An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your all-loving, ever-forgiving God's (cont)

Chris of Zewe

there's always ignorance of the truth as a mitigating circumstance...but you don't seem ignorant. So, making a choice to reject God would probably send you to Hell.
God doesn't send people to Hell. People send themselves, by their choices.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Chris of Zewe' date='Sep 17 2005, 04:42 PM']As I said, though, why should my choices during my short life on earth be used to determine where I spend eternity?
[right][snapback]727381[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i think the question is why not?

[quote name='Chris of Zewe' date='Sep 17 2005, 05:44 PM']Compare the time frames, please, and then look up "justice."
[right][snapback]727386[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
How long does it take a rational person to make a choice? I think it's rather merciful that you are given a lifetime to come to a better understanding of God and how you should not reject Him.
At least you get a choice.

He's never given me any reason to believe in him. All I have to go by are the illogical rantings of the clergy of some religion of a broken race. Why does he not prove his existence to me and then let me choose whether or not to worship him? Seems like a coward to me.

He shouldn't have to prove Himself. Look how everything is perfectly arranged in nature. The Natural Laws, the Laws of Physics, how everything is made, just proves that SomeThing or SomeOne must have made it b/c u can't have something out of nothing. Also, research is confirming a gene that makes ppl spiritual. why have it if there is no Spirit to get in touch with?

In life, the decisions you make determine your fate. If you choose, e.g., to live a criminal lifestyle, eventually your decision to be a criminal will cause you to be incarcerated...or be killed. The way you choose to live, determines the outcome. God doesn't condemn you to hell, you do that yourself by the manner in which you live.

God just gives you the choice. If you choose to live according to the tenets of christianity, including loving Christ, and you have a contrite heart when you do transgress, your eternal fate is one of bliss w/God. If you choose to live your life, according to you own will & reject God, then you've chosen your eternal fate.

Think of it this way...You own your own home, your own car, your provide food, lodging & care for those under your roof. Now imagine that you have a rebellious person living under your roof, eating the food you worked hard to provide, using all your electricity & running up your monthly bill, leaving dirty dishes in the sink, borrowing your car w/out asking, never pumping gas into the tank,etc. And this person is constantly defying you & undermining your authority. Telling you he can do whatever he please & you have no say in the matter. How would you feel? What would you do? Would you reward him & put him in your will?
Think about it.

Edited by CatholicBoy

[quote name='Chris of Zewe' date='Sep 17 2005, 05:57 PM']CatholicBoy, you're not seeming to understand the word "proportional"...
[right][snapback]727418[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
As in what, Punishment ought to be proportional to the crime?
I don't see it as "Punishment". I see it as the wages you yourself earned.

[quote name='Chris of Zewe' date='Sep 17 2005, 05:49 PM']He's never given me any reason to believe in him.  All I have to go by are the illogical rantings of the clergy of some religion of a broken race.  Why does he not prove his existence to me and then let me choose whether or not to worship him?  Seems like a coward to me.
[right][snapback]727396[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You are here, and you think. Think critically about your position. Try taking the position that there is a God. Call it an intellectual exercise.

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Sep 17 2005, 05:03 PM']You are here, and you think.  Think critically about your position.  Try taking the position that there is a God.  Call it an intellectual exercise.
[right][snapback]727430[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Intellectual exercise is too much punishment for a mindless troll to take.

I wasn't aware that he was a "troll". I find that the majority of ppl who flame boards usually have pent up aggression and the only way they can expel them, is to upset the herd...while hiding behind a keyboard. Generally they don't have the physical capacity to actually resolves their issues, offline. Often they are the ones who are being pushed around & intimidated by others with more of a physical prowess. That being said, I should stop w/my diatribe. I don't want to be red flagged & banned off PhatMass for being "controversial".

Edited by CatholicBoy