An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seminarians with same-sex attractions

argent_paladin

Should all those who apply to seminary be directly asked whether they have same-sex attractions, and if so, should all be turned away?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd pick the third one...except I'd specify that not only should they not have acted on it and be mature...but no one should know they are either.

A "don't ask, don't tell" principal...except with a major emphasis on chastity and maturity. It can't just be turning a blind eye...that led to too much pain.

It can't just be "as long as we don't find out that you are...it's okay"...

They should [u]actively [/u] investigate (though not ask the question directly unless there is serious evidence)...not just passively wait to find out.

But if the person doesn't say they have SSA, seems to be mature and chaste, and doesnt arouse any suspicion about their sexuality...they should probably not be made to feel guilty about entering seminary.

[quote name='batteddy' post='1057194' date='Sep 5 2006, 03:37 PM']
I'd pick the third one...except I'd specify that not only should they not have acted on it and be mature...but no one should know they are either.

A "don't ask, don't tell" principal...except with a major emphasis on chastity and maturity. It can't just be turning a blind eye...that led to too much pain.

It can't just be "as long as we don't find out that you are...it's okay"...

They should [u]actively [/u] investigate (though not ask the question directly unless there is serious evidence)...not just passively wait to find out.

But if the person doesn't say they have SSA, seems to be mature and chaste, and doesnt arouse any suspicion about their sexuality...they should probably not be made to feel guilty about entering seminary.
[/quote]Since remaining chaste and celibate for life is a big deal, what's the point of joinging a male culture, living with males, having sexual attraction for males, etc., pretty much seems like you're tempting fate. It's not as if they've matured sexually in the first place and sexual immaturity is a major contributor to the sexual problems of the molestng priests. It manifests itself as a murky sexual identity and encourages the person to explore his sexuality with others of the same sexual immaturity - teenage boys, young boys, very young men, men in general.
Try surfing the 'net and reading about it.
It's a sexual problem that's a problem, not vein of evil or a circumstance of no consequence. I wouldn't recommend choosing to become a priest, or a little leage coach, or a wrestling coach, or a teacher, or a boy scout leader, etc.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1048463' date='Aug 22 2006, 11:30 PM']
If you ban homosexuals there would be like 10 priests left in the USA.
[/quote]
Um, no....

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1057253' date='Sep 5 2006, 04:12 PM']
OK HSmom

What is your estimate of the number of "masculinity challenged" priests then?
[/quote]

from what i have read i'd say a third. but who really knows for sure??

1 or 1,000,000... what's the difference.. it's still wrong, they should not be in the preisthood.

[quote] t's still wrong, they should not be in the preisthood.[/quote]

But they ARE, and no one seems to give a plugged nickel about it.

In that lawsuit the "straight priests" in Miami county filed, they put it on record that 75% of ALL the Bishops in the USCCB are homosexual, and many are actively homosexual.

And the Vatican does WHAT about that?

Sends out position papers, and fogs the matter by CLAIMING to be tightening up the admissions programs to the seminaries. But HOW do you "clean up the Pink Palace, and Notre Flame", and the other notorious fleshpots they call formative schools, when the CATAMITE CLANs are runinng things, and the Vatican has said CLEARLY that NO priests who are already priests are going to be removed for buggery or sodomite proclivities?

In short, the system is rotten. From Vatican City where last year the Roman gay community was bragging that the Vatican is the ONLY nation on earth, with a majority of homosexuals as citizens, to the seminaries that are so rife with problems that ONLY when pictures such as this hit the news is anything done?

[img]http://www.traditioninaction.org/bev/bevimages/bv056_Polten03.jpg[/img]

[quote]Fr. Wolgang Rothe, at the left in the pictures, kisses a seminarian on the mouth.
Rothe was the vice-rector of Sankt Polten seminary.

Profil, online edition, July 12-17, 2004[/quote]

Even AFTER these pictures hit, they tried damage control, but it was ONLY when 15 % of the Roman Catholics in Austria went and DEREGISTERED as Roman Cahtolics { meaning that their taxes that were directed towards the Catholic Church no longer were automatically deducted via payroll deductions } did the Vatican FINALLY step in, over rule the local prelates and start serious damage control.