An Old School Catholic Message Board

Exorcisms

Dominus

Prior to seeing the movie, the Exorcism of Emily Rose, I didn't really know if I believed in exorcisms. I now really believe in them. I mean, I had no idea that people who are children of God and people who are deeply religious can be subjected to demonic possession. In essence, this completely scares me. I mean, I'm strong in my faith, but can I truely be possessed?

I leave it up to you to decide whether or not you believe in them, but I just want opinions and a healthy debate as to why you do or do not believe in them.

A word of advice:

Don't base your belief in exorcism on Emily Rose. It's a movie. It may or may not be true, and the facts may or may not be theologically accurate in some places.

Rather, base your faith on the Gospels, which record the Lord himself driving out demons, and on the faith of the Church, who has believed for 2,000 years in the existence of evil and the power of Christ to cast it out.

For further information, see "An Exorcist Tells his Story" and "An Exorcist: More Stories" by Father Gabriele Amorthe, who is the chief exorcist for the diocese of Rome.

Luke 11:

24* When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out.
25 And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished.
26 Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.

You have to make sure something else inhabits your heart. The key is not leaving it empty.

they are for real yes.

If you don't want to much to worry about, wear a scapular like it is meant to be worn. Wear it as a "prayer".

Satan doesn't like those.