An Old School Catholic Message Board

Philosophy and Science

qfnol31

Should study of science and God be separate?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

Theology is the queen of the sciences, philosophy is the handmaid of Theology, and natural philosophy (aka science) is arranged hierarchically below the higher branches of philosophy (namely metaphysics).. Call me a medieval if you will. I am not ashamed. :D:

[quote name='philothea' date='Sep 10 2005, 02:57 AM']Please define your terms.
[right][snapback]717913[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

May I be funny? :)

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Sep 10 2005, 03:02 AM']May I be funny?  :)
[right][snapback]717916[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If you like, though I am beginning to get irritated for the first time ever on Phatmass, so I can't promise to be amused.

My opinion:

I think science has a seperate and distinct objective from philosophy, as well as different (some might claim more stringent) requirements in establishing itself as fact. These requirements are met using the scientific method.

Philosophy is less constrained by physical and mathematical proofs, and rather relies more upon logic built upon concepts of faith. As a result, it is very well suited to explain things that are not definable by these same proofs, such as the supernatural.

I think it is a truly beautiful thing when science and philosophy find common ground in which they compliment each other. However, this very juncture is frought with misleading conclusions that members of every cause will exploit to further their own interpretations of reality. To be fair, I also see this realm as one of the most entertaining and challenging of any for discussions in which one may engage with another.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Sep 10 2005, 03:08 AM']Oh, I'm sorry.  :(  Why is that?
[right][snapback]717920[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm just being oversensitive. :( I'm sure you know the topic that's bothering me (as it inspired this one).

Blah.

Anyway, do tell me your definitions, cause I can't vote otherwise. :)

Well, I was going to be sarcastic (I've read too much Bacon this week, and since I can't eat any, his name has caused me to go overly hungry all week, craving some nice bacon......)

J/K. :P:

They're pretty much what you think of them:

Science is the study of physics, metaphysics, math, etc.
Philosophy is the study of wisdom and such...don't know how much to say here quite yet, but I guess the standard definition of philosophy.

And I can't think of anything else...

Besides being Catholic, I have a huge interest in this. That actually mostly because I'm a philosophy major and I'm studying, right now, the differences between the Presocratics and Bacon (Ancient and Early Modern Philosophies).

I've actually gotten pretty tired of Bacon, and am really sad because almost everyone today thinks in the Modern mindset, though they don't realize it. :( :idontknow:

:yawn:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Sep 10 2005, 02:59 AM']Theology is the queen of the sciences, philosophy is the handmaid of Theology, and natural philosophy (aka science) is arranged hierarchically below the higher branches of philosophy (namely metaphysics).. Call me a medieval if you will. I am not ashamed. :D:
[right][snapback]717915[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's an interesting classification and I agree with it in the sense of how inclusive each field, as it were, is regarding aspects of reality that they address. For example science, being on the lowest rung, attempts to explain only physical reality. As one ascends the hierarchy, more, deeper aspects of reality are addressed.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='hierochloe' date='Sep 10 2005, 03:16 AM']Philosophy is less constrained by physical and mathematical proofs, and rather relies more upon logic built upon concepts of faith. As a result, it is very well suited to explain things that are not definable by these same proofs, such as the supernatural.
[/quote]
As soon as you bring faith into the picture you are not doing philosophy.
You can philosophize about faith, its nature and what not, but if you presuppose faith you are violating the methodology proper to philosophical investigation. When presuppositions of faith are involved you are technically doing Theology.