An Old School Catholic Message Board

human milk

Catholic Fanatic

Aside from the health and other concerns, how much alone would the weirdness of drinking mass produced human breast milk directly from women steer you from drinking the milk over cow milk?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IcePrincessKRS

Ok, while I am a HUGE advocate of breastfeeding your children (if you can, I know some moms just can't do it), I know for fact that I could never bring myself to drink it.

This has got to be the weirdest poll to date.

And can you tell me why its in the debate table? I'm not sure this is the right place for it, but I'll give you a chance to explain before moving it.

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

breast milk is for infants, i was breast fed as a baby but that's the only time it would be appropriate, also, i would nurse my kids if God sees fit to bless me with any, but only when they're babies of course. i see no prob with ppl nursing their babies (since it's scientifically proven to be healthier) but mass produced breast milk? that's a little weird :blink:

is this talking about infants or non-infants? Also, how would they get the "mass produced" part?

It would seem that milking women's breasts to sell the milk would be contrary to their dignity as human persons, as a gut reaction. Anyone other than infants breastfeeding is gross.

However, infant breastfeeding has been shown to be beneficial to the baby, at the least. From what my mom has said (she's a nurse in labor and delivery/nursery) that the milk is tailored to the baby's age. Bottle feeding supposedly results in more overweight babies.

also, i read on a website on pregnancy (im thinking of being a midwife) that u can never mix milk, meaning that the mother's milk has to go to her baby, and only her baby because her body produces milk that has the exact nutrients that this particular baby needs. i also read in a health book that only infants should be breastfed.

Laudate_Dominum

I don't think human breast milk would be good for an adult. And I don't really want to drink anyone's milk, that's gross. And I find the idea to be pretty grotesque because it implies the harvesting of women's breast milk, basically using women as cows. This is horrendous. Breat milk is a beautiful thing when it is for nursing a baby, but if turned into a commodity I think it would attack the beauty and dignity of maternity.

Laudate_Dominum

And cows milk isn't gross (although this is a matter of taste) because God gave us the animals partly as food. But we are not to use other human beings as food.
With a mama and baby it's different because the baby came from the woman's body and they are like one. It's in the context of the maternal bond so it's a beautiful thing.

[quote name='Catholic Fanatic' date='Aug 19 2005, 01:18 PM']I am studying naturalism.
[right][snapback]690565[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Looking at it naturally, where in the natural world do mammals (or any animal for that matter) drink milk in an adult stage? If anything, I would say people shouldn't be drinking milk at all, much less human milk.

Do some research on dairies and the stress that dairy animals go through in the production and extraction of milk. To consider that a woman might choose to endure half of that in order to produce a commodity makes me shudder. And people think pregnancy puts breasts through the wringer....... :o