An Old School Catholic Message Board

NFP

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 8 2005, 08:25 AM']The Pill "manipulates ovulation" but unless there's a magic on/off switch I'm not aware of, NFP does not manipulate ovulation.
[right][snapback]715280[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It's your belly button. If you press it, it reverts from innie to outie (or vice versa) and your cycle switches over. :)

...and yes, this means guys' belly buttons are quite worthless. :mellow:

:P: :lol:

Don John of Austria

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 8 2005, 07:25 AM']How do you "manipulate ovulation"?  :idontknow:

The Pill "manipulates ovulation" but unless there's a magic on/off switch I'm not aware of, NFP does not manipulate ovulation.
[right][snapback]715280[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

it manpulates the ovulation by charting it, and having sex only when pregnancy is virtually impossable, properly used NFP is awsomely reliable, so one is manipulating the act of sex by tracting the natural timing of ovulation and by having sex only when one can avoid it.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Sep 8 2005, 09:43 AM']it manpulates the ovulation by charting it, and having sex only when pregnancy is virtually impossable, properly used NFP is awsomely reliable, so one is manipulating the act of sex by tracting the  natural timing of ovulation and  by having sex only when one can avoid it.
[right][snapback]715351[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If that's an abuse, it should be termed "misusing ovulation and manipulating sex timing"..."manipulating ovulation" is technically not what's going on and is confusing terminology.

homeschoolmom

I guess I'm just too lazy to be so acurate... I'm a "let the chips fall where they may" NFPer, I guess...

and by that I mean we own the book (yet it goes unread) and I'm pretty sure there's a thermometer in this house... somewhere.... :unsure:

Edited by homeschoolmom

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 7 2005, 08:58 PM']I
Since it is clear you condemn what the Church has embraced, do you consider yourself a schismatic traditionalist?
[right][snapback]714891[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

since it is clear you don't have the reading skills of the average 6th grader do you concider yourself an educated man?

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Raphael' date='Sep 8 2005, 08:46 AM']If that's an abuse, it should be termed "misusing ovulation and manipulating sex timing"..."manipulating ovulation" is technically not what's going on and is confusing terminology.
[right][snapback]715355[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

but I didn't say that they where manipulating ovulation, reread what I wrote not what Brother Adam said that I wrote.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 8 2005, 08:47 AM']I guess I'm just too lazy to be so acurate... I'm a "let the chips fall where they may" NFPer, I guess...

and by that I mean we own the book (yet it goes unread) and I'm pretty sure there's a thermometer in this house... somewhere....  :unsure:
[right][snapback]715356[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

then you arn't really following NFP

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Sep 7 2005, 07:59 PM']You can narutally space them by simply not having sex for a year or so, you don't have to [b]manipulate the ovulation [/b]of the women, so that  you can have your cake and eat it too.
[right][snapback]714830[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:idontknow:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Sep 8 2005, 08:50 AM']then you arn't really following NFP
[right][snapback]715362[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, I'd say not.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 8 2005, 08:51 AM']:idontknow:
[right][snapback]715363[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I said one was manipulating the ovulation of the women, not manipulating ovulation. Those are not the same thing, although you could interpret it in the way you have you do not necessarly have to and should not. When practicing NFP you tract when ovulation occurs, and then by using that knowledge you regulate when you have sex, that is manipulating ovulation to your end as opposed t the end it is intended for, unless you are contending that ovulation is intended to prevent preganancy--- which of course would be absurd.

Kilroy the Ninja

Enough CHILDREN!

Don John knows what NFP is.

Don John is NOT SCHISMATIC.

Don John agrees that NFP is the way to go and be in line with the Magisterium.

Don John does not know how to manipulate ovulation - a typo/miscommunication - hey we are just typing here.

QUIT READING GARBAGE INTO HIS POSTS.

He's trying the best he can to post while he's busy doing other things.

I think we can all relate. And if you can't, go read a book or enjoy something besides the internet.

Thy Geekdom Come

I like simple explanations better, so I will go with this from the EWTN forums:

[quote]Natural Family Planning is the knowledge of a couple’s fertility. It is a knowledge base about a couple’s ability to conceive a child.

The application of this knowledge in a particular marriage is called responsible parenthood. The couple either decides to try to achieve a pregnancy or to avoid by timing their use of the privileges of marriage according to the knowledge of their mutual fertility. (The man, if healthy, is fertile all the time. The woman, if healthy, is fertile about three or four days a month.)

Responsible parenthood differs from contraception in two ways: 1. There is no alteration of the bodies of either the husband or wife and this is a huge difference. 2. When the couple uses the privileges of marriage, they are not holding back at all or refusing to give everything they are, physically and spiritually. If they are infertile at the time, this is the result of the way God created them. They are giving themselves totally to one another AS THEY ARE AT THAT MOMENT. No one could require more. Further, God never asked couples to use the privileges of marriage at any particular time. That decision is completely theirs. So, in the marital act during an infertile period, husband and wife who are applying the knowledge of their fertility (NFP) responsibly (responsible parenthood) are giving everything they are at that moment to one another.

The intention is also different. The NFP couple realizes that in every marital union there is a chance (perhaps remote) of conceiving a child and they accept this possibility. The contracepting couple (even if only with condoms) has a positive intention against conception.

An example might help: I want some money from a bank. It makes a huge difference whether I go to the bank and draw the money out from a checking account or whether I approach a teller with a gun and "withdraw" $100. Either way, I get the $100, but one act is radically differnt from the other.[/quote]

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Sep 8 2005, 08:59 AM'] unless you are contending that ovulation is intended to prevent preganancy--- which of course would be absurd.
[right][snapback]715375[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hehe... of course.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' date='Sep 8 2005, 10:01 AM']Enough CHILDREN!
Don John knows what NFP is.

Don John is NOT SCHISMATIC.

Don John agrees that NFP is the way to go and be in line with the Magisterium.

Don John does not know how to manipulate ovulation - a typo/miscommunication - hey we are just typing here.

QUIT READING GARBAGE INTO HIS POSTS.

He's trying the best he can to post while he's busy doing other things. 

I think we can all relate.  And if you can't, go read a book or enjoy something besides the internet.
[right][snapback]715379[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree. I just thought that "manipulating ovulation" was not the best terminology. I don't doubt that he's in line with the Magisterium.