An Old School Catholic Message Board

Peace Sign

MC Just

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Sep 17 2005, 04:15 PM']Religion gives people hope, something to believe in, and SomeOne to lean on during the hard times.  It encourages ppl to be better, kinder.  Have u heard of organizations like Workcamp, Catholic Charities, Christian Children's Fund, Project Rachel, Rock for Life, and others?  If religion does more harm than good, then it guess it's wrong to heal from horrible things happening in your life.  One of my friends said that her faith helped her through the death of her sister.  And it's through a religious organization that a little friend of mine in Honduras is getting food, clothing, and the opportunity to an education.  Also, Mother Teresa, Mohandas Ghandi, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Harriet Tubman, St. Joan of Arc, Albert Einstein, Louis Pasteur, and Pope John Paul II were all religious ppl.  Also, my faith helps me get through my day, gives me something to look forward to and encourages me to be kinder than i want to be.  What can be wrong with that?
[right][snapback]727340[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Don't feed the troll. He's not interested in coherent thought.

How can a religion based on Truth be lies? There's just too much scientific evidence that points to the existence of a God (if some of the world's greatest scientists like Pasteur, Einstein, Mme. Curie, and probably others did) and also, there have been studies done to prove that Christians, particularly those who are practicing, go to church every week, live chastely, etc. are happier, and live longer than those who don't. And also, 2 billion ppl cannot be that deluded. That goes against logic way too much. Christianity has to be true and religion has to be helpful if the brightest scientists and most influential peace activists and philanthropists believed in something like that. Just look at history and science and it confirms it. As for corruption, wars, and persecution, those were not based on actual religion, but on people's perception of religion.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Chris of Zewe' date='Sep 17 2005, 04:37 PM']You seem to be pulling things out of your...ear...my friend.  After I saw "2 billion", I decided to ignore you.
[right][snapback]727375[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i'm pretty sure it was way before that Chris. when she said 2 billion she/he meant christians ;)

avemaria40, great post, i agree. :)

[quote name='Chris of Zewe' date='Sep 17 2005, 05:49 PM']Religion is the cause of every single societal problem in today's world, without exception.  End of story.
[right][snapback]727267[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, like hospitals...evil, evil, hospitals. Also orphanages, is there anything worse than them?

Perhaps Universities? You could have an arguement there.

Free-Market Capitalism is the result of religion-gone-wrong AKA Protestantism, especially reformed christianity a la John Calvin.

The problem with saying that all societal evils stem from religion, is that our entire society in some way stems from religion. It is too vague an assertion

[quote name='peach_cube' date='Sep 18 2005, 10:46 AM']The problem with saying that all societal evils stem from religion, is that our entire society in some way stems from religion.  It is too vague an assertion
[right][snapback]728469[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
...and wholeheartedly ignores any [i]good[/i] religion may have generated. Of course, next I expect to hear something along the lines of, "religion has brought about no societal good, only delusion thereof."

[quote name='Chris of Zewe' date='Sep 17 2005, 06:30 PM']Ad Hominem, I CHOOSE YOU!
[right][snapback]727361[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Absolutely the FUNNIEST thing I've ever seen a troll do.

:lol_pound:

Its the semephore for N & D, superimposed on each other. It stands for Nuclear Disarmarment.

The whole broken cross thing is a myth fitting of Jack Chick himself.