An Old School Catholic Message Board

National Public Polls in General

White Knight

White Knight

Okay, I remember the polls back in last years election coverage especially around the three primary debates and such. Later after the debates News Networks would post so called [b]"official polls"[/b] on their website. A Website that anyone in the WORLD can access. from Europe, to Asia. and vote on these polls., with very little or no location info required.

How many people do you think actually voted on the polls that weren't even allowed to vote, not to mention even part of this country?

It bugs that that Kerry won most of those polls, Ya I know ithe Election is done and over with Thank the Lord that Bush Won, [b]but it brings me to the conclusion, that most general official polls that require e-mails only, can be used all over the World. Also this can produce inaccurate numbers.[/b]

I know this sounds weird, but how offend do we think some poll numbers are actually "OFFICIAL" and not "Rigged?"

This sounds crazy, but I think some of those polls released out there, were rigged in Kerry's favor, Which gave the impression that Kerry was going to win the Election, yack, yack, yack, and all that. This wouldn't suprise me to be true.

On another note, lets say Phatmass opened up a "Official Poll" to the Public, This poll is allowed to be used not only be registered members of the phorums, but everyone who HAS ACCESS to this website. Now truely how accurate would that poll be? lets say the question was like, I dunno, something like. "Who here Believes Heaven and Hell are real?"

[b]Now if you were to release this poll to the phatmass forums, and allow everyone even not members to access it and vote on it, would this be a accurate poll?[/b]

Debate.

Well, I happen to work at a national public opinion polling firm.

In general, internet polls are rarely reliable. You limit respondents to those who have internet access and happen to come across your website/respond to your email.

Most national poll numbers you see on TV, etc. are from telephone surveys. These are much more accurate.

So, overall, it depends on the source of the polls, and the methods that are used.

White Knight

[quote name='morostheos' date='Aug 26 2005, 04:52 PM']Well, I happen to work at a national public opinion polling firm. 

In general, internet polls are rarely reliable.  You limit respondents to those who have internet access and happen to come across your website/respond to your email. 

Most national poll numbers you see on TV, etc. are from telephone surveys.  These are much more accurate. 

So, overall, it depends on the source of the polls, and the methods that are used.
[right][snapback]700407[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes but most of the polls that were posted after the Three Primary Debates, were all posted online and no phone calls or hardly any phone calls. I saw more polls than surveys.

Polls and surveys are synonymous (although polls are usually short and surveys can be any length)

I'm not really sure with the polls after the primary debates, i didn't have internet access at the time.

If they were just on the website and people voted on the website, definitely not accurate.

White Knight

Thats what I'm saying those polls that were placed online right after the debates had very little fact to them, yes there was some phone calls across the country, but they missed like more than half of them, because of cell-phones and home phone calls.