An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgical dreamworld

son_of_angels

OK, so I have always been obsessed with liturgy. Ergo, I attend the Tridentine Latin Mass.

Lately I have been toying with a mental puzzle. What would a liturgy with Tridentine liturgical principles re-applied to the Novus Ordo look like?

Here is my creation of liturgical genius, with helps from those crazy Dominicans to supply prayers for nasty liturgical problems caused by melding the two rites. Pardon the brief, unhelpful rubrics. I have only gotten as far as the end of the Canon.

Note: This is not my critique of the Church, just a presentation of some of my ideas in a concrete form about liturgical formation.

[quote][FONT=Arial]Novus Ordo Missae

High Mass (no Asperges)

1. Opening Rites

As the procession enters the Introit is sung according to the Propers of the Mass or some other Hymn.

The genuflects at the foot of the altar and begins with the prayer: Sacerdos: Actiones nostras, quaesumus Domine, aspirando praeveni et adjuvando prosequere; ut cuncta nostra operatio a te semper incipiat, et per te coepta finiatur. Per Christum Dominum nostrum.
Ministri: Amen

All kneel after the Priest's genuflection.

At the conclusion of the Introit or Entrance Hymn the priest begins saying or chanting, towards the altar.

Sacerdos: +In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
Populus: Amen.

most of the year,
S. Gratia vobis et pax a Deo Patre nostro et Domino Iesu Christo.
P. Benedictus Deus Pater Domini nostri Iesu Christi.

during Lent,

S. Adjutorium nostrum in nomine Domini
P. Qui fecit caelum et terram.

S.Fratres, agnoscamus peccata nostra, ut apti simus ad sacra mysteria celebranda.
All:Confiteor Deo omnipotenti, et beatae Mariae semper virgine, omnibus sanctis, et vobis, fratres, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo, opere et omissione, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa; Ideo precor beatam Mariam semper Virginem, omnes Angelos et Sanctos, et vos, fratres, orare pro me ad Dominum Deum nostrum.
Sacerdos: Misereatur nostri omnipotens Deus et, dimissis peccatis nostris, perducat nos ad vitam aeternam.
P. Amen
S.Indulgentiam, + absolutionem, et remissionem peccatorum nostrorum, tribuat nobis omnipotens et misericors Dominus.
P. Amen.
S. Deus tu conversus vivificabis nos.
P. Et plebs tua laetabitur in te.

II. Approach to the altar

The Choir begins the Kyrie

The priest ascends the altar, then kisses the altar saying secreto,

Aufer a nobis, quaesumus, Domine, iniquitates nostras ut ad Sancta sanctorum puris mereamur mentibus introire. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.

He then signs himself in the usual manner.

He then censes the altar, first blessing the incense.

Ab illo+ benedicaris in cuius honore cremaberis. Amen

He then goes to the Epistle side of the Altar and reads, in Latin or English, the Introit.

He should then say the Kyrie with the server.

III. Opening Praise

He then intones the Gloria according to the usual manner.

afterward,

S. Dominus vobiscum
P. Et cum spiritu tuo.
S. Oremus, (collect of the day) per omnia saecula saeculorum.
P. Amen.

IV. The readings-If low mass all may be read from the altar

First Reading- read from the lowest lectern, facing the altar
L. Verbum Domini
P. Deo Gratias.

Gradual

Second Reading-read from the same place
Sub-deacon. Verbum Domini
P. Deo Gratias.

Tract or Alleluia,
Sequence,

The deacon, in secret, prays
Deacon. Munda cor meum ac labia mea, omnipotens Deus, qui labia Isaiae Prophetae calculo mundasti ignito: ita me tua grata miseratione dignare mundare, ut sanctum Evangelium tuum digne valeam nuntiare. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen

Jube, domne benedicere
S. Dominus sit in corde tuo et in labiis tuis ut digne et competenter annunties evangelium suum: in nomine Patris, et Filii, +et Spiritus Sancti.
D. Amen

Gospel Reading from the place appointed, should be different from the Epistle.

D. Dominus vobiscum
P. Et cum spiritu tuo.
D. Sequentia sancti Evangelii secundum N.
P. Gloria tibi Domine

M. Deo Gratias

Sermon

The Credo is intoned from the middle of the altar by the Priest

He then says

S. Dominus vobiscum
P. Et cum spiritu tuo
S. Oremus,

The deacon, from the lowest lectern where the Epistle and Prophecy were read, reads, in the vernacular, the Prayers of the People, ending each with
D. ....Kyrie eleison.
P. Kyrie eleison.

Afterwards the Priest offers a prayer, according to the Missal for the reception of these intentions.

V. The Offertory
The Offertory is then begun by the choir and read by the priest, in English or Latin at the altar.

The Deacon presents the chalice saying,

D. Quid retribuam Domino pro omnibus quae retribuit mihi?
S. (elevating the chalice with the Deacon also grasping it) Calicem salutaris accipiam et nomen Domini invocabo.
D. (presenting the water) Jube, domne, benedicere.
S. +In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.
D. Amen.
S. (elevating the the Paten) Suscipe sancta Trinitas hanc oblationem, quam tibi offero in memoriam passionis Domini nostri Jesu Christi: et praesta, ut in conspectu tuo tibi placens ascendat, et meam et omnium fidelium salutem operetur aeternam.

Incense is blessed using the following formula,
Per intercessionem beati Michaelis Archangeli, stantis a dextris altaris incensi, et omnium electorum suorum, incensum istud dignetur Dominus benedicere +, et in odorem suavitatis accipere. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.

(while incensing the altar and gifts)Dirigatur, Domine, oratio mea sicut incensum in conspectu tuo: elevatio manuum mearum sacrificium vespertinum.

(as he returns the thurible)Accendat in nobis Dominus ignem sui amoris, et flammam aeterne caritatis. Amen.

Afterward all are censed according to the order of their ecclesial rank.

He then washes his fingers saying,
Lava me, Domine, ab iniquitate mea, et a peccato meo munda me.

He bows at the middle of the altar, saying,
In spiritu humilitatis et in animo contrito suscipiamur a te, Domine; et sic fiat sacrificium nostrum in conspectu tuo hodie, ut placeat tibi, Domine Deus.

He then turns to the people and proclaims alound,

S. Orate, fratres: ut meum ac vestrum sacrificium acceptabile fiat apud Deum Patrem omnipotem.

Populi. Suscipiat Dominus sacrificium de manibus tuis ad laudem et gloriam nominis sui, ad utilitatem quotue nostram totiusque Ecclesiae suae sanctae.

The Prayer over the gifts is said,
P. Amen.

VI. Preface

The Preface is said as is customary, in the place appointed, ending with the Sanctus.

VII. Canon

For the Church

Te ígitur, clementíssime Pater, per Jesum
Christum Fílium tuum, Dóminum nostrum, súpplices rogámus, ac pétimus, uti accépta hábeas, et benedícas, hæc + dona, hæc + múnera, hæc + sancta sacrifícia illibáta, in primis, quæ tibi offérimus pro Ecclésia tua sancta cathólica: quam pacificáre, custodíre, adunáre, et régere dignéris toto orbe terrárum: una cum fámulo tuo Papa nostro N . . . et Antístite nostro N . . . et ómnibus orthodóxis, atque cathólicæ et apostólicæ fídei cultóribus.

Meménto, Dómine, famulórum famularúmque tuárum N . . . et N . . . et ómnium circumstántium, quorum tibi fides cógnita est, et nota devótio, pro quibus tibi offérimus: vel qui tibi ófferunt hoc sacrifícium laudis, pro se, suísque ómnibus: pro redemtióne et incolumitátis suæ: tibíque reddunt vota sua ætérno Deo, vivo et vero.

Communicántes, et memóriam venerántes, in primis gloriósæ semper Vírginis Maríæ, Genitrícis Dei et Dómini nostri Jesu Christi: sed et beáti Joseph ejúsdem Vírginis Sponsi, et beatórum Apostolórum ac Mártyrum tuórum, Petri et Pauli, André æ, Jacóbi, Joánnis, Thomæ, Jacóbi, Philíppi, Bartholomæi, Matthæi, Simónis et Thaddæi: Lini, Cleti, Cleméntis, Xysti, Cornélii, Cypriáni, Lauréntii, Chrysógoni, Joánnis et Pauli, Cosmæ et Damiáni: et ómnium Sanctórum tuórum; quorum méritis precibúsque concédas, ut in ómnibus protectiónis tuæ muniámur auxílio. Per eúndem Christum Dóminum nostrum. Amen.

Prayers at Consecration

The bells are rung once.

The priest spreads his hands over the offering and says:

Hanc ígitur oblatiónem servitútis nostræ, sed et cunctæ famíliæ tuæ, quæsumus, Dómine, ut placátus accípias: diésque nostros in tua pace dispónas, atque ab ætérna damnatióne nos éripi, et in electórum tuórum júbeas grege numerári. Per Christum Dóminum nostrum. Amen.

Quam oblatiónem tu, Deus, in ómnibus, Qæsumus, bene+díctam, adscríp+tam, ra+tam, rationábilem, acceptabilémque fácere dignéris: ut nobis Cor+pus, et San+guis fiat dilectíssimi Fílii tui Dómini nostri Jesu Christi.

The priest takes the host in his hands and says aloud:

Qui prídie quam paterétur, accépit panem in sanctus ac venerábiles manus suas, et elevátis óculis in cælum ad te Deum Patrem suum omnipoténtem, tibi grátias agens, bene+díxit, fregit, dedítque discípulis suis, dicens: Accípite, et manducáte ex hoc omnes:

The priest bows low and says:

Hoc est enim Corpus Meum.

The priest genuflects while the bells are rung once. Then he rises, elevates the Host and the bells are rung three times. Putting the Host on the corporal he genuflects again while the bells are rung once. He then uncovers the chalice and says:

Símili modo postquam coenátum est,
  The priest takes the chalice in both hands and continues:

accípiens et hunc præclárum Cálicem in sanctas ac venerábiles manus suas: item tibi grátias agens, bene+díxit, dedítque discípulis suis, dicens: Accípite, et bíbite ex eo omnes:

The priest bends over the chalice and says:

Hic est enim Calix Sánguinis Mei, novi et ætérni testaménti: Mystérium Fídei: qui pro vobis et pro multis effundétur in remissiónem peccatórum.

Hæc quotiescúmque fecéritis, in mei memóriam faciétis.

The priest genuflects while then bells are rung once. Then he rises, elevates the chalice and the bells are rung three times. After putting the chalice on the corporal and covering it, he genuflects again while the bells are rung once.

With hands extended the priest continues silently

Unde et mémores, Dómine, nos servi tui, sed et plebs tua sancta, ejústdem Christi Fílii tui Dómini nostri tam beátæ passiónis necnon et ab ínferis resurrectiónis, sed et in cælos gloriósæ ascensiónis: offérimus præcláræ majestáti tuæ de tuis donis, ac datis,

Bringing his hands together, the priest makes the Sign of the Cross five times.

hóstiam + puram, hóstiam + sanctam, hóstiam + immaculátem, Panem + sanctum vitæ ætérnæ, et Cálicem + salútis perpétuæ.
  The priest extends his hands and continues:

Supra quæ propítio ac seréno vultu respícere dignéris: et accépta habére, sícuti accépta habére dignátus es múnera púeri tui justi Abel, et sacrifícium Patriárchæ nostri Abrahæ: et quod tibi óbtulit summus sacérdos tuus Melchísedech, sanctum sacrifícium, immaculátam hóstiam.
  Deign to look upon them with a favorable and gracious countenance, and to accept them as Thou didst accept the offerings of Thy just servant Abel, and the sacrifice of our Patriarch Abraham, and that which Thy high priest Melchisedech offered up to Thee, a holy Sacrifice, an immaculate Victim.

The priest bows over the Altar and joins his hands saying:

Súpplices te rogámus, omnípotens Deus: jube hæc perférri per manus sancti Angeli tui in sublíme altáre tuum, in conspéctu divínæ majestátis tuæ: ut quotquot ex hac altáris participatióne sacrosánctum Fíii tui, Cor+pus, et Sán+guinem sumpsérimus, omni benedictióne cælésti et grátia repleámur. Per eúndem Christum Dóminum nostrum. Amen.

Meménto étiam, Dómine, famulórum famularúmque tuárum N . . . et N . . . qui nos præcessérunt cum signo fídei, et dórmiunt in somno pacis. Ipsis, Dómine, et ómnnibus in Christo quiescéntibus, locum refrigérii, lucis et pacis, ut indúlgeas, deprecámur. Per eúndem Christum Dóminum nostrum. Amen.

The priest strikes his breast, says the first three words aloud, and then continues silently:

Nobis quoque peccatóribus fámulis tuis, de multitúdine miseratiónum tuárum sperántibus, partem áliquam, et societátem donáre dignéris, cum tuis sanctis Apóstolis et Martýribus: cum Joánne, Stéphano, Matthía, Bárnaba, Ignátio, Alexándro, Marcellíno, Petro, Felicitáte, Perpétua, Agatha, Lúcia, Agnéte, Cæcília, Anastásia, et ómnibus Sanctis tuis: intra quorum nos consórtium, non æstimátor mériti, sed véniæ, quæsumus, largítor admítte. Per Christum Dóminum nostrum.

Final Doxology & Minor Elevation

Per quem hæc ómnia, Dómine, semper bona creas, sanctí+ficas, viví+ficas, bene+dícas, et præstas nobis.

The priest uncovers the chalice and genuflects. Holding the Host in his right hand and the chalice in his left, he makes the Sign of the Cross five times over the chalice, saying:

Per ip+sum, et cum ip+so, et in ip+so, est tibi Deo Patri + omnipoténti, in unitáte Spíritus + Sancti, onis honor, et glória.

He puts the Host down, covers the chalice, genuflects, and then says aloud:

Per ómnia sæcula sæculórum.

P. Amen.[/quote]

Yeah, so give me all your critiques and such.

why not simply have the NO offered in STRICT conformity to the norms and directives of Sancrosanctum Concilium and the GIRM??? I dont understand why people are so intent on dismantling the NO and going completely back to the TLM....

I am not saying that this is happening here... but i just wanted to vent....

the TLM is beautiful, but so is the Missa Normativa....

Well, one of my big liturgical issues with the NO, and it isn't a doctrinal thing or any sort of criticism of the Magisterium whatsoever, is that the Penitential Rite, which replaces the prayers at the foot of the altar, are said from the presider's chair.
This means that there is no movement towards the altar at all, against what, testified by early witnesses, where the Kyrie was used in the procession to the altar. The Kyrie litany itself was originally intended for this purpose, while the Introit was, indeed, a later development tacked on at the beginning. So my idea was to take the Opening Rites and have them from the foot of the altar and come up with something to replace the original "Prayers at the foot" That way the liturgy would move in clear stages, ergo, 1. Foot of the altar (private preparation) 2. Preparation of the People 3. Approach 4. Gloria Then follows the Liturgy of the Word, at which the priest remains at the altar, turned towards it during the first reading, seated at the Gradual (which he should recite before going to his seat) until the Alleluia when he processes, with the Gospels, first to the Deacon, who takes it to the ambo.

This concept of carefully thought out movement is really the only thing I tried to solve with this liturgy, supplied with a few prayers from the Dominicans that fulfil the concept, together with a careful revision of the Offertory rite, which maintained the simplicity, beauty, and dialogue of the NO Offertory rite (which I think, of itself, has great merit)j.

Edited by son_of_angels

How about taking a look at this.....

[url="http://stagnes.net/media/downloads/latin_english_mass.pdf"]Here[/url] is exactly how it is to be done. Tridentine principles with Novus Ordo practices.

Who could ask for anything more. It is done this way every Sunday and several times a week.

1. Sunday Solemn High Mass
2. Saturday morning High Mass (Missa Cantata)
3. Every funeral (Requiem)
4. Weekly High School Mass (usually accompanied by high school schola and choir singing polyphony of some sort)

[quote name='Cam42' date='Sep 14 2005, 03:43 PM']How about taking a look at this.....

[url="http://stagnes.net/media/downloads/latin_english_mass.pdf"]Here[/url] is exactly how it is to be done.  Tridentine principles with Novus Ordo practices.

Who could ask for anything more.  It is done this way every Sunday and several times a week.

1.  Sunday Solemn High Mass
2.  Saturday morning High Mass (Missa Cantata)
3.  Every funeral (Requiem)
4.  Weekly High School Mass (usually accompanied by high school schola and choir singing polyphony of some sort)
[right][snapback]723204[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
He's back!

It's nice. Don't go away anymore.

/hijack

I won't......not until my hard drive crashes again.....but that should be a couple of years from now.....I have only had one crash since I got the 'puter.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Sep 14 2005, 03:52 PM']I won't......not until my hard drive crashes again.....but that should be a couple of years from now.....I have only had one crash since I got the 'puter.
[right][snapback]723214[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Good! :)

The problems I was trying to solve were actual rubrical problems. For example, if you follow the GIRM there is no movement towards the altar following or during the Kyrie. This is contrary to early witnesses about the customs of the church of Rome, and finds no antecedent in previous church practices. Basically my idea was to recreate, using liturgical texts from the new rites, as well as the Sarum and old Tridentine rites, this sense of movement.

As I said before, the Offertory sequence badly needs renewal, especially to emphasize the deacon's role in relation to the Chalice. In the old Rite, for example, the Deacon would hold the chalice and say the Offertory prayers over it with the celebrant. In the rite I propose it is part of a liturgical dialogue.

I would also be for the Subdeacon taking back the role of chanting part of the Sanctus and the beginning Versicle of the Gradual.

Of course, I don't criticize the texts themselves, only the Rubrics of the GIRM, as they lay down fairly inactive (may I call them boring) guidelines for movement around the altar. The old rite had its problems with this as well, with various solutions suggested for fixing the problem (for instance the constant movement of the Priest from the altar to the chair because he would get done with the Gloria, the Credo, or the Gradual before the Choir, though the new rite seems to have fixed that problem). I also suggest allowing the first part of the Canon to be said in secret so that more worthy settings of the Sanctus could be used without the priest just standing at the altar looking like an idiot. It almost seems like the Priests who put together many of the modern rubrics simply didn't want to leave their chairs (he he).