An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contact lenses

avemaria40

Do u guyz think that wearing contacts is vanity?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='StColette' date='Aug 18 2005, 06:40 PM'] I know I would rather have contacts because I know me and I would end up losing my glasses or breaking them. lol
[right][snapback]689625[/snapback][/right][/quote]

me too! :blush:

IcePrincessKRS

I have both. I look good in both. But both have distinct advantages and disadvantages (many of which have been numberd already). My biggest vain thing with glasses is that they hide my under-eye circles (I always have big dark circles), with contacts.... I guess its just that I don't have glasses on? I dunno. lol

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Aug 19 2005, 06:57 AM']for me, yes.... the only reason why i would get them is b/c i look better w/o glasses--- so, in my situation getting contacts would be out of vanity... which is why i haven't gotten them.
[right][snapback]690182[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this debate/poll is really weird?
Is choosing any option that makes us look better a sin of vanity?
By this logic, must we always choose ugly or unflattering clothes or hairstyles over those which are more flattering? Avoid working out or eating heatlhily if it makes us look better than being out of shape? And if we wear glasses, then should we always choose ugly, dorky-looking glasses over nice-looking glasses?

(Btw, I don't wear glasses or contacts, though I probably need to. I think I'll go with glasses, just because I have rather sensitive eyeballs, and glasses would probably make me look smarter - but would that be vain?)

[quote name='Socrates' date='Aug 20 2005, 08:46 PM']Is it just me, or does anyone else think this debate/poll is really weird?
Is choosing any option that makes us look better a sin of vanity?
By this logic, must we always choose ugly or unflattering clothes or hairstyles over those which are more flattering?  Avoid working out or eating heatlhily if it makes us look better than being out of shape?  And if we wear glasses, then should we always choose ugly, dorky-looking glasses over nice-looking glasses?

(Btw, I don't wear glasses or contacts, though I probably need to.  I think I'll go with glasses, just because I have rather sensitive eyeballs, and glasses would probably make me look smarter - but would that be vain?)
[right][snapback]692408[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i dont think that argument is appropriate to what i said....
the sole reason that i would have gotten contact lenses was to look better.... the effect --ie convenience, etc -- doesn't discount the sole purpose of looking good. now, this does not preclude one from buying nice clothes so long as doing so is not to draw attention to yourself, or is done for the sole purpose of looking good.... LOoking nice is a good thing, but for whom to we look nice -- GOd or ourselves???

I suppose I am getting a little weird in my logic flow -- maybe even making zigzags.... but let me say that for me -- contact lenses would be worn for vainglory.... (this is speaking strictly for myself, not for anyone else) I wanted to stress and clarify this point.....

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Aug 18 2005, 08:13 PM']Hey, i just got contact lenses b/c, i'll admit it, i wanna be hip, lol and i also find out they correct my astigmatism better than my glasses do.  Is it considered vanity to use them?
[right][snapback]689591[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I wear contacts also, for astigmatisms in both eyes. I tried for several years to get used to wearing glasses and always keep a pair in my perscription around, but I cant stand wearing them. The floor and stairs jump up at me, and because of my double astigmatism I always misjudge doors and corners. So you can imagine the amount of bruises I get when I wear my glasses. I would much rather get corrective surgery, but Im not ready for that yet.
I dont see contacts as vanity. They correct vision. Although I am not crazy about some of the 'different' contacts that are out there. Not the tinted ones, they can be fun. It's the ones with the wierd things on them. Cats eyes, yellow eyes, dice...you know...stuff like that.

inthelight009

I wear my glasses mostly but I have contacts. Contacts make it that I can see better then wearing my glasses. The reason I don't wear my contacts as much now is I have puppy and a kitten. I think I am allergic to them because my eyes puffy and nose is runny. So when I put my contacts in my eyes get really really red.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='White Knight' date='Aug 21 2005, 12:33 PM']If people need them they need them, but they sould try eating alot of carrots or VD.
[right][snapback]693022[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I ate carrots like mad as a kid ( still eat them now as an adult, usually on salads) and I am still legally blind.

Quietfire, I'm with you on the surgery, I am SO not ready for it. I'm chicken. I have a slight astigmatism in one eye but it doesn't really affect my depth perception at all. I wore contacts yesterday, but today was one of those days where I didn't have time to monkey around, I had to get out the door in a hurry or we'd have been late for Mass, so I put on my glasses instead. It just depends on whats more convenient--often times glasses are easier for me on a day to day basis.

Yeah. The carrot thing has no bearing on genetics. Maybe my vision would be even worse if I hadn'r eaten carrots, but mostly it's two near-sighted parents and a love of books that drove me to read way past bed-time.

I have nice frames for my glasses, so I don't mind wearing them. But on cold or rainy days, it's nice to be able to see when you step indoors.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Sarah_JC' date='Aug 21 2005, 02:21 PM']Yeah. The carrot thing has no bearing on genetics. Maybe my vision would be even worse if I hadn'r eaten carrots, but mostly it's two near-sighted parents and a love of books that drove me to read way past bed-time.

I have nice frames for my glasses, so I don't mind wearing them. But on cold or rainy days, it's nice to be able to see when you step indoors.
[right][snapback]693096[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Amen to that! lol Thats exactly why my vision is bad!

• 2 weeks later...