An Old School Catholic Message Board

What faith would you be?

blueufo7

If lived on a remote island that didn't know about Christianity, what faith would you be?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

son_of_angels

Probably some sort of religion that worships the dead. After all, that which must be constant and evident, must also be the cause for existence, at least that would be how I would think.

I think that is part of the intellectual attraction for Christianity. While we admit humanity exists often outside the will of God, nonetheless God's image finds its culmination in the Creation of Man and in the incarnation of Himself in man.

Likewise, just as we all must die, we worship a God who died, and rose again as the "firstborn from the dead" and who is joined by a celestial choir of saints in heaven.

Thy Geekdom Come

Well, most likely, if I lived on a remote island, there would be no missionaries to bring new religions, so I would be the religion most common in the region.

However, if I could have some sort of revelation, etc...Jewish, of course.

infinitelord1

i voted buddhist...........i like the whole "we are one" theme.

I wouldnt be hindu because i would be too skeptical about the nature of god since there are so many........according to them.

I might be jewish but i cant really picture myself wearing one of those little hats.

i would hate the tribal life......i heard about this tribe member who had 11 different species of worms........his health was better than perfect but i would hate the thought of worms.

i gaurentee most catholics on this website will vote that none of the above.............catholicism is so embedded into their veins they wont except any other religion.

Well, I'd probably at some point start questioning why everything exists... you know... I'd probably go into this big long meditation where I hold this tree-stump and keep hitting it and wonder how it is able to be there.

I'd eventually come to the conclusion that there must be something that holds up everything. there exists something that is the definition of existance. Where did it come from? well, it's gotta be something outside of everything I know, cause I can't see how it keeps everything existing... so it can't even be within time.. okay so it's eternal.

well, if it's really outside everything, and eternal, then how big is it? it's gotta be bigger than anything... so I'll stay up one night lookin at the stars and thinkin wow, that's a long long long way away.. that's gotta be so big it never ends. so that thing that keeps all that existing, it's gotta be even bigger than something that could never end. it has to be infinite.

well, why does this thing that is infinite and eternal keep everything, even me, existing? I'll fall in love with some tribal girl and then one day realize that all I want is the best for that tribal girl and for her to live and be happy, and finally I'll realize that this infinite eternal thing must be the very nature of love, cause if it wills everything to exist, it must love it all.

okay, so if this thing is eternal, it must have created time and be the thing that causes time to exist... so what did this thing that is love itself love before it created time and everything, what about before anything existed but it?

then I'll have a son with this tribal girl. I'll realize that having a son gives me something to love forever and ever without end. Then it'll hit me, existance must have a son that has also always existed. how could that son have always existed if the definition of existence is the only thing that always existed? it must have always been begotten from him, you know throughout all time continually begotten because this existence thing is the only source of all existence but it is eternal so it must be eternally supplying existence to this son!

aha! I would say. but then this Father who is the definition of Love must infinitely love this Son! And then this begotten Son must infinitely love this Father! so then there exists between them this big glob of infinite eternal love... it's gotta overflow unless it itself is another person in the union of this definition of existence, it has to be otherwise it couldn't exist eternally and infinitely!

so then, I'd wonder to myself, why is there this thing whereby all the animals have no shame, no guilt over anything, but all the people in my tribe do. we fashion clothing for ourselves and can't survive well naked though animals can, and we feel bad when we do bad stuff... there must be something wrong with us, something fallen about our nature.

and how come if this infinite eternal existence is the definition of love and loves us, how come we aren't happy? it must be our fault that our nature is fallen. we must have offended Him.

He must want to get right with us, but He's the one with all the power and we're the ones with the fallen nature. He'd have to make a perfect person who could attone for all us. but for a person to be perfect, they must be the very definition of love which only He is! and for Him to truly reconcile, He'd have to offer something He infinitely loved!

Oh wow! I'd say... goodness gracious He's going to send His Son to become a perfect human being! and then we're gonna hate on Him and kill Him, and He'll probably only then be able to free us from this fallen nature of ourselves!

lol... oh wait... should I pick "none of the above"? :cool:

I'd probably be an atheist if I didn't know about Christianity, I would think. I'd probably have wound up somewhere in the Douglas Adams sort of absurdism, were it not for some, ahem, divine intervention.

Edited by scardella

I would have loved to say something like jewish, or buddhist, but to be honest to my violent nature I have to admit I would probably be something tribal.

(assuming my parents had not religious allignment to start, and that I would not be my own prophet: aka, didacus corp. the free T-shirt and prophetizing people, we provide the truth of God according to Didacus with a free T-shirt on the side)

Edited by Didacus

i'd be buddhist, in fact if i ever just up an decide catholicism is just too wierd for me i'll probably go buddhist. it makes a lot of sense to me and i really like the philosophy behind most of the stuff.

Fidei Defensor

Technically, If lived on a remote island that didn't know about Christianity, then there would probably be no other of the major religions either. Most likely, you would follow a tribal religion.