An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Catholic Marrying A Protestant?

Lil Red

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1931196' date='Jul 24 2009, 08:58 PM']I know. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

And I'm sorry, please no one take my drama queen comment the wrong way. I honestly did not mean anything by it. :doh: I wish I'd keep my fingers still sometimes.[/quote]

hehe is alright, I have a nack for high-jacking threads all the time :D
but now that this thread has been revived, i'm curious to see if there's more imput *shrug*

"Any children that God might give you in the Catholic Faith, that you raise them to be real [b]Pope-loving Mary-hailing little Romans[/b] with no kind of outside interference in their religious formation."

haha, I loved that quote, because that is EXACTLY what hyper is. :smokey:

man it's been awhile since the milkshake era.

thessalonian

My wife was nondenom protestant when we married. If she had not become Cathollic I don't think we would be married today. Fortunately by the grace of God he brought her, her three kids from a previous marriage, and our 5 in to the Church. Having said that every experience is different and your friend seems to be of the right disposition to make it work. But it will be work guaranteed. He should not hide his faith in Christ and certainly that can enhance their faith. But be careful for some of what he believes may confuse them.

i find it weird that so many people on this thread are recommending against a marriage that could prove to be inconvenient, even if it is witha person you love.

mostly because in an abortion thread you are the first to say that a crackwhore, single mother should never have an abortion even though it will certainly not be a pleasant or convenient life for either involved. where is the compassion and love here? (note: im critisizing actions in this thread, not the ones i listed about other threads)

but why would there be this bipolar view on the subject? has noone heard that often the right thing to do is the hardest?

of course a catholic/protestant/athiest/whatever marriage could work, and is worth it, if you love each other entirely.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Varg' post='1932352' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:47 PM']This is why religion is harmful. It creates divides between people.[/quote]

:hehehe:

Oh, wait, you're serious! You mean between the 600 or so French people in church this morning, who were partying and grieving because their Polish priest is leaving, and have such horrid accents that me, poor Cloggy, can hardly understand them?

People will always agree and disagree about stuff. You don't need religion for that. Personally, I would never marry someone who likes apricot jelly. Doesn't mean apricots are harmful.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1932308' date='Jul 26 2009, 04:30 AM']i find it weird that so many people on this thread are recommending against a marriage that could prove to be inconvenient, even if it is with a person you love.[/quote]

If you re-read the first two pages of this thread, I think you will see that people were not recommending [i]against[/i] it (with one exception), so much as recommending discernment and asking the tough questions before walking into marriage with rose colored glasses on.

In other words, it's not about not marrying those big bad scary Protestants, but about recognizing the particular challenges this difference will bring to a marriage. No one says you can't embrace those challenges.

Certainly, the Church recognizes marriages between Catholics and non-Catholics, though there are some stipulations to be met. The discussion here hasn't been about that, so much as about discernment needing to come before marriage. I mean, anyone should spend a lot of time in prayer before getting married, not just someone whose boyfriend isn't Catholic.

[b]Varg[/b], it might create the labels for those divisions, but it would be pretty silly to say that everyone would just get along in harmony (particularly in marriages) without religion. There is no way to easily or automatically overcome the vast gulfs separating individual people from one another. Marriage is a place where two become one, so that real unity is established. But...it takes a lot of work.

Oh, and this thread is 6 years old. I wonder if this couple got married?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know that this is a really old post, but now that the topic has come up, or rather, resurfaced, I just gotta speak my mind.

Inter-denominational marriage is hard. Heck, marriage in general is hard. But it can work.

My father grew up Catholic but stopped practicing.
My mother grew up pentecostal and happened to like going to church.

When they met, my mom started going to various churches with my father.
My Father took my mother to Mass.
My Mother is now now not only Catholic, but head to religious ed. at my parish, and my father is once again devout!

• 4 weeks later...

Ask that to your paster. :saint:
I always thought that Catholic should marry Catholics. I know a priest, who was not Catholic, that marry someone who was Catholic, then he became Catholic.