An Old School Catholic Message Board

Converting for marriage

Mikhail

I have always wondered about this. I have several friends who have converted to Catholicism for marriage and have even considered dooing it myself, if the situation arose. what is the policy on it? I know it happens a lot.

It's not necessary to convert to get married in the Catholic Church.
But if you convert, for any reason, you go through the RCIA (Roman Catholic Initiation of Adults), and are baptised and recieve your first communion on Easter.
You can get information from any Catholic church about this.

Personally,
If you sincerely want to practice the Catholic faith, it's a beautiful thing.
If you're just doing it because "you have to" it's kind of upsetting.

The Catholic Church says that , to be married, u have to marry a baptized person, unless u get permission from the bishop or something. but u don't necessarily havve to convert to marry a Catholic. Idk church policy on this though. A friend of mine's mom was Jewish but became Catholic because she married a Catholic

In order to convert to Catholicism then you need to go through RCIA. However, I am a little concerned at your phrase "if the situation arose." Do not become Catholic to get married. Become Catholic because you WANT to be Catholic. I suggest that maybe you study a little bit of the faith "just for fun." Maybe you may see some things that interest you.

Meg

Brother Adam

[quote name='Sarah_JC' date='Aug 24 2005, 03:22 PM']It's not necessary to convert to get married in the Catholic Church.
But if you convert, for any reason, you go through the RCIA (Roman Catholic Initiation of Adults), and are baptised and recieve your first communion on Easter.
You can get information from any Catholic church about this.

Personally,
If you sincerely want to practice the Catholic faith, it's a beautiful thing.
If you're just doing it because "you have to" it's kind of upsetting.
[right][snapback]697398[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[b]R[/b]ite of [b]C[/b]hristian [b]I[/b]nitiation for [b]A[/b]dults

Brother Adam

[quote name='picchick' date='Aug 24 2005, 03:43 PM']In order to convert to Catholicism then you need to go through RCIA.  However, I am a little concerned at your phrase "if the situation arose."  Do not become Catholic to get married.  Become Catholic because you WANT to be Catholic.  I suggest that maybe you study a little bit of the faith "just for fun."  Maybe you may see some things that interest you.

Meg
[right][snapback]697414[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, buy "The Catholic Source Book". It has a lot of neat stories and facts in it.

Don't forget [b]Catholicism For Dummies[/b], it's a reliable book (written by two priests). Do not buy the Idiot's Guide version, it gives a distorted view of Catholicism.

(clears throat)

I didn't say I wanted to know the standpoint of the Catholic church. I was curious as to what you people thought personally.

[quote name='hierochloe' date='Aug 24 2005, 07:28 PM']I think the concensus is that one should not convert merely "for marriage".
[right][snapback]697696[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, since it's more of an "obligation" or a "must-do" conversion, instead of a free choice.

Just thought I'd add that my (formerly devout Protestant) mom converted because of my dad (who had himself converted earlier). My mom became a fervent Catholic (formally entering the Church shortly after my birth), and remains so to this day.

(Just a thought for those who think that "conversions for love" are always somehow shallow or insincere.)