An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic political parties

son_of_angels

I really, really, think that in America, we need a socially conservative, pro-life, fiscally responsible, yet compassionate, Catholic political party.

Something like "the Social Conservative party," or "the Confraternity of American Laity" or the "Union of St. Thomas Beckett" or some such.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

don't worry. once we have a hispanic majority. their will be such a party.

Dominus Vobiscum,

sam

Edited by Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

The problem with this is that there is no such thing as "Catholic" politics. There are so many things that Catholics legitimately disagree on, politically. Any Catholic party, I think, would have to define as little as possible (ie, limit itself to a committment to Catholic doctrine and Catholic principles). Otherwise, it ceases to be a Catholic support group as such, and is just a political party (not that that would be wrong, but it would only work for Catholics who agreed with its political outlook).

So, maybe more of a Catholic "fraternity", as you propose, that does not function as a political party per se, but tries to help Catholics not only apply their faith to their politics, but facilitates discussion and dialogue on matters of legitimate disagreement.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='Sep 11 2005, 08:20 AM']I really, really, think that in America, we need a socially conservative, pro-life, fiscally responsible, yet compassionate, Catholic political party. 

Something like "the Social Conservative party," or "the Confraternity of American Laity" or the "Union of St. Thomas Beckett" or some such.
[right][snapback]719138[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I dunno. Then we'd have all these other religions wanting thier own party. The majority of Catholics are not dedicated Catholics. Even with a majorly Catholic population, this wouldn't work out.

I dont' think that being a Republican or a Democrat makes you un-Catholic you just have to apply your faith to political choices.

As a Democrat I try to support Democratic politicians who are consistently pro-life, such as Bob Casey Jr. in PA, who happenes to be the best politician ever and will beat Santorum by a landslide in 06.

We can always pray, pray, pray that the Holy Father will speak decisively on the need for Catholics to vote together and mold their nations into truly Catholic nations, and for a spirit of obedience and piety. That will lead us to a truly "Catholic" political movement.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Sep 11 2005, 08:23 AM']don't worry. once we have a hispanic majority. their will be such a party.

Dominus Vobiscum,

sam
[right][snapback]719141[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

While I try to be optimistic about Hispanics having a good influence in this country, the truth is that most Hipanics vote Democrat (though some say this is changing.)
Also, I read that many American Hispanics are losing their faith or becoming irreligious. And all too many Hispanics (like other Catholics) are only nominally or "culturally" Catholic.

And unfortunately, as a whole, "Catholics" no longer are a strong coherent voice in American politics. While serious orthodox Catholics tend to be politically conservative, as a whole, most identifying themselves as "Catholic," are, if anything, more liberal than the average American, including on moral issues such as abortion and homosexuality.

Socrates, the HIspanic Catholics are rolling in, and most who come are no more religious or irreligious than before. Simply, now they no longer are in a Caholic atmosphere and express their own personal level of conviction in the Faith (which usually falls short of that in a Catholic atmosphere). However, I recently went to a Mass said in Spanish, and it was packed (and very different, quite an experience). I don't know abotu the whole voting democrat thing either, with Mel Martinez who ran for the Republican party, he sure did get a nice chunk of that Hispanic vote.

There have been purely Catholic parties in history, and let me tell you, not only did they have a strong voice, they were very proactive. In fact, many of the said party opposed HItler and his regimn. Funny thing, when Catholic get together, they make quit ea bang. All Catholics who are faithful have the same politics. The real problem is, how many of the Faithful are out there? Many are misinformed and some aren't seirous about their Faith. However, a Catholic party state-side would really be ineffective simply because the States have a very weak Catholic tradition and would probably only remove Catholic votes from the (usually) conservative Republican party. If anything, it would have to be a Catholic center party that is morally on the Right and socially on the left (ie, help the poor, and keep in line with God's law) before it could fin election winning success. I think many Catholics, faithful or unfaithful, informed or misinformed, would stand behind such a party. However, the problems are many. For one, the States have a bi-partisan system which leaves minority parties outside of the equation. Secondly the Catholic population in the States as it stands, is hardly big enough to win an election on it's own (the Catholic Faith has the largest number of adherents in the United States in comparison to any other Faith group, but this really means little when one sees the sheer multitude of other faith groups). This leads to the issue of a name, if Catholic is inserted, non-Catholics will be warry to put in a vote; however, if the name isn't put in, then likely the party will fall outside of the Catholic moral teachings to gain the protestant vote.

It's a good idea, but the States, as they stand, are not fertile soil.

God bless,
Mikey

Edited by MichaelFilo

[quote]All Catholics who are faithful have the same politics. [/quote]

This is not at all true. All faithful Catholics have the same moral principles that guide their politics. But there are legitimate disagreements on many key political issues, including but not limited to the economy, national security, education, etc.

Even going to radical extremes, Catholics can disagree on the fundamental political order. For example, a Catholic is certainly within his rights to prefer a monarchy over democracy. He will be an overwhelming minority, and his opinion won't have any real prospect for implementation, but he can still hold it, so long as he is respectful of the legitimate opinions of other Catholics.

This is why I don't like the idea of a Catholic political "party". A confraternity definitely sounds good. It can facilitate reflection on Church teaching and the free exchange of ideas, within the boundaries of Catholic orthodoxy. Bishops can really only provide moral guidelines. The laity, however, can get into the nitty gritty of politics, because it is their proper duty.

Edited by Era Might

I made that statement with good reason. For one, the type of governemnt isn't an issue, becuase if it's a political party, it's probably a republic or democracy. Secondly, I made a reference to the social and moral standings that the party would have to take to be successful (that is, espouse the majority). Not every Catholic would fit the mold, but the majority do fit the morally conservaitve, socially left mold. Economy is always a toss-up, but again, the party would have to be more left. That pretty much espouses the Catholic who doens't mind being a Catholic in America. Or at least, it's something most Catholics in the US would be willing to agree on. (IE, I'd be willing to have a more leftist economic policy if we have a more activist voice against abortion and contraception (although the second is hard to swallow for most Catholics nowadays)). And average Joe Catholic who probably isn't living up the moral calling of the Church wouldn't mind putting in av ote for higher morality to see some more funding for social security and foodstamps.

Anyways, I might be wrong, but thats the only way to get a successful Catholic party going. Note, it's not really reflexive of Catholics on PM as a majority, but again, most Catholics aren't like us on PM (I hope I didn't blow anyones mind there).

God bless,
Mikey

I don't think a "Catholic party" would necessarily be "socially Left." Many serious, orthodox Catholics are politically conservative overall (many to the right of the mainstream GOP).

And many liberal Catholics are hardly Catholic (i.e. "cafeteria Catholics") and would not particularly care about "voting Catholic." These "liberal Catholics" also tend to favor "abortion rights" and "gay rights" more than protestants in this country.

I agree that as things stand, a Catholic party would probably not be feasible, but that such a party would by no means necessarily "swing left" on social/economic issues. i'd say serious Catholics remain heavily divided on these issues, and overall, would actually swing right.

Perhaps what we need is a neo-Guelph party in the U.S. where the only principle is absolute subjection to the opinions of the Roman pontiff. That way, disagreements could still occur on many issues but the overreaching moral issues would be addressed in a truly Catholic way.