An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seminarians with same-sex attractions

argent_paladin

Should all those who apply to seminary be directly asked whether they have same-sex attractions, and if so, should all be turned away?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Budge' post='1045782' date='Aug 17 2006, 09:12 PM']
Big Whoop...

a number of priests you can count on one hand
[/quote]
The same thing can be said about Priests who are responsible for sexual abuse..

Doesn't matter who they are, it's still a sick, sick thing.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1045722' date='Aug 17 2006, 08:36 PM']I just GOOGLED two words, PRIEST and HOMOSEXUAL....and it returned 340,000 replies. Yeah, I'm just inventing[b] [u]STRAWMEN [/u][/b][/quote]
I just googled two words, FUNDAMENTALIST and HOMOSEXUAL...and it returned 719,000 replies. I googled EVANGELICAL and HOMOSEXUAL...and it returned 1,160,000 replies. Wow...big deal.

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1048504' date='Aug 22 2006, 09:00 PM']
I just googled two words, FUNDAMENTALIST and HOMOSEXUAL...and it returned 719,000 replies. I googled EVANGELICAL and HOMOSEXUAL...and it returned 1,160,000 replies. Wow...big deal.
[/quote]

I got 673,000 and 1,020,000 but safe search is on :ninja:

[quote] If you ban homosexuals there would be like 10 priests left in the USA.[/quote]

Isn't that the truth!

During the fracas leading up to the seminary inspections early this year, we monitored the gay sites, since they had a particular interest in this matter, to see what they were saying...

One wag, from the gay community of Rome, said "Vatican City, the ONLY majority homosexual nation on earth!" And honestly, I rather believed they were letting out a truth that the Curia would rather have not known.

Better to have 10 good priests and no molestors than 90 fair priests, 10 good priests and 1 molestor priest.

Just listen to Paul describing the NORMATIVE standards for clergy in his letters to his protoge Timothy, and your problems would decrease immensely, almost overnight.

Humans being human, the problems will NEVER completely go away, but you have stacked the deck in the wrong direction by ONLY allowing those who are ABNORMAL to seek the job in the first place.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1048716' date='Aug 23 2006, 06:24 AM']
Isn't that the truth![/quote]Actually, no it's not.

You are FOR homosexuals in the priesthood then?

Why?

Just read Romans wherein Paul lays out the reasons why homosexuals { INTRINTSICALLY DISORDERED as your guys put it } are totally unsuitable for leadership roles in Gods plan of salvation.

[quote]Romans 1:21 (KJV) Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful;[u] but became vain in their imaginations,[/u] and their foolish heart was darkened.

22[color="#990000"][b][u] Professing themselves to be wise, they became geniuses,[/u][/b][/color]

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore [u]God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:[/u]

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27[color="#990000"] [b]And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, [i]burned in their lust one toward another;[/i][/b] [/color]men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 [u]Without understanding,[/u] covenantbreakers, [u]without natural affection,[/u] implacable, unmerciful:[/quote]

It does not restrict it to ACTS note, it covers LUSTS too, LUSTS towards other men. And THAT dear sir, is the "Same Sex Attraction" even if not acted out upon with each other.

Now coupled with all the other verses, it is perfectly clear, that making such men leaders in the church is a path to the problems and shame that has been so evident in the past decades.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Eutychus' post='1048809' date='Aug 23 2006, 10:46 AM']You are FOR homosexuals in the priesthood then?

Why?[/quote]Where do you come up with this stuff?

Edited by Mateo el Feo

Once again, Eutychus makes absolutely no sense, and repeats arguments by rote, ignoring what we say in response, just throwing out slogans at us, repeating the same thing over and over again as though we're completely in the wrong and he's completely right, EVEN IF WE AGREE. Typical overzealous anti-Catholic.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1048463' date='Aug 22 2006, 10:30 PM']
If you ban homosexuals there would be like 10 priests left in the USA.
[/quote]
Nonsense. I myself personally know more than ten priests who are definitely not homosexual.

Celibacy does [b]not[/b] equal homosexuality.

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1048463' date='Aug 22 2006, 10:30 PM']
If you ban homosexuals there would be like 10 priests left in the USA.
[/quote] Are you saying almost all priests are homos? Arey you saying that the 10 hetero priests are the mistakes? Are you saying God created homos so they would be priests?

• 2 weeks later...

The difference between #1 and #2 is that some heterosexual seminarians may struggle with chastity, but this is natural, and it takes only mortification of the flesh and prayer. Homosexuality is not natural and not healthy (needs psychological help.) Thus, because it is an unhealthy mind orientation, those with it should not be allowed in. It is not a sin merely to be homosexual, and that is why it cant be fixed with chastity. The individual's mind would still not orientated correctly and he would not at that time be wise choice for a priest in the Church

of course, a repeated pattern of uncontrolled, unchaste heterosexual activity should also be grounds for expulsion or even a turning away.

Edited by Didymus