An Old School Catholic Message Board

Redemption for the Devil?

Guest JeffCR07

Guest JeffCR07

Now, hopefully this will not need to degenerate into a debate:

I was recently told that there is no Magisterial teaching which states that we must believe that Satan and the damned angels cannot repent and be saved.

I have the impression that I have read a teaching from an ecumenical council that defines contrary.

So, is there a Magisterial teaching concerning the confirmation of the fallen angels in their damnation?

[quote]Satan or the devil and the other demons are fallen angels who have freely refused to serve God and his plan. [b]Their choice against God is definitive[/b]. They try to associate man in their revolt against God.

--Catechism of the Catholic Church, #414[/quote]

Guest JeffCR07

Is there any infallible source? The catechism entry cites St. John Damascene, and while it is more than good enough for me personally, I think the person with whom I was speaking is looking for an infallible definition.

In Christ,

Jeff

[quote][This Council] also embraces, approves and accepts the fifth holy synod, the second of Constantinople, which was held in the time of our predecessor most blessed Vigilius and the emperor Justinian. In it the definition of the sacred council of Chalcedon about the two natures and the one person of Christ was renewed and many errors of Origen and his followers, especially about the penitence and liberation of demons and other condemned beings, were refuted and condemned.

--Session 11 of the Ecumenical Council of Florence

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/COUNCILS/FLORENCE.HTM"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/COUNCILS/FLORENCE.HTM[/url][/quote]

The reference is to Origen's "Apokatastasis", his theory that hell would be emptied at the end of time.

There were other universalist Fathers (eg, St. Gregory of Nyssa). But they were a minority, and their theories were formally condemned.

Edited by Era Might

Don John of Austria

As I understand it we may hold that the Fallen Angels could have repented for a period ( although I don't hold this view for reasons of the nature of angels ) but that now they cannot because they have infact already been damned, they have already been cast into Hell. Like a Human sent to Hell once there there is no repentance.

ive often wondered what is to come of evil at the end of times.......at this point it seems like god would already have made his point to the devil. Maybe this is when everyone in hell including the devil and fallen angels repent and are saved. Who knows.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Sep 15 2005, 03:38 PM']ive often wondered what is to come of evil at the end of times.......at this point it seems like god would already have made his point to the devil. Maybe this is when everyone in hell including the devil and fallen angels repent and are saved. Who knows.
[right][snapback]724583[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The Church knows and has spoken on the subject.

I was going to ask this question way back when, but I found out the answer before I posted it, and it has been already explained very breifly in this thread.