An Old School Catholic Message Board

women and the workplace

photosynthesis

[quote name='track2004' date='Sep 21 2005, 02:46 PM']
And yeah you can live cheap, but why do the guys have to be the wage earners?  Why can't women be?  Guys can be stay at home dads.  Girls can be educated and earn good money.  Just because a family can life off one income doesn't mean it has to be the guys.
[right][snapback]732925[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree with this. Partly because I was raised by a stay at home dad. After my dad's accident, which left him unable to work, he stayed at home with 4 kids while my mother worked. There are some that believe that it is still best for a mother to be the main care giver for children, and that most men aren't capable of handling such a job. I'm definitely here to disagree with that. Men, most of the ones in my family, are great caring fathers toward their children and are just as capable as the mothers to provide a caring surrounding for them to be in.

From my own personal experience, I wouldn't trade having been raised by my father for anything, and neither would my brothers or sister. My mother was still a constant figure in my life even if she did work.

So I think it's possibe for men to be stay at home dad's while mom works.

God Bless,
Jen

[quote name='track2004' date='Sep 21 2005, 02:46 PM']Right.  That's cheap living.  I have less than that and I'm fine.  But what happens when you add in:
-Car insurance
-School tuition (because we send our kids to Catholic schools or college)
-Food for the house hold
-Work suits
-Rent or house payments
-Health/ Home/ Life insurance
Things add up quickly...
[right][snapback]732925[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
My wife and I raised 2 kids on mostly 1 income. Sometimes my wife worked part time at home, but our focus was on quality of life, not quality of material possesions. And we sent our kids to Catholic schools and often had to ask for financial assistance. I live in suburbia with 2 income families, but we don't have the same stuff in our house and garage they do. My house didn't happen overnight and I'm a good 15 years older than most of the 2 income households. My dad always said that one of the worst things to happen in society is Americans thinking we have to have two incomes to live. My mom had a professional job after the youngest was in school but family comes first and we never lived as well as the neighbors, nor ever expected to. We were the last ones I know to own a color TV (won at a church carnival) , but we survived. :)
A roof, cothing and food are needs, everything else is gravy.

[quote name='jasJis' date='Sep 21 2005, 04:52 PM']My wife and I raised 2 kids on mostly 1 income.  Sometimes my wife worked part time at home, but our focus was on quality of life, not quality of material possesions.  And we sent our kids to Catholic schools and often had to ask for financial assistance.  I live in suburbia with 2 income families, but we don't have the same stuff in our house and garage they do.  My house didn't happen overnight and I'm a good 15 years older than most of the 2 income households.  My dad always said that one of the worst things to happen in society is Americans thinking we have to have two incomes to live.  My mom had a professional job after the youngest was in school but family comes first and we never lived as well as the neighbors, nor ever expected to.  We were the last ones I know to own a color TV (won at a church carnival) , but we survived.  :)
[right][snapback]732997[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Amen to that Jas.
I have three kids in college and I am on disablilty.
It is hard but can be done with patience [and flea markets, thrift shops and hand-me-downs] :)

[quote name='StatingTheObvious' date='Sep 21 2005, 09:57 AM']Then again, families could try to live within their means and can do it on 1 income.  I do, my parents did, most of my fellow employees do.  The difference is telling the difference between luxuries and necessities.

For example:
- 1 TV is plenty and they still broadcast to you for free.
- A movie is just as good 2 years later when they broadcast it.
- A VCR is a luxury and you can buy a working one at a garage sale for $10 and pay .50 for movies.
- A car will last 15 years or more if you take care of it.
- At legal speed limit, my 10 year old Cavalier will get me there at the same time as your $35,000 Nissan.
- Electric windows and door locks are luxuries and my windows and locks work just fine.
- $12 Jeans at wal-mart last just as long as $35 Levis.  I don't buy socks at Burdines.
- I can eat my sandwich, cold leftovers, etc., out of my 'brown bag' faster than you can go to McDonalds and get a Big Mac.
- Water quenches thirst better than soda and I can afford lemon juice or lime juice if I want to be 'wild'.
- I don't have much cash, or make a ton, but I've got excellent credit for emergencies because I pay for neccessities as I go.
- Vacation is an escape from work, not from your home.  I don't think many of us have houses in Hell that we have to escape from.
- Pay phones are still abundant and only cost 25cents for local.  Society has survived for eons without instant communication to ask which flavor of $3 coffe to bring home from StarBucks.
[right][snapback]732560[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Way to state the obvious, StatingTheObvious!

That's one of the most commonsensical things I've ever seen posted here.

Today people think they're entitled to every luxury - a big house, the newest coolest cars, the newest coolest clothes, and the newest coolest gadgets - like it's their American birthright.
And if people can't afford these things, it's considered up to government to "fix the problem" so that everyone can "live the American dream."

People are materialistic and measure a man's worth soley by his possessions. We men are told we need to have fancy cars and wear $200 blue jeans and $200 shoes to be attractive to women, and many women, unfortunately, buy into this.

And people are unwilling to have kids if that means giving up having the newest coolest stuff that they think they're entitled to.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Socrates' date='Sep 21 2005, 08:24 PM']People are materialistic and measure a man's worth soleley by his possessions.  We men are told we need to have fancy cars and wear $200 blue jeans and  $200 shoes to be attractive to women, and many women, unfortunately, buy into this.

And people are unwilling to have kids if that means giving up having the newest coolest stuff that they think they're entitled to.
[right][snapback]733196[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
People also are afraid of getting their newest coolest stuff dirty :)

It's so sad how much people obsess over labels and brands. After Mass we usually spend some time in fellowship, just hanging out...and usually I bring the snacks and drinks. There is this one person who is always complaining that I always get store-brand food, saying that it doesn't taste as good. Store brand food tastes just fine!!! she is lucky that I bring food at all :ohno: People are way too attached to brands, and it is disgusting how companies are using such deceptive adversiting (known as "branding") on those who are very young. When I have kids, they will not watch TV, at least not in my house.

[img]http://www.glennbeck.com/dayaftertomorrow/userposter11.jpg[/img]

full image [url="http://www.glennbeck.com/dayaftertomorrow/userposter11.pdf"]HERE (PDF)[/url]

[quote name='jasJis' date='Sep 21 2005, 04:52 PM']My wife and I raised 2 kids on mostly 1 income.  Sometimes my wife worked part time at home, but our focus was on quality of life, not quality of material possesions.  And we sent our kids to Catholic schools and often had to ask for financial assistance.  I live in suburbia with 2 income families, but we don't have the same stuff in our house and garage they do.  My house didn't happen overnight and I'm a good 15 years older than most of the 2 income households.  My dad always said that one of the worst things to happen in society is Americans thinking we have to have two incomes to live.  My mom had a professional job after the youngest was in school but family comes first and we never lived as well as the neighbors, nor ever expected to.  We were the last ones I know to own a color TV (won at a church carnival) , but we survived.  :)
[right][snapback]732997[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Amen and Amen! I'm right there with you. I do landscaping. My wife raises babies. We get by. Barely sometimes, but we get by.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Sep 21 2005, 07:54 PM']People also are afraid of getting their newest coolest stuff dirty :)

When I have kids, they will not watch TV, at least not in my house.
[right][snapback]733225[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Good idea.

Edited by popestpiusx

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Sep 22 2005, 06:21 AM']Good idea.
[right][snapback]733619[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]Parents are more influential than TV. I've let my kids watch TV, but we buy basics, store brands, coupons, etc. Now my kids think it's idiotic to be suckered in to 'name brands' and tell me stories. My 16 year old bought a cool belt at Ross (discount store) for $2. She goes to a high school with predominately affluent kids. A girl had on the exact same identical belt and asked if she was at Burdines that weekend and bought it on sale for $16 like she did. My daughter laughed and said no, she got it at Ross for $2 bucks, but she said I'm sure yours will last 10 times longer since you paid more for it. (She's not the best at mental math but knows financial efficiencey.) My daughter loves that story.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Sep 21 2005, 07:54 PM']People also are afraid of getting their newest coolest stuff dirty :)

It's so sad how much people obsess over labels and brands.  After Mass we usually spend some time in fellowship, just hanging out...and usually I bring the snacks and drinks.  There is this one person who is always complaining that I always get store-brand food, saying that it doesn't taste as good.  Store brand food tastes just fine!!!  she is lucky that I bring food at all  :ohno: People are way too attached to brands, and it is disgusting how companies are using such deceptive adversiting (known as "branding") on those who are very young.  When I have kids, they will not watch TV, at least not in my house.
[right][snapback]733225[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Since she doesn't like store brands tell her she brings the food the next time. :D:

[quote name='StatingTheObvious' date='Sep 21 2005, 09:57 AM']Then again, families could try to live within their means and can do it on 1 income.  I do, my parents did, most of my fellow employees do.  The difference is telling the difference between luxuries and necessities.

For example:
- 1 TV is plenty and they still broadcast to you for free.
- A movie is just as good 2 years later when they broadcast it.
- A VCR is a luxury and you can buy a working one at a garage sale for $10 and pay .50 for movies.
- A car will last 15 years or more if you take care of it.
- At legal speed limit, my 10 year old Cavalier will get me there at the same time as your $35,000 Nissan.
- Electric windows and door locks are luxuries and my windows and locks work just fine.
- $12 Jeans at wal-mart last just as long as $35 Levis.  I don't buy socks at Burdines.
- I can eat my sandwich, cold leftovers, etc., out of my 'brown bag' faster than you can go to McDonalds and get a Big Mac.
- Water quenches thirst better than soda and I can afford lemon juice or lime juice if I want to be 'wild'.
- I don't have much cash, or make a ton, but I've got excellent credit for emergencies because I pay for neccessities as I go.
- Vacation is an escape from work, not from your home.  I don't think many of us have houses in Hell that we have to escape from.
- Pay phones are still abundant and only cost 25cents for local.  Society has survived for eons without instant communication to ask which flavor of $3 coffe to bring home from StarBucks.
[right][snapback]732560[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If you snide little comment was directed at me, (and I'm guessing it was, since you quoted me)...

--We have only one tv (the one we bought in 1991)-- we have basic cable only because without it we get snow.

--I haven't seen a movie in years (that wasn't a children's movie played for free in the summer)

-- I have the same VCR that we bought at Sam's right after we got married in 1991.

--I have the same car that we bought when our family outgrew our previous one. (sometimes you have to expand-- it's a need.)

--I don't know what to make of your Cavalier/Nissan comment.

--ditto the features. Our car came off the lot, during a winter storm, at the end of the month and year. The stuff it had was the stuff it had.

--clothes are clothes... I haven't bought myself any new clothes in quite some time. I don't even know what "Burdines" is

--our one and only credit card has never carried a balance-- in 14 years

--I'm skipping a bunch because they get tedious and silly

--Vacation an ascape from work not home...? Hm... well, my home is my work... :) Our vacation is getting into the afformentioned van and driving to see family and friends. Anyone who has travelled across the country with children in the car will tell you, it's not a luxury vacation.

--I don't have a cell phone either...

I KNOW the difference between a need and a want.

My point was that trying to get a house in this area is very hard... The real estate market here is crazy. It is difficult to get a home with one income. If we did not already live here, we probably could not afford to live here. The market is driven up by two income families who can pay more for their homes. If we were to downsize our home, we would get a smaller house, but not a smaller mortgage.

If your comments were directed at me, you're barking up the wrong tree...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 22 2005, 09:22 AM']If you snide little comment was directed at me, (and I'm guessing it was, since you quoted me)...

--We have only one tv (the one we bought in 1991)-- we have basic cable only because without it we get snow.

--I haven't seen a movie in years (that wasn't a children's movie played for free in the summer)

-- I have the same VCR that we bought at Sam's right after we got married in 1991.

--I have the same car that we bought when our family outgrew our previous one. (sometimes you have to expand-- it's a need.)

--I don't know what to make of your Cavalier/Nissan comment.

--ditto the features. Our car came off the lot, during a winter storm, at the end of the month and year. The stuff it had was the stuff it had.

--clothes are clothes... I haven't bought myself any new clothes in quite some time. I don't even know what "Burdines" is

--our one and only credit card has never carried a balance-- in 14 years

--I'm skipping a bunch because they get tedious and silly

--Vacation an ascape from work not home...? Hm... well, my home is my work... :) Our vacation is getting into the afformentioned van and driving to see family and friends. Anyone who has travelled across the country with children in the car will tell you, it's not a luxury vacation.

--I don't have a cell phone either...

I KNOW the difference between a need and a want.

My point was that trying to get a house in this area is very hard... The real estate market here is crazy. It is difficult to get a home with one income. If we did not already live here, we probably could not afford to live here. The  market is driven up by two income families who can pay more for their homes. If we were to downsize our home, we would get a smaller house, but not a smaller mortgage.

If your comments were directed at me, you're barking up the wrong tree...
[right][snapback]733698[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think it was directed at you in particular, but it was a good answer none the less. :)

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 22 2005, 08:22 AM']--Vacation an ascape from work not home...? Hm... well, my home is my work... :) Our vacation is getting into the afformentioned van and driving to see family and friends. Anyone who has travelled across the country with children in the car will tell you, it's not a luxury vacation.
[right][snapback]733698[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm glad you took vacation and stopped to see me! :clap:

And you're more than right that travelling wtih kids in the car is no luxury vacation, although it has moments when it can be fun. My vacation this year waswith a family I'm friends with, and we took a road trip to sunny North Carolina. Their two boys are 8 and 9, which is actually not too bad to travel with ... but they do have very small bladders. :lol_roll:

Once we got them some Calvin & Hobbes books to read, though, we only heard the occasional "Are we there yet" out of them. They were great.