An Old School Catholic Message Board

The creation of dogma - Original sin

LittleLes

[quote name='Era Might' date='Sep 7 2005, 12:52 PM']
[right][snapback]714577[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey, how come those scary quotes didn't appear????? About the bad woman? bad girl bad girl

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Sep 7 2005, 06:45 PM']RESPONSE:

(1) Whoa!  Aren't you just assuming that there was "infused knowledge" before a "fall? If we evolved, we developed up from the bottom, not down from the top.  ;)

(2) Common sense really isn't that common after all. It's usually the reasen given by people wanting to believe what they really want to believe in spite of any evidence.

(3) What "truth" is "stamped" on my soul? Evidence please. :unsure:
[right][snapback]714726[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is worth a response, as I'm not seriously debating with you, but for the heck of it...

1. I don't believe in evolution. :o That's right, another Catholic creationist! Oh, whatever shall we do?!

2. No, that's subjectivism, which in fact is a violation of common sense. Rather, common sense is that which immediately strikes us as obvious, which is afterward informed and tested, rather than that which we devise in our own minds until it "makes sense to us."

3. :rolleyes: I won't pretend to be able to read hearts, but I'll appeal to contemplative theology on this one. We all have the truth in this matter written on our very being. We need only to search our hearts.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='DeeDee' date='Sep 7 2005, 06:59 PM']Hey, how come those scary quotes didn't appear?????  About the bad woman? bad girl bad girl
[right][snapback]714742[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

DeeDee, the first quote I suspect you're misreading. All it says is that we are conceived with sin on us. That is a well-established and central dogma of Christianity and it's apostasy to deny it.

As for the second, it is true, but put it in context. It's talking about the evil of evil women. One could also say in a verse about the evil of evil men that men began with Adam. In fact, the Church has always referred to Christ as the New Adam precisely because He rejected sin and Mary as the New Eve because she also did. So we see a cooperation between Adam and Eve in the first sin...and a cooperation between Jesus and Mary in restoring mankind.

In fact, as Christopher West says, "Adam sinned first by letting the snake in the Garden"...because man's job is to protect and serve woman as the head of the relationship (and never to lord it over, but only to serve and love), and Adam failed in allowing Eve to be tempted.

You lost me with the condescending beginning.

You don't debate, Les, you insult and make points based on your assumptions. That's baiting, not debating.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Sep 7 2005, 08:54 PM']
No, that's subjectivism, which in fact is a violation of common sense.  Rather, common sense is that which immediately strikes us as obvious, which is afterward informed and tested, rather than that which we devise in our own minds until it "makes sense to us."

[/quote]

RESPONSE:

Like the obvious common sense fact provable by the senses that the sun revolves around the earth? ;)

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Sep 7 2005, 10:22 PM']RESPONSE:

Like the obvious common sense fact provable by the senses that the sun revolves around the earth? ;)
[right][snapback]714924[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Good ole baiting, and no debating. My my my... :ohno:

[quote name='DeeDee' date='Sep 7 2005, 05:59 PM']Hey, how come those scary quotes didn't appear?????  About the bad woman? bad girl bad girl
[right][snapback]714742[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

Yes indeed! From the great Church Father Tertullian c 200 (who is the chap who gave original sin it's name, I'm told):

"You (woman) are the devil's gateway; you are the unsealer of the forbidden tree; you are the first deserter of the divine law; you are she who persuaded him whom the devil was not valiant enough to attack. You destroyed so easily God's image man. On account of your desert - that is death- even the Son of God had to die."

Bad girl, bad girl! :D:

DeeDee, the first quote I suspect you're misreading. All it says is that we are conceived with sin on us. That is a well-established and central dogma of Christianity and it's apostasy to deny it.

RESPONSE:

No. It's not well established. The "sin on us" or "stain" theory was developed by Augustine's reading of a mistranslation of Romans, as we shall see.

LittleLes

[quote name='Winchester' date='Sep 7 2005, 09:09 PM']You lost me with the condescending beginning.

You don't debate, Les, you insult and make points based on your assumptions. That's baiting, not debating.
[right][snapback]714906[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

"It's important that our conclusions be correct. It's not important that they be popular." ;)

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Sep 7 2005, 10:39 PM']RESPONSE:

"It's important that our conclusions be correct. It's not important that they be popular." ;)
[right][snapback]714947[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I do not see how this justifies baiting.

Please try again.

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Sep 7 2005, 09:44 PM']I do not see how this justifies baiting.

Please try again.
[right][snapback]714952[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

Your assertion, not mine. Any evidence this time? :cool:

Ahem...

[quote name='Winchester']You lost me with the condescending beginning.

You don't debate, Les, you insult and make points based on your assumptions. That's baiting, not debating.[/quote]

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Sep 7 2005, 10:39 PM']RESPONSE:

[right][snapback]714947[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How does your "quote" fit in with his complaint about your tactics, especially with the insulting and baiting?

Different day, same old LittleLes carp.

Wasn't Catholic vs. Catholic debate banned here?

And you've already repeated this nonsense before. The doctrine of Original Sin is clearly laid out in St. Paul's writings. But we already know you reject St. Paul, along with most of the Bible, so what's the point?

You're a tiresome bore, LittleLes.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Sep 7 2005, 10:56 PM']No catholic on catholic debate is permitted.
[right][snapback]715045[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
what about Catholic vs. "Catholic"?