An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone ever been to a Jewish Sabboth... service?

blueufo7

Hi amigos!
Have any of you ever been to a Jewish Sabboth service (what are they called???) before? I would love to attend one, esp done by Orthodox Jews... I wonder what kinds of parallels to Mass there might be hidden in their liturgy. :-)

Thy Geekdom Come

I have not, but I have been to a sort of Passover Sader, but it was put on at a Catholic monastery, with the abbot as the "father," etc. That was interesting.

Laudate_Dominum

A good friend of mine is a convert from Judaism. He converted to Christianity on his own simply by reading the New Testament (and praying about it). But he first attended Protestant Churches. He says he was drawn to the Catholic Faith because one day he went to Mass and just immediately saw the continuity with the worship of Israel. He knows all about the parallels and stuff, I wish he was here to answer this.

I should note his first Mass was at a Tridentine indult parish. He said the first time he went to the Novus Ordo he was shocked and saddened.. For the record, he did not become a rad trad, he wouldn't say that the novus ordo is invalid, just that it lacks the depth of symbolism that the old Mass has. He goes to novus ordo daily Mass, but he is a devotee of the Latin Mass which he attends on Sundays.

God bless.

cmotherofpirl

When my kids were little every Holy Thursday we celebrated Sedar in my house - wine , readings, the cup for Elijah etc.

I've attended a Reform, Conservative, and Orthodox Shabbat service, and there are definitely many parallels to the Mass. The Torah is housed in an enclave behind the table they use to read the Torah, and I think they even call this enclave the sanctuary. The reverence shown to the Torah as it's being processed around the congregation reminded me of the reverence shown toward the Eucharist...and they even served bread and whine afterwards.

The Orthodox were the most interesting--there were tons of kids and there were special sections for women to sit so they wouldnt distract the men, who sat on a sort of lower level, closer to the sanctuary.