An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mustum (non alcholic "wine" used for consecration)

iheartjp2

At a local parish in my town, there's this non alcoholic "wine" that they're going to use for consecration for those who can't drink the blood of christ under the form of alcohol. I know about caelic disease people who can't digest the gluten that's in wheat and how they can drink from the cup if they can't have ANY gluten, because what I understand is that what was FIRST used for the sacrament when Christ instituted it, must be used thereafter because we don't have the authority to change it. This is what I read that the church teaches. So, when you baptize, you can't use anything but water, when you go to confession, you must confess your sins with your own mouth, for the Eucharist, you must use wheat bread and grape wine, and for Holy Orders, you must have a baptized male, and for marriage you must have a baptized MALE and a baptized FEMALE and so on with the others. What confuses me is that they claim that the church teaches that you can do this, but wouldn't it conflict with what I'd read about church teaching that i just stated above? I don't know, but I'm confused. :blink:

Now, this is what they said in their own bulletin:

"Some in our parish cannot share in the Precious Blood at Communion time because they are not able to drink alcohol- either because they are on medications, they are recovering alcoholics or for some other reason. For those people, the church allows a special non-alcoholic wine called "mustum" to be consecrated along with the regular sacramental wine."

Have any of you ever heard of this "mustum" and do you know if it is in accord with church teaching because the first time I read it in their bulletin is actually the first time I heard anything about this, besides other things that people around the country were doing like making their own bread and putting things like honey and oil in it, which is DEFINITELY not allowed. I'm actually not clear on what you should do to make your own communion bread, I guess what you would do to be most correct unless they've changed the recipe or they never had one set in the first place, is to go to your Jewish neighbor and get thier matza recipe.

thessalonian

[quote name='iheartjp2' date='Aug 18 2005, 04:48 PM']At a local parish in my town, there's this non alcoholic "wine" that they're going to use for consecration for those who can't drink the blood of christ under the form of alcohol.  I know about caelic disease people who can't digest the gluten that's in wheat and how they can drink from the cup if they can't have ANY gluten, because what I understand is that what was FIRST used for the sacrament when Christ instituted it, must be used thereafter because we don't have the authority to change it.  This is what I read that the church teaches.  So, when you baptize, you can't use anything but water, when you go to confession, you must confess your sins with your own mouth, for the Eucharist, you must use wheat bread and grape wine, and for Holy Orders, you must have a baptized male, and for marriage you must have a baptized MALE and a baptized FEMALE and so on with the others.  What confuses me is that they claim that the church teaches that you can do this, but wouldn't it conflict with what I'd read about church teaching that i just stated above?  I don't know, but I'm confused. :blink:  

Now, this is what they said in their own bulletin:

"Some in our parish cannot share in the Precious Blood at Communion time because they are not able to drink alcohol- either because they are on medications, they are recovering alcoholics or for some other reason.  For those people, the church allows a special non-alcoholic wine called "mustum" to be consecrated along with the regular sacramental wine."

Have any of you ever heard of this "mustum" and do you know if it is in accord with church teaching because the first time I read it in their bulletin is actually the first time I heard anything about this, besides other things that people around the country were doing like making their own bread and putting things like honey and oil in it, which is DEFINITELY not allowed.  I'm actually not clear on what you should do to make your own communion bread, I guess what you would do to be most correct unless they've changed the recipe or they never had one set in the first place, is to go to your Jewish neighbor and get thier matza recipe.
[right][snapback]689403[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It appears that mustum can be used. But only by permission and it looks as if it has to be conditinal on the priest not being able to consume alcohol.

This article should help you out in this matter:

[url="http://www.adoremus.org/CDF_Lowgluten-mustum94.html"]http://www.adoremus.org/CDF_Lowgluten-mustum94.html[/url]

If contains a letter from the CDF on the matters. Also a link to Redemptoris Sacramentum which details the abuses in such matters.

It is signed by Ratzinger.
Blessings

[url="http://www.adoremus.org/CDF_Lowgluten-mustum94.html"]http://www.adoremus.org/CDF_Lowgluten-mustum94.html[/url]

II. Concerning permission to use mustum:

A. The preferred solution continues to be communion per intinctionem [Communion by intinction], or in concelebration under the species of bread alone.

[b]B. Nevertheless, the permission to use mustum can be granted by ordinaries to priests affected by alcoholism or other conditions which prevent the ingestion of even the smallest quantity of alcohol, after presentation of a medical certificate.[/b]

[b]C. By "mustum" is understood fresh juice from grapes or juice preserved by suspending its fermentation (by means of freezing or other methods which do not alter its nature).[/b]

D. In general, those who have received permission to use mustum are prohibited from presiding at concelebrated Masses. There may be some exceptions however: in the case of a bishop or superior general; or, with prior approval of the ordinary, at the celebration of the anniversary of priestly ordination or other similar occasions. In these cases the one who presides is to communicate under both the species of bread and that of mustum, while for the other concelebrants a chalice shall be provided in which normal wine is to be consecrated.

[b]E. In the very rare instances of laypersons requesting this permission, recourse must be made to the Holy See.[/b]

Contact the priest with this info and if that doesn't do anything send a letter to your bishop. JP II was very concerned about Liturgical abuse which is what this sounds like, unless the priest can show he has permission, and Ratzinger I am quite certain is just as concerned.

Edited by thessalonian