An Old School Catholic Message Board

Converting for marriage

Mikhail

White Knight

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Aug 24 2005, 03:04 PM']Don't forget [b]Catholicism For Dummies[/b], it's a reliable book (written by two priests).  Do not buy the Idiot's Guide version, it gives a distorted view of Catholicism.
[right][snapback]697439[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You know whats sad. I was offered that book today, when I was in Weldron Books Stores. I looked at it, and I didn't like what it had to say about the Faith, it explained nothing or hardly anything on the Mass :o

TrinityAddiction

I agree, I think that if the person in question wants to convert for more reason than that their spouse is Catholic, then its okay. ^_^

My dad wasn't Catholic when he married my mom (Catholic all her life) but when i was littler he decided to convert not because my mom was Catholic, but because from attending mass semi-regularly with us and I guess my mom's cool example. ^_^

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 25 2005, 10:22 PM']You know whats sad. I was offered that book today, when I was in Weldron Books Stores. I looked at it, and I didn't like what it had to say about the Faith, it explained nothing or hardly anything on the Mass  :o
[right][snapback]699355[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Its an excellent, easy read on catholicism, written by the EWTN priests.

As far as conversion, the general answers to your question Mikhail are correct. One should only Convert for love of Christ, not out of necesscity of for the conveinece that both both may have the same religion, or any other number of singular or combined reasonings.

That being said, even if only did convert for the wrong reasons, God can always bring good from that. Though again, i'm not encouraging this.

As for the general issue, I would say that if your one marries, to be aware that there does, indirectly fall upon oneself, the responsiblity to support ones Catholic spouse.

So, clearly, if you spouse is Catholic, you two marrying in the Church, it really is your responsibility to NOT counteract the education and growth of spirituality of your spouse and family in the Catholic Chuch.

I have seen not to few that marry in the church, mixed, and the Catholic spouse doesn't fulfil thier obligation.

In short, this is reaking a Sacred Oath taken at marriage. As the non-Catholic spouse, one is certainly chared with the duty to honor and respect this Sacred Oath, whether one in bound to it or not.

Why? You say you will when you say I do.

:)

Hope this helps you out.
God Bless,
Chels

I'm in favor of conversion because of marriage if my spouse-to-be so desires. It's not a condition of marriage, but I do want to marry someone who I can commune with.

White Knight

I dont think you sould convert to "ANY" Religion at all just for marriage, if you convert it sould be for other more personal reasons, other than marriage.

[quote name='Oik' date='Aug 26 2005, 12:14 PM']So, clearly, if you spouse is Catholic, you two marrying in the Church, it really is your responsibility to NOT counteract the education and growth of spirituality of your spouse and family in the Catholic Chuch.
[right][snapback]700041[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's a very good point that is so often taken for granted.