An Old School Catholic Message Board

World Youth Day

Oik

Are World Youth Day Masses Worth Attending ?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='picchick' date='Aug 27 2005, 03:37 PM']Last time I checked altar girls were ok. However, I don't think that I would have altar girls serve for the bishop let alone the pope. I am sure that there were plenty of seminarians that were able to fulfill the duty. [right][snapback]701745[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Altar girls (or boys for that matter) really aren't supposed to serve when an Acolyte is present. And since most seminarians are present, there shouldn't have been any.

The reason for altar girls wasn't to "give everyone a chance" but to fulfill a need: "3) If in some diocese, on the basis of Canon 230 #2, the Bishop permits that, for particular reasons, women may also serve at the altar, this decision must be clearly explained to the faithful, in the light of the above-mentioned norm. It shall also be made clear that the norm is already being widely applied, by the fact that women frequently serve as lectors in the Liturgy and can also be called upon to distribute Holy Communion as Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist and to carry out other functions, according to the provisions of the same Canon 230 #3"

:)

God Conquers

I agree with argent_paladin and others that most (like 95%) of abuses and silliness took place during the Catechesis sessions, and apart from the main thrust and events of World Youth Day.

One of the things which bolstered my hope this time in an INCREASING WYD-to-WYD orthodoxy were the program and liturgy books that were handed out.

Read the meditations and teachings in those things... in almost every place they are spot-on awesome!

I think it is incredible that such orthodoxy (and that of the main masses and events) could even be found in western Germany... let's face it, Germany has NEVER been a bastion of Catholic orthodoxy, let alone in the last 40 years.

PS- alot of you guys were lucky... at my host parish there was a fem-priest doing daily prayer services alone.... when there were 5+ priests and a BISHOP attending in the congregation.

just a question- did anyone get to check out the Senats hotel?????

(i heard there was some coffee house thing there with really good speakers, but i never got to go...)
how was it?

On sencond thought...LEAGUE OF LOLEK LOVERS, 2008 SYDNEY!

Yeah!

I agree w/ Argent Paladin, he records the events as they occurred.

Our Pilgrimage was AWE-SOME!!!

( :lol_roll: )

The chancery office of the Syndey Archdiocese just replied to me to say that they've passed on my letter to His Eminence Cardinal Pell ^_^

Deo gracias

missionseeker

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :bigclap: :twothumbsup: :cheers:

I hope to be able to go

Any Phatmassers who go should carry huge PHATMASS banners and hand out PHATMASS PHLYERS!

Edited by missionseeker

[QUOTEThe chancery office of the Syndey Archdiocese just replied to me to say that they've passed on my letter to His Eminence Cardinal Pell

Deo gracias[/QUOTE]

:o

What! That is awesome! Please, tell us what you did and who exactly to write and i'll send out and e-mail ASAP!

[url="http://www.sydney.catholic.org.au/contact.shtml"]Contact details for the Syndey See[/url]

Ok Oik. I went to the page above and found the details for the chancery office of the Syndey See and then wrote a letter in the traditional formal style e.g. starting My Lord Cardinal Pell ending Embracing the purple of His Most Reverend Eminence, I am His Eminence's very humble and obedient servant about what I wanted out of World Youth Day 2008: More emphasis on catechesis, the meaning of God's love shown in the sacrifice of the Mass etc.etc. If you want I'll send you the letter in a pm or something?

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Aug 26 2005, 02:10 PM']Typical liturgical music at WYD:

"He's Got the Whole World in His Hands"
[right][snapback]700188[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
On Sesame Street they sing, "We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands."

Part of the reason we don't watch Sesame Street....

argent_paladin

They are technically every year. But every other year, they are in the diocese around the world, with a larger celebration in Rome. However, after the 2002 WYD in Toronto, it was announced that the next major WYD would be in three years instead of two, in Germany. This was to avoid conflict with the Athens Summer Olympics in Greece and, frankly, because WYD is getting bigger and bigger. Cologne needed another year to figure out transportation and food distribution, in my opinion.

Or another 10 years.

Sydney is in 3 years as well.... I think better timing would bve 2007, the International Eucharistic Congress is in 2008, in Quebec City, so now I have to decide which to go to... both have the Pope.