An Old School Catholic Message Board

RICE 2008

Lounge Daddy

Lounge Daddy

at this point... would you vote for her?
the only thing i have is her "kinda for abortion" stance --- which has yet to be clarified
so that could mean anything

CONDI2008?

ONLY if she were running against HIllary - but I think in that case I very well might vote for whoever the Constitution Party candidate is.

Catholic Fanatic

[quote]ONLY if she were running against HIllary - but I think in that case I very well might vote for whoever the Constitution Party candidate is.[/quote]
You must learn to be faithful to the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

It would be a mortal sin to vote for anyone other than Rice if she were running against Clinton, assuming the situation is similar to Kerry versus Bush. You must choose the lesser of two evils who has a chance at winning. Voting off is essentially voting for Clinton.

Again, it is a mortal sin to vote off. Even if the rest of your life has been good etc, your soul will be bound and cast into hell if you knowingly partake in this. You will suffer the eternal damnation of fire and other unspeakable torment.

[quote name='Catholic Fanatic' date='Aug 26 2005, 04:20 PM']You must learn to be faithful to the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

It would be a mortal sin to vote for anyone other than Rice if she were running against Clinton, assuming the situation is similar to Kerry versus Bush. You must choose the lesser of two evils who has a chance at winning. Voting off is essentially voting for Clinton.

Again, it is a mortal sin to vote off. Even if the rest of your life has been good etc, your soul will be bound and cast into hell if you knowingly partake in this. You will suffer the eternal damnation of fire and other unspeakable torment.
[right][snapback]700468[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

what??? :blink:

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Aug 26 2005, 05:28 PM']what??? :blink:
[right][snapback]700488[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm beginning to suspect this "Catholic Fanatic" character is some joker (probably a liberal trying to lampoon "fanatical" traditional Catholicism). He's said a lot of really weird stuff.

[quote]It would be a mortal sin to vote for anyone other than Rice if she were running against Clinton, assuming the situation is similar to Kerry versus Bush. You must choose the lesser of two evils who has a chance at winning. Voting off is essentially voting for Clinton. [

Again, it is a mortal sin to vote off. Even if the rest of your life has been good etc, your soul will be bound and cast into hell if you knowingly partake in this. You will suffer the eternal damnation of fire and other unspeakable torment. [/quote]

the Church has not said that it is a mortal sin to vote for someone. Some bishops have said that you may vote for a pro-choice candidate as long as you are not voting for them just because you support their pro-choice position.

[quote name='zwergel88' date='Aug 26 2005, 07:30 PM']the Church has not said that it is a mortal sin to vote for someone.  Some bishops have said that you may vote for a pro-choice candidate as long as you are not voting for them just because you support their pro-choice position.
[right][snapback]700801[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

While the Church has never formally defined voting for a particular candidate as a mortal sin, what you say is not quite true either.

Card. Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI) said basically that one may vote for a pro-abortion candidate only if the only other viable candidate is even more anti-life. He also said that issues such as war, economic policy, and the death penalty cannot equal the issues of abortion and euthanasia in moral importance.

What some individual bishops may say about this is rather irrelevant. Unfortunately, many American bishops are more influenced by party politics than the Church's moral teaching.

I was talking about voting for a third candidate in a case where both major candidates would be solidly pro-abortion, so "Catholic Fanatic's" reply was rather nonsensical.

rice is a lame duck. she would have no chance of winning. this country is not ready for a black president, much a less a black woman. hate to say it, but we pretty much know that it is true. i think colin powell ruined it for black candidates for at least another 10-15 years.

[quote]While the Church has never formally defined voting for a particular candidate as a mortal sin, what you say is not quite true either.[/quote]

Since you are correct that the Church has never defined voting as a mortal sin, I don't think that it is fair accuse each other of such because of our political choices, which was the point I was originally trying to make.

Edited by zwergel88

to answer the original question, I would not vote for Condoleeza. she has too many connections with the oil industry. If it comes down to her and Hillary, I'm voting for nader......just kidding, I have no idea who I'd vote for.

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Aug 26 2005, 09:51 PM']rice is a lame duck. she would have no chance of winning.  this country is not ready for a black president, much a less a black woman.  hate to say it, but we pretty much know that it is true.  i think colin powell ruined it for black candidates for at least another 10-15 years.
[right][snapback]700953[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How did he "ruin" it. I thought he didn't run because he was an army general. The mind of an army General doesn't match that of a presidents. I bet Colin Powel would win if he ran.

He bowed out of the race after news articles were published about his wife taking certain medications for depression, or something.....

i think his bow into pressure, though it be of a certain malicious nature, is only evident of the weakness he would have as president when he is faced with even more malicious and ascerbic criticism....

I don't blame him for bowing out of the race. I only make the point that I propose that his caving into that pressure put other serious contenders who are black at a disadvantage.