An Old School Catholic Message Board

college dorm rooms

avemaria40

[quote name='Socrates' date='Aug 30 2005, 05:09 PM']the moral trainwreck that is the typical modern university campus
[right][snapback]705457[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Indeed. Thinking about this issue gives me a migraine.

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='Aug 30 2005, 03:41 PM']IThat said, I think co-ed dorms in general don't HAVE to be frowned upon.  People are going to live the moral lives they want to live, whether living in a building, floor, or room with people of the opposite gender or not.
[right][snapback]705331[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

While no rules or rooming arrangements can completely prevent people from engaging in immoral activities, they can contribute to the situtation.
Where I went to school, at Christendom College, dormatories were strictly segregated by sex and intervisitation (for any reason at all) was strictly forbidden (except during certain public "open house" periods).

In such a situation, there was very little sex going on in the dormrooms.

Of course, it helps to have a general atmosphere promoting Christian morality, and this might not be so effective at a place where most people are in open defiance of Christian mores, but having seperate dorms for the two sexes is a part of promoting and respecting this morality.
(And until the late 1960s, all secular campuses had similar dorm rules.)

The fact that single-sex dorms and intervisitation rules are now regarded as "extreme" says something about the moral decline of our society.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 30 2005, 04:29 PM']come and knock on our door...

we've been waiting for you...
[right][snapback]705391[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:rolling:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 30 2005, 04:41 PM']where the kisses are hers and hers and his, three's company too
[right][snapback]705404[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Come and dance on our floor... take a step that is new... TAKE IT AL!

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Aug 30 2005, 07:08 PM']Boys should live in all boys dorms, girls in an all girls dorm...
[right][snapback]705567[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
and never the two shall meet :)

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Aug 30 2005, 06:54 PM']and never the two shall meet :)
[right][snapback]705639[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Until they're ready to consider betrothal, that is.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 30 2005, 04:29 PM']come and knock on our door...

we've been waiting for you...
[right][snapback]705391[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That was [b][i]Really[/i][/b] creepy until I got the "3's company" referance.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Aug 31 2005, 08:16 AM']Until they're ready to consider betrothal, that is.
[right][snapback]706137[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:rolling:

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Aug 31 2005, 09:09 AM']That was [b][i]Really[/i][/b] creepy until I got the "3's company" referance.
[right][snapback]706161[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah ... I didn't get that right away either. I wasn't allowed to watch "3's company," although I did sneak it in from time to time. It was immoral.

you know, i never realized until right now that jack was faking being gay to live with those 2 women... wow. i'm dumb :P:
as for co-ed dorms: catholic schools obviously are going to have higher standards for morality reasons and i am in complete agreement. but if you choose to attend a secular college, and get stuck with boys on yuor floor etc etc the most important thing is never live in a situation where you SHARE a bathroom. unmarried men and women should NOT share bathrooms. if you have an apartment with 3+ people and maybe a guy is mixed in there, i could go either way (although i lean towards scandalizing), but you would HAVE to have more than one bathroom. not only is there the yucky factor (boys are gross), but the liklihood of REAL scandalization happening is too high and not worth the rest.