An Old School Catholic Message Board

sunday obligation

photosynthesis

photosynthesis

ok... so we all know that we are required to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation. hopefully, most of us go because we have a genuine love :love: for Jesus in the Eucharist, and not simply because of obligation. I know that the Church teaches that if it is not humanly possible to attend Mass (illness, caring for sick/children/elderly, no Catholic churches in the area, no priests) then those affected by that are excused.

My mom and I are going on a cruise in Hawaii and other islands in the Pacific ocean. I don't think there will be Mass on the boat (unless something happens last minute) and the island we will be stopping at on Sunday has no Catholic churches. :( Obviously it would not be humanly possible to get to Mass in the middle of the ocean or on some random island with no churches.

It's not like I am going on this trip with my mom to avoid going to Mass, because I love Mass and I would walk miles and miles in the rain or the snow to get there. but unless Jesus gives me some miraculous gift, i probably wouldn't be able to walk to Honolulu on water. :drool:

My question is, is it wrong to travel to places like that? Should we only travel to places where we can get to Sunday Mass? While I would never deliberately skip Mass, I do have the choice to go on this trip with my mom (which she's already paid for) or not to go. :idontknow: am i just being scrupulous or is this a legitimate concern?

Idk about that one. I was wondering the same thing when I went to Disney World w/band and chorus. I asked a priest b/c i was genuinely concerned about this. He said to make sure u give a special time during the day to praise and thank God for all ur blessings. Have fun on ur trip and stay safe :)

Edited by avemaria40

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Sep 17 2005, 06:20 PM']Idk about that one.  I was wondering the same thing when I went to Disney World w/band and chorus.  I asked a priest b/c i was genuinely concerned about this.  He said to make sure u give a special time during the day  to praise and thank God for all ur blessings.
[right][snapback]727462[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree w/that, avemaria40.
There have been pressing times, on a Sunday, when I could'nt make it to mass, even though my parrish has several mass hours to aid those who cannot make it at an earlier time. Sometimes, you just can't make it for one reason or another. This may sound lame, but whenever it's happened to me, I've watched mass on EWTN while reflectiing on what God has provided for me on that day.

That's a good idea! B/c then u can still hear the Gospel, and pray and sing w/the ppl, even though u physically can't receive Holy Communion, but u can still make a spiritual Communion.

photosynthesis

well, i don't think it's right to miss mass unless you have a serious reason. A lot of people think it's OK to skip it if you have too much homework, or if there's a game, or for other things like that. But going to Mass every Sunday shows where your priorities are, that God is #1 in your life.

find a priest on vactation! lol

or... hijack the boat and take it to mass somewhere on sunday!

how many sundays will this be? just one?

at the very least see if you can find a mass on TV... and it'd be really cool if you looked up the geographical location of that mass, put the tv so that when you watched it you'd be facing that direction, and knelt in that direction. if that's not possible, look for a tape of a mass maybe, and face the direction of the church where that mass was taped.

it is not techncially fulfilling the obligation, but it shows God you're doing the best you can. probably not going to mortally wound your soul, but it might be nice if you went to confession after it anyway.

photosynthesis

it's only one sunday...I think. I know i might be missing mass on january 1st , so that is a sunday and a holy day of obligation :( i don't know if i could find mass on TV or not... i hope they have TV...