An Old School Catholic Message Board

women and the workplace

photosynthesis

[quote name='Socrates' date='Sep 17 2005, 04:12 PM']. . . And thus Batman begins!  :)  See you've got a little Batman on your hands!  Too cute!
[right][snapback]727330[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Holy Bat-history Socrates! You're right!!!

:lol:

[quote name='track2004' date='Sep 17 2005, 12:17 AM']Don John.

What did you mean by saying men have "more grey matter"?  On average yes they do because their heads are bigger so their brains are bigger, but I don't get what you mean by that.  Yes women are designed to carry and nurse a baby.  I can't debate that.  We have a uterus, we have mammory glands.  Men's brains are not designed any different than women's, though.  Most men, through culture, learn that they are to be physically active and are made to do more hard labor in their childhoods (mowing the lawn, trash, etc).  Women are taught to clean (I guess).  By the time men and women get to adulthood they should both be able to do just about anything.  Granted, I am only 5'2", so I can't reach much stuff and I can't lift really heavy things, that's part of my anatomy not my brain.  There are guys can be built strong or weak, as can women.  The processor/ RAM analogy also kinda confuses me for two reasons, 1)  I don't know much about compys and 2) I can think as quickly as a guy and guys can be just as methodical as I can.  It's not hard wired, it, like the physical abilities, varries from person to person.

PSPX

I just said it because it fit and you brought up the fact that you helped raise kids.  Neither really help or hurt our arguments, but they are the experiences we've had personally.
[right][snapback]726711[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Anyone who denies that there are differences between the sexes besides just the sex organs is either an idiot or willfully blind to reality.
Scientists have found many significant differences in the brain structure of men and women, as well as evidence of difference sense abilities between the sexes. But one does not need a doctorate to see that there are many behavioral, as well as physical differences between the sexes. One need only observe the other people of both sexes around him! In fact, one needs to be "educated" (indoctrinated) in absurd P.C. feminist ideology to deny this. (Ignore the facts when they contradict your ideology.)

The differences between the sexes cannot be explained away by "culture" or "society" as they apply to all human cultures. ONly our modern, politically correct culture tries (rather unsuccesfully) to do away with these differences.

The differences in the sexes are rooted in biology and nature, and are not mere human constructs. In fact in almost all mammals (humans are mammals) the males are larger, stronger, and more aggressive than the females, whgile the females are natural instinctual mothers. This can be observed by anyone who has pets or raises animals.
So where did those dumb beasts learn all this patricarchal sexist stereotyping?
And its well known that if you castrate a male animal, he becomes more docile, and less agressive, and gives up much of his male behavior.
Is this a learned cultural thing too?

There's no one more willfully ignorant than a P.C. academic who's "learned" how everything observable through common sense and experience is wrong. :rolleyes:

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 17 2005, 01:30 PM']While I agree with you, Toledo... I must clarify that men are bound in that they too must put their families before their careers. A job is a means to an end-- providing for the family. A man shouldn't put career ambitions ahead of the good of the family. Oftentimes men (and women, too) think that furthering their careers-- working long hours, travelling etc. is better for the family. I would say that this is sometimes true. But oftentimes it is the result of pride and the desire to "be" something in the workplace rather than "be" someone (ie Daddy) at home.
[right][snapback]727033[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm sorry, you are correct and I agree with you. I have been making hasty posts. Thank you for fleshing out my statement. ^_^

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Sep 18 2005, 10:34 PM']geez... toledo, u r showing off that chauvenism pretty well aren't you??? ;)  ;)
[right][snapback]729251[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
indeed, my friend. :cool:

It's one of my better qualities. :sweat:

track2004, The boy toy was always cooler than the girl toy at McDonalds... I mean, it moved! The only thing that moved on the Barbie was the hair.
It's a moot point. If there was a colouring books and crayon option most kids would take that one.

There's been lots of botched experiments with raising girls as boys, or boys as girls. One I remember clearly, the man found out they'd been giving him hormones, and had altered him physically, and he rejected it. He started on testosterone, had the necessary operations... and married.
But what the years of growing up injected with estrogen did to his face... it's terrible.

But I think there should be women in the workplace. Because they think slower, and more broadly, they're better suited to many jobs.
And personally, when it comes time for me to get a doctor, I'd prefer a lady.
But perhaps these women should consider a vocation to the single life?

[quote name='Sarah_JC' date='Sep 20 2005, 05:39 PM']
But perhaps these women should consider a vocation to the single life?
[right][snapback]731465[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

While I would not necessarily consider that a vocation properly speaking (a debate I am not willing to enter into here), I agree with you. You want a career, don't have kids. You want kids, postpone the carer till they are in school or something of that nature.

I want a career ( either a singer n a band, solo singer, nurse, psychologist, music therapist, OB/GYN, or social worker) but if i was married, i would so take time off to have children, to nurse them, and take care of them. When they were in school i would go back to work, but i wouldn't work full time until they were in college.

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Sep 20 2005, 08:32 PM']While I would not necessarily consider that a vocation properly speaking (a debate I am not willing to enter into here), I agree with you.  You want a career, don't have kids.  You want kids, postpone the carer till they are in school or something of that nature.
[right][snapback]731910[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

PSPX,

Being one who is called to the single life, I respectfully disagree with you. There is a vocation to the single life.

At this time, I am not married, nor do I have a vocation to priesthood or religious life. I am a supernumerary for Opus Dei, but I am not nor do I have any desire to enter into a relationship and marry.

There is most definitely think that there is a vocation to the single life. It is more commonly called the "Consecrated Life," but it is nevertheless a vocation.

Women are most often recognized in this, as consecrated virgins, however, there are men, such as myself and numeraries (of which I am discerning) of Opus Dei who are called to the single life.

While you are entitled to your opinion, the Catechism of the Catholic Church supports my position though.....please reference CCC 897-924.

I have a friend who is a Consecrated Virgin. It is a beautiful vocation and she is a wonderful person. I would say this, as well, she is a cardiologist at one of the major hospitals in the Twin Cities.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Sep 20 2005, 08:50 PM']PSPX,

Being one who is called to the single life, I respectfully disagree with you.  There is a vocation to the single life.

At this time, I am not married, nor do I have a vocation to priesthood or religious life.  I am a supernumerary for Opus Dei, but I am not nor do I have any desire to enter into a relationship and marry.

There is most definitely think that there is a vocation to the single life.  It is more commonly called the "Consecrated Life," but it is nevertheless a vocation.

Women are most often recognized in this, as consecrated virgins, however, there are men, such as myself and numeraries (of which I am discerning) of Opus Dei who are called to the single life.

While you are entitled to your opinion, the Catechism of the Catholic Church supports my position though.....please reference CCC 897-924.

I have a friend who is a Consecrated Virgin.  It is a beautiful vocation and she is a wonderful person.  I would say this, as well, she is a cardiologist at one of the major hospitals in the Twin Cities.
[right][snapback]731935[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Please refernce my post:

[quote]a debate I am not willing to enter into here[/quote]

Why am I not willing to enter this debate here in this thread? Because it would hijack the thread. My terms would need to be defined and nuance explained. Otherwise my comment cannot be understood properly. I'm not questioning what you said. I'm simply saying that I will not debate my position here. Period.

StatingTheObvious

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 16 2005, 09:22 AM']Well, I'll just say this: It's pretty hard for a one income family to live in the suburbs with two income families who have no intentions of paying off their debts (including their mortgages)...
[right][snapback]725369[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Then again, families could try to live within their means and can do it on 1 income. I do, my parents did, most of my fellow employees do. The difference is telling the difference between luxuries and necessities.

For example:
- 1 TV is plenty and they still broadcast to you for free.
- A movie is just as good 2 years later when they broadcast it.
- A VCR is a luxury and you can buy a working one at a garage sale for $10 and pay .50 for movies.
- A car will last 15 years or more if you take care of it.
- At legal speed limit, my 10 year old Cavalier will get me there at the same time as your $35,000 Nissan.
- Electric windows and door locks are luxuries and my windows and locks work just fine.
- $12 Jeans at wal-mart last just as long as $35 Levis. I don't buy socks at Burdines.
- I can eat my sandwich, cold leftovers, etc., out of my 'brown bag' faster than you can go to McDonalds and get a Big Mac.
- Water quenches thirst better than soda and I can afford lemon juice or lime juice if I want to be 'wild'.
- I don't have much cash, or make a ton, but I've got excellent credit for emergencies because I pay for neccessities as I go.
- Vacation is an escape from work, not from your home. I don't think many of us have houses in Hell that we have to escape from.
- Pay phones are still abundant and only cost 25cents for local. Society has survived for eons without instant communication to ask which flavor of $3 coffe to bring home from StarBucks.

[quote name='StatingTheObvious' date='Sep 21 2005, 10:57 AM']Then again, families could try to live within their means and can do it on 1 income.  I do, my parents did, most of my fellow employees do.  The difference is telling the difference between luxuries and necessities.

For example:
- 1 TV is plenty and they still broadcast to you for free.
- A movie is just as good 2 years later when they broadcast it.
- A VCR is a luxury and you can buy a working one at a garage sale for $10 and pay .50 for movies.
- A car will last 15 years or more if you take care of it.
- At legal speed limit, my 10 year old Cavalier will get me there at the same time as your $35,000 Nissan.
- Electric windows and door locks are luxuries and my windows and locks work just fine.
- $12 Jeans at wal-mart last just as long as $35 Levis.  I don't buy socks at Burdines.
- I can eat my sandwich, cold leftovers, etc., out of my 'brown bag' faster than you can go to McDonalds and get a Big Mac.
- Water quenches thirst better than soda and I can afford lemon juice or lime juice if I want to be 'wild'.
- I don't have much cash, or make a ton, but I've got excellent credit for emergencies because I pay for neccessities as I go.
- Vacation is an escape from work, not from your home.  I don't think many of us have houses in Hell that we have to escape from.
- Pay phones are still abundant and only cost 25cents for local.  Society has survived for eons without instant communication to ask which flavor of $3 coffe to bring home from StarBucks.
[right][snapback]732560[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:bigclap: :applause: :thumbsup: :banana: :clapping: :clap:

you are my hero.

Right. That's cheap living. I have less than that and I'm fine. But what happens when you add in:
-Car insurance
-School tuition (because we send our kids to Catholic schools or college)
-Food for the house hold
-Work suits
-Rent or house payments
-Health/ Home/ Life insurance
Things add up quickly...

And yeah you can live cheap, but why do the guys have to be the wage earners? Why can't women be? Guys can be stay at home dads. Girls can be educated and earn good money. Just because a family can life off one income doesn't mean it has to be the guys.