An Old School Catholic Message Board

college dorm rooms

avemaria40

I don't see a problem.

Thats like saying is it ok for hetersexuals to share a dorm with people of the same gender. Obviously the answer would be yes.

Though they aren't in the dorms some of my gay friends live with people of the opposite gender. But then again those friends aren't Catholic and are in relationships. Though they don't do this with gay students, my school tries to give transgender students who request it single rooms with private bathrooms so they don't have to be awkward on a floor midtransition.

Personally, I wouldn't want to share a room with a man no matter what his orientation. (Unless, of course, he was married to me)

And I don't think it would be good policy overall, either. I see a ton of potential problems. For example, you could get a guy who says he's gay just so he can share a room with a woman.

And aside from the orientation aspect of it, men and women have really different styles of living. Really, marriage is pretty much the only way you could entice me to live with a guy who wasn't related to me.

[quote name='track2004' date='Aug 30 2005, 03:27 PM']Though they aren't in the dorms some of my gay friends live with people of the opposite gender.  But then again those friends aren't Catholic and are in relationships.  Though they don't do this with gay students, my school tries to give transgender students who request it single rooms with private bathrooms so they don't have to be awkward on a floor midtransition.
[right][snapback]705305[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah ... it's a different scenario when you're in an apartment than when you're in university-supplied housing.

On a totally off subject, you go to IU, don't you? Did you know that Bloomington has by far the highest rate of hate crimes in the state? As in, something like six times more than any other city? I thought that was interesting.

son_of_angels

I think putting homosexuals in dorms of the opposite gender is COMPLETELY STUPID, if done for that reason alone. Men are men, women are women, and gay men need more than anything to be affirmed in their masculinity, as do lesbian women in their femininity.

That said, I think co-ed dorms in general don't HAVE to be frowned upon. People are going to live the moral lives they want to live, whether living in a building, floor, or room with people of the opposite gender or not.

I know, from living in a dormitory where the genders are separated by floors that there is plenty of sex that happens anyway. It really doesn't help or hurt. It's even worse on public campuses.

White Knight

I think Dorme rooms are a haboring ground for all kinds of sexual activity, and I wouldn't normally wanna be in one, because of all that temptation, to me it doesn't matter who you are, or how you feel about the other sex or same sex, its still a very bad place to be if your trying to [b]avoid sexuality period.[/b]

toledo_jesus

coed dorm rooms are impractical. It will never happen. People can just get an apartment together if they want to do that.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Aug 30 2005, 04:34 PM']For example, you could get a guy who says he's gay just so he can share a room with a woman.
[right][snapback]705318[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
come and knock on our door...

we've been waiting for you...

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='Aug 30 2005, 03:41 PM']Men are men, women are women, and gay men need more than anything to be affirmed in their masculinity, as do lesbian women in their femininity.
[right][snapback]705331[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That is exactly right. Very well put.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 30 2005, 04:29 PM']come and knock on our door...

we've been waiting for you...
[right][snapback]705391[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:unsure:

[quote name='son_of_angels']gay men need more than anything to be affirmed in their masculinity, as do lesbian women in their femininity. [/quote]

Whether one is masculine or feminine has nothing to do with one's sexual orientation.

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Aug 30 2005, 03:22 PM']Wat do u all think about allowing ppl w/homosexual tendencies to share a dorm w/someone of the oppostie gender?
[right][snapback]705293[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Absolutely absurd!

First, the obvious. It would be quite clear that such a system would be easy to abuse - one can only imagine all the horny eighteen-year-old guys falsely claiming to be "gay" so they can shack up with some "hot babe." And shouldn't college administrators have better ways to spend their time than trying to sort out who's "really gay" and who's "faking."
And would both roommates have to be homosexual? Wouldn't there be problems with, say, a guy sharing a room with a lesbian?

Secondly, (and perhaps more importantly) such a measure would reinforce the insidious idea of homosexualtiy as a core part of one's identity, demanding its own rules. The truth is many kids in their late teens are still coming to terms with their sexuality. Rather than give young people struggling with sexual problems a chance to form natural, healthy, non-sexual relations with the same sex (and conversely, a heatlhy "romantic" interest in the opposite sex), this rooming arrangement would officially confirm certain people as "gay" - to live as "one of the girls" rather than "one of the boys." This would be yet another way of entrenching the culture of the homosexual agenda.

While such moronic rooming practices may fit in quite well in the moral trainwreck that is the typical modern university campus, with its co-ed dorms and "gay dorms," it would be quite incompatible with a truly Catholic campus trying (to use the motto of my alma mater) "to restore all things in Christ." (At Christendom, men and women had seperate dorms and intervisitation was a punishable offense.)

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='Socrates']would officially confirm certain people as "gay" - to live as "one of the girls" rather than "one of the boys." This would be yet another way of entrenching the culture of the homosexual agenda.[/quote]

That's nonsense.