An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Franciscan Community!

ThyHolyLove

Hey everyone! I was just looking around when I came upon a site of Franciscan sisters in Iowa.

[url="http://franciscansistersfehj.com/index.html"]Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus[/url]

they wear the full habit, have CCD and eucharistic adoration as their apostolates AND " In addition to the traditional vows of evangelical perfection, the Sisters of this Community also profess a fourth vow of Fidelity to the Pope and to the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church." Totally cool in my book!

Their contact stuff is on the site. Go check it out and tell your friends! :yahoo:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='ThyHolyLove' date='Sep 9 2005, 12:55 PM']Hey everyone! I was just looking around when I came upon a site of Franciscan sisters in Iowa.

[url="http://franciscansistersfehj.com/index.html"]Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus[/url]

they wear the full habit, have CCD and eucharistic adoration as their apostolates AND  " In addition to the traditional vows of evangelical perfection, the Sisters of this Community also profess a fourth vow of Fidelity to the Pope and to the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church."  Totally cool in my book!

Their contact stuff is on the site. Go check it out and tell your friends! :yahoo:
[right][snapback]717110[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oh my gosh! They are AMAZING! If I find that I am not supposed to be cloistered after all (which I doubt, but God might know otherwise) I would SOOOOOO be looking into them!

AlterDominicus

Holy carp! I think I've found the 17th Century TYPE of Sisters! Around Saint Bernedette of Lourde's time. (I think that was about uh....the 1800's haha) I see very few crosses on the Sisters, usually like in the Saint Bernedette movie, you are a postulant then jump to first profession of vows then you are given a cross at your solemn profession of vows and assigned a duty.

Hmm, i think i'm gunna have to give them a call. Theya re really close to me sicne i am in ILL. I'm surprised that theyd ont have a n email address!!!

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Sep 9 2005, 04:24 PM']Holy carp! I think I've found the 17th Century TYPE of Sisters! Around Saint Bernedette of Lourde's time. (I think that was about uh....the 1800's haha) I see very few crosses on the Sisters, usually like in the Saint Bernedette movie, you are a postulant then jump to first profession of vows then you are given a cross at your solemn profession of vows and assigned a duty.
[right][snapback]717379[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The way it's done in "In This House of Brede" is strange, too. I don't even remember if they received a crucifix.
PCPA's receive the crucifix at their First Profession.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Sep 13 2005, 09:36 AM']The way it's done in "In This House of Brede" is strange, too. I don't even remember if they received a crucifix.
PCPA's receive the crucifix at their First Profession.
[right][snapback]721659[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What's so strange about the way they do it in In This House of Brede. It's just what the Benedictine's do. It used to be that if you were a widow you didn't get the habit with the wedding dress. Which is why it's differnent for Philippa and Joanna.

Dominicans wear a crucifix under their scapular or on their belt...depends. They get it a clothing. No wedding dress. Just not what they do. They are more like cistercians. Simple.

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Sep 13 2005, 11:25 AM']The reason I thought it was strange is because I don't remember them having temporary vows.
[right][snapback]721795[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh, sure they did. They just didn't show any ceremony. But they mentioned the short black veil at First vows until Solemn vows. :P: