An Old School Catholic Message Board

Criticism of Gov't Response

philothea

conservativecatholic

[quote name='Winchester' date='Sep 7 2005, 09:31 PM']The first failure resides in state and local inaction. The mayor and the governor underestimated the storm. Had they begun swift and comprehensive forced evacuations and the governor activated the national guard before the storm strike, perhaps something could have been done.
[right][snapback]714936[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Both New Orleans and Lousiana receive a failing grade.

Hurricane Rita is coming straight for our area as of now; however, people here are handling the situation in a much more civilized manner. Though extremely congested, evacuation routes have been made accessible to everyone as well as public transportation. Texas has her act together.

May God Bless!

Edited by conservativecatholic

The root of all of this boils down to the history of poverty in our country. Liberals are going to have to accept at some point, that they are not responsible for civil rights and equality in this country. They are responsible for supporting the party who opposed the 1964 Civil Rights Act and currently aid in the perseverance of patronizing racism that feeds a culture of entitlement which kills the incentive of the individual to achieve.

That aside I feel that the blame game has gotten old, and now slowly people are starting to realize all that COULD have been done from the local level, that wasn't done!

I heard Houston commandeered the buses and ambulances that Jefferson County had contracted since 2000 for evacuation. Now some people in Jeff Co that would have been evac'd are stuck. That's jacked.

We comandeered ambulances?

That's a rumor. We did, prior to the hurricane, contract with AMR for extra ambulances, but there are tons of private ambulances available.

Why would we comandeer buses when we have a large fleet available? From whom did you hear this? Not saying it's untrue (except for "comandeered," which is kind of funny when "hired" is more like it.)

Too bad the high winds didn't take out the rumor mill.

I heard it reported on NPR, that's what I have my clock-radio blaring to wake me up in the morning. :blush: I'm pretty sure they used the term "commandeer". I would be happy to find out that the whole story was incorrect.

I'll see if I can find the report on their website.

A cover story on a recent issue of [i]Fortune[/i] talked about how when the government couldn't manage to help people affected by Katrina, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and FedEx did.

I only got to peek at the story a bit before the magazine was taken, though. It was kind of amusing. (IIRC) Wal-Mart had sent people off to guard their stores from looting, and a few sympathetic employees started giving stuff away to needy people. Finally someone at Wal-Mart realized this was A GREAT PR OPPORTUNITY, and trucked loads of supplies in. :rolleyes:

I"m amazed at the response of the local communities of the ordinary person. You wouldn't believe how many ppl were helped in that first week due to the kindness and organization of small ministries, churches, etc, when no government, nothing was there to help them.

sure it wasn't everybody. But one person at a time, with no help from any big organization is amazing.

Now if only our gov't would have acted as quickly.......but they didn't.

Good people will rise above the tragedy.

The gov't must still act and act quickly. I pray for those who started rebuilding their lives in Texas to only evacuate elsewhere.

[quote name='jmjtina' date='Sep 26 2005, 10:26 PM']I"m amazed at the response of the local communities of the ordinary person. You wouldn't believe how many ppl were helped in that first week due to the kindness and organization of small ministries, churches, etc,  when no government, nothing was there to help them.

sure it wasn't everybody. But one person at a time, with no help from any big organization is amazing.

Now if only our gov't would have acted as quickly.......but they didn't.

Good people will rise above the tragedy.

[right][snapback]738540[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
ill tell you ... from here - it looks like the gov't acted very well in Texas... esp compared to Louisiana
and Texas pretty much, it seemed from way up here in Michigan - Texas was told "you all know what is comming - and you are responsible for your families... period"

With Louisiana it was - everything is cool don't worry ... untill the VERY last moment - and then it was FEDERAL GOVERNMENT will bail us out... help! even though they had a 36 hour evacuation plan in place that they didnt use

the difference from a distance to me was total dependance on government to "hold the hand" kinda' leadership (nanny state) vs independance, and "the strength of the people" kinda' leadership
and in my book "the people" won --- Texas set the great example

[quote name='philothea' date='Sep 26 2005, 09:27 PM']A cover story on a recent issue of [i]Fortune[/i] talked about how when the government couldn't manage to help people affected by Katrina, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and FedEx did.

I only got to peek at the story a bit before the magazine was taken, though.  It was kind of amusing.  (IIRC) Wal-Mart had sent people off to guard their stores from looting, and a few sympathetic employees started giving stuff away to needy people.  Finally someone at Wal-Mart realized this was A GREAT PR OPPORTUNITY, and trucked loads of supplies in.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]738464[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

interesting how companies like wal-mart are the first to be stolen from by looters and victims what-not ... but still the first to step up to the plate to help, and to still GIVE AWAY supplies and food and clothes to survivors

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='Sep 26 2005, 09:51 PM']ill tell you ... from here - it looks like the gov't acted very well in Texas...      esp compared to Louisiana
and Texas pretty much, it seemed from way up here in Michigan - Texas was told "you all know what is comming - and you are responsible for your families...    period"

With Louisiana it was - everything is cool don't worry ...  untill the VERY last moment - and then it was FEDERAL GOVERNMENT will bail us out...  help!    even though they had a 36 hour evacuation plan in place that they didnt use

the difference from a distance to me was total dependance on government to "hold the hand" kinda' leadership (nanny state) vs independance, and "the strength of  the people" kinda' leadership
and in my book "the people" won    --- Texas set the great example
[right][snapback]738569[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well you know this IS Texas. We could/should be our own country. :D: