An Old School Catholic Message Board

Being catholic

Semalsia

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Raphael' date='Sep 10 2005, 08:10 PM']I don't like red wine or cigars..
[right][snapback]718601[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You're nuts!!

hehe j/k :woot:

I actually laugh when I read that. "The Catholic Church has the truth." Of course you think the Catholic Church has the truth! You're Catholic!!

The Catholic Church has a lot of half-truths and heresies. Of course, you don't think that because, once again, you're Catholic. I will agree however that Protestant services are horrible.

photosynthesis

the Orthodox have the Eucharist too...

Being Catholic can be really hard sometimes, as it is a daily battle of dying to oneself and living for Christ. It can be really difficult and at times it demands sacrifice. But the rewards are eternal and worth more than anything the world has to offer. There is nothing more amazing than knowing that no matter what happens, my life is in God's hands.

[quote name='Mikhail' date='Sep 12 2005, 12:18 AM']I actually laugh when I read that. "The Catholic Church has the truth." Of course you think the Catholic Church has the truth! You're Catholic!!

The Catholic Church has a lot of half-truths and heresies. Of course, you don't think that because, once again, you're Catholic. I will agree however that Protestant services are horrible.
[right][snapback]720059[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

that post is screaming: debate.

[quote name='Mikhail' date='Sep 11 2005, 11:18 PM']I actually laugh when I read that. "The Catholic Church has the truth." Of course you think the Catholic Church has the truth! You're Catholic!!

[/quote]

Clearly you are bankrupt on proof.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Mikhail' date='Sep 11 2005, 10:18 PM']"The Catholic Church has the truth." [/quote]
I'm just gonna take that passage out of context.

Woohoo!! Amen brother!! :woot:

The Catholic Church has the truth!! :yahoo:

[quote name='Mikhail' date='Sep 11 2005, 11:18 PM']I actually laugh when I read that. "The Catholic Church has the truth." Of course you think the Catholic Church has the truth! You're Catholic!!

[/quote]

Many people here are converts who deliberately and after much thought and preparation chose Catholicism because it contains the Truth. They left the generics and fundys and evangelicals and Baptists and Anglicans to come home to the Catholic Church, ya know , the one founded by Jesus Christ.

There are so many converts in my diocese alone, the Bishop's welcoming celebration has to take place on two successive Sundays to accomodate the immense crowds of people converting.

If you have issues that you are confused on, we will be glad to explain it to you - one thread at a time. :D:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Sep 12 2005, 07:15 AM']If you have issues that you are confused on, we will be glad to explain it to you - one thread at a time. :D:
[right][snapback]720283[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's a sweet line. [i]"One thread at a time"[/i]

:cool:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Sep 12 2005, 08:25 AM']That's a sweet line. [i]"One thread at a time"[/i]

:cool:
[right][snapback]720285[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I rather liked it myself :lol:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Mikhail' date='Sep 11 2005, 11:18 PM']The Catholic Church has a lot of half-truths and heresies. Of course, you don't think that because, once again, you're Catholic.
[/quote]

Hello Mikhail, I'd like to introduce you to what I call the [b]cop-out fallacy[/b]...it's essential form is as follows:

"You're wrong, but your wrongness necessitates that you couldn't know any better."

For instance, one might claim, "You're wrong about the sky's color. It's pink. However, because you think it's blue, you couldn't know better."

The fallacy is, of coure, insulting, for starters. One cannot make a claim (especially one which insults the beliefs of another) and then set up the case for automatic invincible ignorance. This presupposes that the claim is correct (without backing it up), and further explains that any disagreement is simply due to a flaw in the opposing school of thought (also without backing it up). Therefore, it essentially is another form of the "I'm right because I am and you're wrong because you are" fallacy.

:)

Raphael,

That would be an interesting fallacy, if that's indeed what I said. However, if you read my posts, I never once said that "you were wrong". This whole thread was started to elevate Catholics, which was fine; until someone started elevating Catholics by putting down other Christians. That's fine to. If you need to put down someone to make yourself feel better, more power to you. I wasn't saying that I was right and you were wrong. All I was saying is that everyone thinks they are right. So to say "i'm right because I'm right" is idiotic and pointless. I wasn't trying to prove that I was right or that you were wrong. I was merely pointing out that it doesn't raise Catholics up to put others down.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Mikhail' date='Sep 13 2005, 09:04 PM']Raphael,

That would be an interesting fallacy, if that's indeed what I said. However, if you read my posts, I never once said that "you were wrong". This whole thread was started to elevate Catholics, which was fine; until someone started elevating Catholics by putting down other Christians. That's fine to. If you need to put down someone to make yourself feel better, more power to you. I wasn't saying that I was right and you were wrong. All I was saying is that everyone thinks they are right. So to say "i'm right because I'm right" is idiotic and pointless. I wasn't trying to prove that I was right or that you were wrong. I was merely pointing out that it doesn't raise Catholics up to put others down.
[right][snapback]722273[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Seems to me that you were making the point that the Catholic Church had heresies...and then saying that we, being Catholic, wouldn't see that...sounds to me like...well, you know...

However, I agree that bashing another's religion isn't the way to support your own.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

you silly protestants

need to stop complaining about catholics............

and making snide remarks

either debate relegion or don't

but don't make this comments negativley critizcizing Catholicism.