An Old School Catholic Message Board

how do we know that jesus is.......

infinitelord1

Putting everything we have recieved about this...
One must have faith.

You cannot teach the unwilling what they do not want to hear... They must open their ears, minds and hearts first.

Edited by CatholicCid

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Aug 27 2005, 03:56 PM']and how do we know that its not a symbol.
[right][snapback]701781[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Plain and simple

John 9:

47 Amen, amen, I say unto you: He that believeth in me hath everlasting life.
48 I am the bread of life.
49 Your fathers did eat manna in the desert: and are dead.
50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven: that if any man eat of it, he may not die.
51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. (6-52) If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world.
52 (6-53) The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
53 (6-54) Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen, I say unto you: except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.
54 (6-55) He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.
55 (6-56) For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed.
56 (6-57) He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me: and I in him.
57 (6-58) As the living Father hath sent me and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me.
58 (6-59) This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna and are dead. He that eateth this bread shall live for ever.

I could also tell you all about the different Eucharistic Miracles, but I guess this will do for now.

VERY SIMPLY PUT.....why not believe?

Our God has a history of doing the impossible. When He is not loving us He likes to show off.

Hence we have the earth, animals, light, food, each other, seasons, etc.

I like having a God I can't get my mind around. It makes me feel safe. I know He is in control.

So why not have Jesus in the Eucharist?
To me it is no different in believing how everything else came to be.

GOD SAY SO, SO IT IS SO.
AMEN

idk the exact reference but St. Paul says that if u take the Eucharist and u sinned, u just commited murder of the Body and Blood of the Lord

not so long ago there was a thread on here about this. someone who was converting to catholicism recieved a letter from his former pastor that was all about how the eucharist doesnt exist work. the poster wanted the people at phatmass to give some counter points because, being new to catholicism, he didnt have a deep understanding of it. there were some excellent comments. unfortunately.. i think it sunk to far and the forum swallowed it.

c'mon peeps help this poor guy out!

Edited by Sirklawd

It's dogma, and both Our Lord and so many popes/saints have solemnly defined this and handed it down.

So that's why we know that Jesus is present.

How I see it is, if there's no real presence in the Eucharist, then there's no God, because God is not limited. God is not controlled, and He can do anything.

Jesus I trust in you!

"My God, my God I love You in the most Blessed Sacrament."

found it: maybe thisll help

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=36709&hl=email"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...=36709&hl=email[/url]

[quote name='Scofizzle' date='Aug 29 2005, 04:38 PM']because the Church tells us so....
[right][snapback]704047[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think that is more like Jesus tells us so.

son_of_angels

Look at the question relatively first:

How do you know that Jesus is in the Blessed Sacrament and not just a symbol?

Well, first of all, when the priest consecrates the offerings he does so with the express intent of bringing about the transubstantiation of the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ. He intends the rituals to be the only symbols present, but these are symbols that also, in addition to representing the original sacrifice of Christ, symbolize the ACTION taking place.
So, what if he fails? What if the Catholic Church does not have the means to accomplish this change?
Relatively, it is no matter, because were the intent to perform a symbol, that would also have failed, because the truth which it pointed to would have failed. In other words, if the Blessed Sacrament were only a symbol, then it would have been consecrated as only a symbol. Since that is not the case, the Blessed Sacrament does very badly at being only a symbol.
So, TO US, then, the only option must be that Christ is truly, really, and substantially present in the Eucharist, and that the Blessed Sacrament is truly, really, and substantially, the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of the Living Saviour.
Otherwise, "nihil est."

Then lets look at it objectively.
Paul says, "The bread which we break is a communion in the body of Christ" and "the cup which we bless a communion in the blood of Christ." That is to say the FORM bread has the substance of being the communion of Christ's body, ergo Christ's body in fact. Likewise the form, cup (which serves infinitely better in illustrating this point), has the purpose, and thus the substance, of being the blood of Christ--that is, its contents.

Other scriptural examples, together with divine revelation, Magisterial teaching, and sacred Tradition, form an undeniable testimony that indeed the action intended is the action done, so the conclusion must be that the Blessed Sacrament is not only a symbol, but also the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

[quote name='StColette' date='Aug 27 2005, 06:31 PM']Plain and simple

John 9:

47  Amen, amen, I say unto you: He that believeth in me hath everlasting life.
48  I am the bread of life.
49  Your fathers did eat manna in the desert: and are dead.
50  This is the bread which cometh down from heaven: that if any man eat of it, he may not die.
51  I am the living bread which came down from heaven. (6-52) If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world.
52  (6-53) The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
53  (6-54) Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen, I say unto you: except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.
54  (6-55) He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.
55  (6-56) For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed.
56  (6-57) He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me: and I in him.
57  (6-58) As the living Father hath sent me and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me.
58  (6-59) This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna and are dead. He that eateth this bread shall live for ever.

I could also tell you all about the different Eucharistic Miracles, but I guess this will do for now.
[right][snapback]701936[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Your always on right on the issue. :cool:

[quote name='StColette' date='Aug 27 2005, 06:31 PM']Plain and simple

John 9:
[right][snapback]701936[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think you meant John 6