An Old School Catholic Message Board

traditionalists

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

I would like to have a few people's views on why traditionalists think that the "No salvation outside of the CC" doctrine means what it does in the strict sense of the phrase.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Aug 24 2005, 06:17 PM']I would like to have a few people's views on why traditionalists think that the "No salvation outside of the CC" doctrine means what it does in the strict sense of the phrase.
[right][snapback]697675[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The majority of traditionalists do not have a feeneyite understanding of that doctrine. Just for the record. :)

It doesn't matter what so-called "Traditionalists" or any other Catholic believes about the dogma.

All that matters is what the Church thinks, as communicated through her authentic Magisterium. For her teaching, see the Catechism.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Era Might' date='Aug 24 2005, 07:05 PM']It doesn't matter what so-called "Traditionalists" or any other Catholic believes about the dogma.

All that matters is what the Church thinks, as communicated through her authentic Magisterium. For her teaching, see the Catechism.
[right][snapback]697744[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:woot: amen.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Aug 24 2005, 07:17 PM']I would like to have a few people's views on why traditionalists think that the "No salvation outside of the CC" doctrine means what it does in the strict sense of the phrase.
[right][snapback]697675[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Beats me.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote]  It doesn't matter what so-called "Traditionalists" or any other Catholic believes about the dogma.

All that matters is what the Church thinks, as communicated through her authentic Magisterium. For her teaching, see the Catechism.[/quote]

I agree. Feenyism is not what the church teaches.

Edited by Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

dairygirl4u2c

Can anyone provide an example of traditionalists who don't hold the strict interpretation?

If my question has been explained a lot, I don't see it. I understand the arguments for and against the strict interpretation, but I don't understand how the traditionalists came to hold the strict and the common CC does not.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Aug 26 2005, 06:31 PM']Can anyone provide an example of traditionalists who don't hold the strict interpretation?
If my question has been explained a lot, I don't see it. I understand the arguments for and against the strict interpretation, but I don't understand how the traditionalists came to hold the strict and the common CC does not.
[right][snapback]700494[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Feenyism (a strict interretation of Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus) is an American phenomenon that resides primarily in the followers of the late Fr. Leonard Feeney. The vast majority of traditionalists do not hold this belief due to the overwealming support for the various forms of baptism (blood, desire, etc.) found in the traditional teachings of the Church. In fact, only one of the Church Fathers who commented on the subject denied the existence of baptism of desire (or its close relatives), and he is not actually included in the infallible collection of Church Fathers teachings due to the fact that he is not a canonized saint.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Aug 26 2005, 10:44 PM']Feenyism (a strict interretation of Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus) is an American phenomenon that resides primarily in the followers of the late Fr. Leonard Feeney.  The vast majority of traditionalists do not hold this belief due to the overwealming support for the various forms of baptism (blood, desire, etc.) found in the traditional teachings of the Church.  In fact, only one of the Church Fathers who commented on the subject denied the existence of baptism of desire (or its close relatives), and he is not actually included in the infallible collection of Church Fathers teachings due to the fact that he is not a canonized saint.
[right][snapback]700943[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Just curious as to which father that was...

[quote name='thedude' date='Aug 26 2005, 11:14 PM']Just curious as to which father that was...
[right][snapback]700973[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am pretty sure it was Lactantius.