaults. [/quote]

This doesn't make sense! Did they only speak to people who had been victims of crime? In which case the results must be about victims who have experienced multiple assaults, otherwise the figure would be the same unless they called more in one country or another....which would mean the research was biased.....

It's a really flawed piece of research, or bad journalism.....

Well, I'd make the same claim, except for England and Wales, nearby neighbors, had the 2nd highest figures. It really isn't totally far-fetched. If only for proximity reasons, it seems possible that Scotland could have so many violent crimes.

God bless,
Mikey

[quote name='Didacus' date='Sep 20 2005, 03:19 PM']If they would have included moose assaults Canada!

As for skirts:
Arrogant Worms lyrics - The Scotsman song text
Well a scotsman clad in kilt left the bar one evening fair.
And could tell by how he walked that he'd drunk more than his share.
He fumbled 'round until he could no longer keep his feet
and he stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street

Chorus: Ring ding didde diddle i-de-oh, ring di diddley i-oh
He stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street.

About that time two young and lovely girls just happened by
And one says to the other with a twinkle in her eye
"See young sleeping Scotsman so strong and handsome built
I wonder if its true what they dont wear beneath the kilt!"

Chorus: Ring ding diddle diddle i-de-oh, ring di diddley i-oh
I wonder if its true what they dont wear beneath the kilt!

They crept up on that sleeping Scotsman quiet as could be
Lifted up his kilt about an inch so they could see
and there behold for them to view
beneath his Scottish skirt was nothing more then God had graced him with upon his birth!

Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth

They marveled for a moment, then one said we must gone
Lets leave a present for our friend before we move along!
As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon tied into a bow
Around the bunny star, the Scots kilt did lift them show

Around the bunny star, the Scots kilt did lift them show

Now the Scotsman woke to nature's call and stumbled towards a tree
Behind the bush he lifts his kilt and gawks at what he sees!
And in a startled voice he says to whats before his eyes
"(grunt) Lad i donno where ya been but I see ya won first prize!"

Chorus: Ring ding diddle diddle i-de-oh, ring di diddlye i-oh
Ah lad i dunno where ya been but I see ya won first priz!
[right][snapback]731144[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:biglol: :cheers:

argent_paladin

Actually, it may not be flawed. There are two standard ways of reporting crimes: gathering data from the police and surveying the population. Generally, the first substantially underestimates the amount of crime, especially in hi-crime areas because so many people don't report the crimes to police.
Second, it is consistent with other data from England and Wales and fits the trends for the past few years.

This article gives great background as to the swift fall of Britain:
[url="http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_25_54/ai_95612956"]http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._54/ai_95612956[/url]

Here's a good one on gun control: [url="http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/lott200508190817.asp"]http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/lott200508190817.asp[/url]

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='argent_paladin' date='Sep 21 2005, 01:44 AM']Actually, it may not be flawed. There are two standard ways of reporting crimes: gathering data from the police and surveying the population. Generally, the first substantially underestimates the amount of crime, especially in hi-crime areas because so many people don't report the crimes to police.
Second, it is consistent with other data from England and Wales and fits the trends for the past few years.

This article gives great background as to the swift fall of Britain:
[url="http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_25_54/ai_95612956"]http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._54/ai_95612956[/url]

Here's a good one on gun control: [url="http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/lott200508190817.asp"]http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/lott200508190817.asp[/url]
[right][snapback]732367[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Since the gun laws have been working so well in the UK, they need knife laws in Scotland.
Either that or stop the inflammatory 'Highlander' re-runs so they'll stop chopping off each other's heads to be the last immortal.

[quote name='argent_paladin' date='Sep 21 2005, 01:44 AM']
Actually, it may not be flawed. There are two standard ways of reporting crimes: gathering data from the police and surveying the population. Generally, the first substantially underestimates the amount of crime, especially in hi-crime areas because so many people don't report the crimes to police.

This is so true. Why bother reporting any crimes since the police do absolutely nothing about it?
If someone breaks into your property they take a report over the phone, and do not even respond.
If someone is shooting up the neighborhood the police take their time appearing, and stand around to give them plenty of time to get away.
God forbid they run into a criminal.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Sep 21 2005, 10:58 AM']God forbid they run into a criminal.
[right][snapback]732611[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sound a little bitter there. :ninja:

i find it a bit surprising that Scotland is more violent than the US. I think that the methodology of the study needs to be looked at and more studies that yield the same result need to be done before we can make a claim that Scotland is the most violent developed country.....

a host of other factors needs to be considered, when defining a country in this manner...

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Sep 21 2005, 02:29 PM']a host of other factors needs to be considered, when defining a country in this manner...
[right][snapback]732896[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Like, is Scotland really a developed country? :blink:

Just kidding ppl. :lol_roll:

lol.

When my brother went to America a couple of years ago, he was in a class of 17 year olds and they asked him if we lived in castles over here and if he had ever seen those pens with four different colours :huh:

Another guy went over for University and these people complemented him on how he managed to learn English so quickly-they thought he had never spoken English before and that we all spoke Irish as a first language.

Another girl was in America for Uni and this American girl came up to her and said 'oh, aren't you so glad you came here? Our school system is just the best, its much more superior to any other school system, bla bla bla' and then the girl from over here told her about A levels and how they are the most highly regarded qualification for that standard of education in the world, how the Nothern Ireland school system is the best in Europe and how, because she did A levels, she got to skip the first year of University. The American girl looked at her blankly and walked away. :hehe:

I'm an American, but i hate that some Americans have that "superior to everyone else" attitude. Every day in school, i hear ppl say things like, "French ppl smell of elderberries, German ppl are Nazis, and America's better than any other place in the world" and it's like, what arrogance! I end up defending ppl of other nations to my friends and tell them how its impossible for every single person in one country to be exactly the same. Its' annoying!

yeah i know! I know not all Americans think like those I mentioned above. I hate it when people associate Irish people with drinking. You can't decide that a whole nation is the same

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Sep 21 2005, 05:28 PM']I'm an American, but i hate that some Americans have that "superior to everyone else" attitude.  Every day in school, i hear ppl say things like, "French ppl smell of elderberries, German ppl are Nazis, and America's better than any other place in the world" and it's like, what arrogance!  I end up defending ppl of other nations to my friends and tell them how its impossible for every single person in one country to be exactly the same.  Its' annoying!
[right][snapback]733038[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

When I was in Canada and England all I heard was how the US sucked :)