An Old School Catholic Message Board

schismatics and the Sacraments?

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

does each time a schismatic take part in their sacrament do they commit a sacilege?

St. Jerome said: "Whoever eats this Lamb outside this House, shall perish, as did those outside the Ark during the flood." St. Augustine said: "One can have valid sacraments, one can say 'Alleluia' and 'Amen', but nowhere can one have eternal salvation except in the Catholic Church."

i don't really know the phatmass view on things. i do know the Trad view though.

so i wanted to see if we agreed.

thanks and God Bless,

Sam

Fidei Defensor

Here is what I know. Many schismatic groups have valid sacraments due to valid ordinations before schism. I do not know if recieving them constitutes sacralige, but the sacraments are illicit. It is a mortal sin, however, to be outside the Church, so by being in schism, you are in mortal sin. So either way, you are commiting mortal sin, if not by recieving, certainly by being outside the Church.

I think, however, that if you are not forced to go to a schismatic group's mass due to circumstances beyond your control, you sin by going to their mass anyways, when there is a Mass in communion with Rome that you can go to.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Aug 24 2005, 12:39 PM']does each time a schismatic take part in their sacrament do they commit a sacilege?
St. Jerome said: "Whoever eats this Lamb outside this House, shall perish, as did those outside the Ark during the flood." St. Augustine said: "One can have valid sacraments, one can say 'Alleluia' and 'Amen', but nowhere can one have eternal salvation except in the Catholic Church."

i don't really know the phatmass view on things. i do know the Trad view though.

so i wanted to see if we agreed.

thanks and God Bless,

Sam
[right][snapback]697141[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes. What is the definition of sacrilege? It is:
[quote name='The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language' date=' Fourth Edition']Desecration, profanation, misuse, or theft of something sacred.[/quote]

What is the definiton of schism? It is:
[quote name='CCC 2089']The refusal of submission to the Roman Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him.[/quote]

So, is the refusal of submission a misuse of Catholicism? You bet. Therefore, we can say with all certainty that schismatics are committing sacrilege.

If you are not physically or morally able, you may attend a schismatic Liturgy, as long as you are not formally agreeing to that schism and such as that. :)