An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contact lenses

avemaria40

Do u guyz think that wearing contacts is vanity?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey, i just got contact lenses b/c, i'll admit it, i wanna be hip, lol and i also find out they correct my astigmatism better than my glasses do. Is it considered vanity to use them?

Anything can be vanity, and very little in particular has to be vanity. There's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to look nice.

It depends on the person. :nerd:

Nope I don't really consider them a vanity. Some people find glasses bothersome so they opt for contacts. lol I know I would rather have contacts because I know me and I would end up losing my glasses or breaking them. lol

I voted no. I've been a contacts and glasses person. In many situations, its more practical to have contacts. In the lab, sometimes glasses get fogged up from steam. Driving, my peripheral vision is carp when I'm wearing glasses.

Remember to take your contacts out every night (unless they're the crazy weird ones you can leave in 24/7). I've had several friends who've gotten damaged corneas due to improper contact wearing.

Considering I have been wearing them since I was 10, I don't think so.

The reason......I continually broke my glasses, so it was the cheapest way to allow me to see...

Definately not!

I'm weird and so my glasses drive me crazy. I always feel like I can't see up close or something (no one seems to understand what I mean), so contacts are so much better because they are just like having naturally perfect vision. They are extremely convieniant too.

I don't think so either. I had glasses since I was in 1st grade (blast you terrible eyesight!) and then got contacts at the end of 7th grade. But for me, it was just sooo much more convenient. I still wear glasses sometimes, I don't mind them too much. But then there are my brothers who can't stand touching their eyes so just stick with the glasses. :)

The astigmatism thing is really the key. Contacts generally decrease the rate of change (decay) of your vision. Personally I have a pretty bad astigmatism and the contacts I could get wouldn't allow me to see as well as my glasses do, so I've opted for glasses even though my sight gets worse and worse. If the made contacts that actually allowed me to have 20/20 I'd go for it. And really all in all I'd say the glasses vs. contacts isn't a really vain thing either way. Sometimes the glasses or contacts are obviously for attention, but typically i think larger things like clothes or hair tend to get people really vain.

for me, yes.... the only reason why i would get them is b/c i look better w/o glasses--- so, in my situation getting contacts would be out of vanity... which is why i haven't gotten them.

As has been stated, there are legit reasons to prefer contact lenses over glasses. There are also legit reasons to prefer glasses over contact lenses.

Vanity is (correct me if I'm wrong) when one acts in preference to human admiration over pleasing God. It usually is characterized by a facade that one puts on in public that is not expressive of who that person actually is. One might say the Pharisees were practicing vanity ("whitewashed sepulchers"). Wanting to look nice or attractive is a natural human desire and is not necessarily vanity. Created beauty is reflective of God's Beauty.

I wear both. People tell me they like me in glasses, but I prefer contacts. I have this weird habit of taking my glasses off when I am talking, and then I can't see and get a headache....weird, I know....so contacts are nice sometimes.

I miss having contacts...Mostly I miss the peripheral vision. It's easier to see in the rain with contacts. I've never sat on my contacts or broken them playing sports. Contacts don't fall off or get bent when you are rough-housing or doing anything active.

I think contacts may possibly be one of the proofs of a benevolent and loving God...

Kilroy the Ninja

I have contacts. And I still think it's a bit vain.

I look better with them. But they do allow me the extra peripheral vision (which I find makes a big difference when driving), and the ability to wear sunglasses - which I love!

But it also costs my family more to maintain my vision - more for the initial vision exam, more than just the cost of glasses, more for the actual contacts (which I now get long-wearing disposables) and more for the solutions one must have to maintain contacts.

So for me, it's a luxurious vanity.