An Old School Catholic Message Board

Medjugorje

megamattman1

[quote name='jezic' date='Sep 25 2005, 10:55 PM']this one isn't that old. :)
[right][snapback]737500[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No but the link was over a year old.

Fides_et_Ratio

Such a highly debated topic.

I went to Medjugorje... and am even more skeptical of it's authenticity.

Dr. Miravalle at FUS seems to think it will be approved, but I would be greatly surprised if the Apparitions at Medjugorje were ever declared of supernatural origin.

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Sep 25 2005, 10:01 PM']Such a highly debated topic.

I went to Medjugorje... and am even more skeptical of it's authenticity.

Dr. Miravalle at FUS seems to think it will be approved, but I would be greatly surprised if the Apparitions at Medjugorje were ever declared of supernatural origin.
[right][snapback]737510[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

For what reasons?

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Sep 25 2005, 11:03 PM']For what reasons?
[right][snapback]737512[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
see the older thread previously linked to... PopeStPiusX has either linked to, or explained many of my "issues" with Medjugorje.

Overall, I'm not impressed with the exampled "obedience" (or lack thereof), and my general impression of Ivan was not good. Medjugorje either says the same thing as other apparitions (fine, not too big of a problem, but no reason to approve it), or says things that are rather ambiguous and somewhat scandalous (which I do take issue with)-- i.e., the "all religions are equal" statement, etc.

[quote name='Thumper' date='Sep 18 2005, 10:04 AM']Then I think it's a good idea to look at the fruits of that miracle. 
[right][snapback]728436[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Very nice post.

I think some of the 'miracles' touted in the media lately are complete bunk (If you stand 200 yrds away and squint, that post looks exactly like the virgin Mary!), but I think there's some credibility to the miracles at Medjugorje. One of the most wonderful people I know went there, and had her rosary turn to gold & smell of roses. Does it make me worship *her*, or perhaps encourages & validates my faith in God?

Even true miracles can be worthless if they don't achieve their purpose, which is to turn people towards Him.

Those weeping paintings are a bit creepy, though....saw one in Illinois, I believe. The entire eyes were moist, and you could see where the 'tears' had run down the face of the painting. It was either legit, or someone had shellacked the thing...no way that you could have moistened it by hand & kept it that way the whole time.

A few people asked how Medjugorje could be non-supernatural or even satanic if there were so many people who were converted, healed, etc. there. It's like this -- Satan knows, just like the rest of us, that sometimes, in order to win the war, you have to lose a few battles. And so if he's using Medjugorje to dupe people, then having some souls saved is small compared to the many souls that would be damned because of it.

CatholicAndFanatical

I read the book about this a few years ago.

I am skeptical because of the way the book said the visionaries were acting.

At least the children at Fatima had a visible change in their lives and you can tell they were affected by what they saw.

From what I read, the visionaries cut up at Mass, wear clothes that shouldnt be worn at Mass and so forth.

Please, those that have been there, correct me on the kids who saw the Blessed Mother. Did they act like they were witnessing Her?

Also, is this still going on or has she stopped appearing?

Fides_et_Ratio

CatholicAndFanatical,
the "visions" are still going on... on a regularly scheduled basis with Ivan... this is much of the Medjugorje "hype" and why so many want to go. at least climbing up "apparition hill" is a penitential experience! lol. that was about all I got out of the apparition...

Dave,
I agree to an extent. And we also have to ask ourselves how many LASTING conversions have come out of Medjugorje? Not merely temporary "spiritual highs", but true and lasting conversions to the Lord apart from a temporary spurt in religious behavior.
I don't know that Medjugorje has necessarily been around long enough for us to judge any potential "true and lasting conversions", but neither I have I heard of any thus far claimed ones.

Having lived in Bosnia when I was a foreign exchange student, and living only 4 kilometers from Medjugorje and visiting that city for mass each week i thought overwell that it was a nice spiritual place. A getaway into a mountanaous place where you can just hink for the time your there. I know our team climbed Mt. Krushvek and Pobro hill. Medjugorje wasn't the focul point of my trip which the focal point was to study government and history over there. However I did get to go to a Drbrovnik football game (you know the sport you play iwth your foot) and my time living in Bosnia-Herzegovina was a memorable one. That's about it....

these visits and messages from The Mother of God are evil - thats why are these people pray more, go to church, bleieve in the Mass, celebrate the Body Blood Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus ...
its a plot of those who dwell in Hell ...a failing plot... but maybe give it time... this is Satan making it up as he goes along

or it could be a plot of human origen... I still don't understand why they all had to renounce the visions and then say they were real again afterwards :wacko:

I really don't think anything supernatural has gone on there (other than conversions which are always good and supernatural, but they happen everywhere and it wasn't because of an apparition)

also, there have been people with stigmatas for years who on their deathbeds admit to making deals with the devil because they wanted to be famous for their miracles. for all the years prior to that, devotees of such stigmatas would argue the same-- look it is making conversions et cetera et cetera. I believe that most recently happened with some sister in Japan or something...

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='Sep 26 2005, 11:00 PM']thats why are these people pray more, go to church, bleieve in the Mass, celebrate the Body Blood Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus ... 

[right][snapback]738580[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Such has been the case of nearly every alleged apparition from Bayside to Necida to Garabandal. Does this prove them true? Not hardly.

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Sep 26 2005, 10:09 PM']Such has been the case of nearly every alleged apparition from Bayside to Necida to Garabandal.  Does this prove them true?  Not hardly.
[right][snapback]738595[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Niether you or your articles can explain why I can still see