An Old School Catholic Message Board

Asking for signs

scardella

Sinful or not?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is related to discerning God's Holy and Perfect Will...

When looking to make a decision, and difficulty arises, where it's not clear what to do, can it be a proper part of discernment to ask for a sign? If so, does one specify what different signs would mean? Also, what would be its proper place?

In my experience, I've never had a "loud and clear" response from God in asking for a sign. It seems like it often devolves into either what I think or what I feel.

it probably depends on the situation. If ur testing God, it's a sin because the Scriptures say, "Do not test the Lord your God" but if ur in a difficult situation and u need help, it could just be a plea for help. idk what the church teaches on this one though

Fidei Defensor

It is probably better to pray that His will be done, when making decisions, then asking for a sign. He can guide you to the proper decision if you ask, and allow him to do so.

Everything everywhere is a sign, if only we are wise enough to see it.

Pray, rather, that the Holy Spirit grants us His wisdom.

I don't think it is a sin to ask for a sign, but you also don't want to put your life on hold to such an extent that you waste your entire life because you end up as a 75-year old who has been looking for a sign for over 50 years.

Please be open to the fact that God might not be a micromanager and that He might leave a lot of stuff up to us. Instead, look at your decisionmaking process and see if you are making sure that you are putting God's standards at the top. Many times we know what needs to be done, we just need to pray that we do it without sinning.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I wouldn't ask Him. I'm not sure He always wants to send a definitive sign, as that would require no faith to believe in. If he wants you to know something and you are sincerely seeking His guidance, he will let you know.

crusader1234

If you're asking for God to guide you, thats not a sin. If you're basically telling God to 'Prove It' or something, thats a sin. Thats a little simplistic, but I hope it helps.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='scardella' date='Aug 20 2005, 05:15 AM']In my experience, I've never had a "loud and clear" response from God in asking for a sign.  It seems like it often devolves into either what I think or what I feel.
[right][snapback]690940[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Rest assured, I want to say something for you regarding the above line. God's voice is very subtle and gentle, you can ONLY hear after you make your airwaves free with the Sacrament of Reconciliation. It's after prolonged prayer, adoration and intimate conversation with God that you can hear it with clarity. And remember, this might very well be contrary to what you have been thinking or wishing(the source of rational thinking), for God's ways are different from ours. From experience I would tell you to trust this "instincts" and be obedient.

God Bless

Thy Geekdom Come

If you feel that God has asked you to do something, it is a good idea to ask for a sign in order to "test the spirits" and make sure it's really God's will. To do otherwise would be presumption.

However, if you're just going, "oh God, if you want me to with the lottery, send me a sign!" then it seems like superstition and presumption to me.