An Old School Catholic Message Board

Birth Control Pills

philothea

What do you think of women using birth control pills for medical reasons -- like to stop excessive bleeding?

(I'd say more, but I'd rather hear replies without further prompting.)

It is moral to use the pill for a medical reason such as this, but if she is married they can not have sex while she is on the pill because it is a form of contraception and could lead to an abortion.

As far as I have ever been told though there are always alternatives to using the Pill for various medical reasons.

[quote name='philothea' date='Sep 11 2005, 09:08 PM']What do you think of women using birth control pills for medical reasons -- like to stop excessive bleeding?

(I'd say more, but I'd rather hear replies without further prompting.)
[right][snapback]719868[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There are other ways to stop the bleeding. Using the pill is hiding a symptom instead of treating the cause.

If it is absolutely necessary and not an abortifacent, Pope Paul VI said it's okay. :)

And the couple can also have sex if it's not an abortifacent.

Pill = evil.

According to what I read, the Catholic position is there are always alternatives to the Pill (except for killing babies in the way it does, although you now can get a patch that does what the Pill does).

God bless,
Mikey

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Sep 11 2005, 09:42 PM']If it is absolutely necessary and not an abortifacent, Pope Paul VI said it's okay.  :)

And the couple can also have sex if it's not an abortifacent.
[right][snapback]719903[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:huh: waitaminute.
I'm not following what you're saying here.

From what I've heard, doctors in general overperscribe the pill like CRAZY. It also causes increased risks of ovarian cancer. In terms of morality, what everyone above me said. In terms of safety - look for other alternatives!

Here's a link from ZENIT on oral contraceptives and the risk of cancer:
[url="http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=76151"]http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=76151[/url]

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Sep 11 2005, 09:41 PM']:huh: waitaminute.
I'm not following what you're saying here.
[right][snapback]719998[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Pope Paul VI said that if anything taken for purely medical reasons has the side effect of a contraceptive, it can be okay to use...that is assuming it doesn't cause an abortion.

However, the couple can not want the contraception, but rather are open to life.

[quote]Lawful Therapeutic Means

15. On the other hand, the Church does not consider at all illicit the use of those therapeutic means necessary to cure bodily diseases, even if a foreseeable impediment to procreation should result there from—provided such impediment is not directly intended for any motive whatsoever. (19) [/quote]

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Sep 11 2005, 10:04 PM']Pope Paul VI said that if anything taken for purely medical reasons has the side effect of a contraceptive, it can be okay to use...that is assuming it doesn't cause an abortion.[right][snapback]720125[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That makes sense.

The pill works by curing the symptoms. I think it would be best to seek out what is causing the irregularities and fix it at its source. This is also where NFP (oh no, not another big debate) is handy. By tracking the cycle, a woman can note any change and report it to her doctor. If she were taking a hormonal based contraceptive/abortifant, the problem wouldn't be noticeable until later.

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Sep 12 2005, 12:31 AM']The pill works by curing the symptoms. I think it would be best to seek out what is causing the irregularities and fix it at its source. This is also where NFP (oh no, not another big debate) is handy. By tracking the cycle, a woman can note any change and report it to her doctor. If she were taking a hormonal based contraceptive/abortifant, the problem wouldn't be noticeable until later.
[right][snapback]720217[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Agreed one hundred thousand percent.

I could take the pill and be normal, but it would hide the symptoms of my condition. Instead I'm seeing an endochrinologist to try and get to the source of the problem - then treat it accordingly. If your doctor simply puts you on the pill as "the cure" ask again, or see another doctor or seek out an endochrinologist - usually under the heading of Reproductive endochrinologist - in that they deal with the reproductive system.

Hope that helps! God bless you!

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Sep 12 2005, 12:04 AM']Pope Paul VI said that if anything taken for purely medical reasons has the side effect of a contraceptive, it can be okay to use...that is assuming it doesn't cause an abortion.

However, the couple can not want the contraception, but rather are open to life.
[right][snapback]720125[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ok, but how many pills do in fact have an abortifacient quality? I thought I heard that most of them do.