An Old School Catholic Message Board

Curious

FlyLikeABird

What is your opinion of the current trend towards traditionalism/orthodoxy?

I've noted a few things lately.

1. New religious communities - the majority are opting to wear habits.
2. The new Pope prefers traditional services rather than the new music etc that JPII encouraged amongst the youth.
3. Popular Catholic programing like EWTN show conservatist over liberalist views.
4. Traditional prayers, such as the Angelus and The Liturgy of the Hours, are regaining popularity.
5. Also the traditional Latin Mass is re-gaining popularity.

Well?

I've been noticing that when ppl talk about going to an Indult Mass, they say there's a lot of young ppl there. I also notice that when hearing about things like abortion, birth control, and sexuality, that most young ppl, (myself included) are virgins and intend to stay that way. More ppl want to learn about chastity and i think this is b/c of the consequences of the sexual revolution, and also, they want to hear about God, and i think the impact of Colombine, Sept. 11, etc. has encouraged that, also the fact that we want something bigger in our lives that will help us when we're going through these years. B/c of this, ppl want to be more reverent in church and such and want to go deeper in their faith. Maybe that's why the current trend is going towards traditionalism and orthodoxy

cmotherofpirl

All young people want a challenge in life, and my generation has made it way to easy for your generation
We have given you objects instead of opportunities.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='FlyLikeABird' date='Sep 5 2005, 06:12 AM']What is your opinion of the current trend towards traditionalism/orthodoxy?

2. The new Pope prefers traditional services rather than the new music etc that JPII encouraged amongst the youth.
3. Popular Catholic programing like EWTN show conservatist over liberalist views.
4. Traditional prayers, such as the Angelus and The Liturgy of the Hours, are regaining popularity.

Well?
[right][snapback]711670[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:yahoo:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Sep 5 2005, 09:48 AM']:yahoo:
[right][snapback]711785[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm going to have to second that! I think young people especially really want the full Truth. They want something they can be passionate about and something that needs all that they can give. It's such a beautiful sight to see all these Religious wearing their Wedding Gowns 24/7!! Also, it's so great that the Divine Office, Angelus, and Latin Mass are coming back. Those are such great gifts of the Church, and they should be cherished and kept sacred.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Sep 5 2005, 10:44 AM']All young people want a challenge in life, and my generation has made it way to easy for your generation
We have given you objects instead of opportunities.
[right][snapback]711775[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, your generation made it harder for us. Stupid social security... <_<

While things were easier for us growing up, we had no challenges and, consequently, are ill-prepared for the world we're facing. I would go so far as to make the bold statement that my generation is more enslaved to the world than any previous generation.

Yeah. I think a lot of people just want the real deal. They don't want a watered-down Catholicism, a faith made easy, a religion that buckles and compromises under the pressures of a secular, anti-religious society.

In almost every case, that is what liberalism within religion is: Backing down, or chickening-out, in the face of secular pressure.

Edited by Nathan

[quote name='FlyLikeABird' date='Sep 5 2005, 06:12 AM']What is your opinion of the current trend towards traditionalism/orthodoxy?

Well?
[right][snapback]711670[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

How extensive were your observations and did you validly sample the target population?

Or are these what you want to believe, but with no objective evidence that they are true? :idontknow:

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Sep 5 2005, 09:48 AM']:yahoo:
[right][snapback]711785[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I SO agree with Laudate_Dominum!!!!!!

:D: :clap: :thumbsup: :love: :cool!: :twothumbsup:

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Colleen' date='Sep 5 2005, 10:40 AM']I think many people are rediscovering beauty and sacredness. I think it's a great thing.
[right][snapback]711834[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Again, I agree. I attend a Tridentine Mass avery Sunday and it is beautiful! The mass itself is held in great reverence and is very traditional (no altar girls, inscence, the priest facing the atlar instead of the people ect.)

I also want to ask how people think about the priest facing the altar instead of the congregation. What do you think about that? I feel that is the best way because the priest is leading the people through the Consecration and giving that sacrifice to God with the people and with him at the head. He is not giving the sacrifice to the people which is what it looks like whn he faces the people.

God Bless,
Kristina

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Sep 5 2005, 11:41 AM']RESPONSE:

How extensive were your observations and did you  validly sample the target population?

Or are these what you want to believe, but with no objective evidence that they are true? :idontknow:
[right][snapback]711925[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wooooo wee. Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed. :blink:

Actually, orthodoxy is gaining great popularity around these parts. The contemporary style churches are losing members, while the ones like my church that are more trad. looking (at least) are gaining them.

I like it. :D:

Ora et Labora

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Sep 5 2005, 11:55 AM']Actually, orthodoxy is gaining great popularity around these parts. The contemporary style churches are losing members, while the ones like my church that are more trad. looking (at least) are gaining them.

I like it. :D:
[right][snapback]711943[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why? :huh:

Most of the so called "trad" churches are the ugliest things!!!