An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liberal and Conservative

MC Just

White Knight

Heres the worlds smallest political quiz, take it and you will find out what you are, where you stand, rather if your Conservative, Liberal, or Other. I think this is a helpful quiz

[b][url="http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html"]Worlds Smallest Political Quiz[/url][/b]

Edited by White Knight

The political description that
fits you best is...

CENTRIST

CENTRISTS espouse a "middle ground" regarding government

control of the economy and personal behavior. Depending on

the issue, they sometimes favor government intervention

and sometimes support individual freedom of choice.

Centrists pride themselves on keeping an open mind,

tend to oppose "political extremes," and emphasize what

they describe as "practical" solutions to problems.

hmmmmm...... this is good I guess... I'm a well balanced individual.... I suppose.. :)
Actually, my 'red-dot' was a little on the liberal side - which makes me doubt the hole validity of rthis quiz! j/k

Here is an interesting article pertinent to this conversation:

Why Europe chooses extinction
By Spengler

[url="http://www.atimes.com/atimes/front_page/ED08Aa01.html"]http://www.atimes.com/atimes/front_page/ED08Aa01.html[/url]

[quote]For today's Europeans, there is no consolation, neither the old pagan continuity of national culture, nor the Christian continuity into the hereafter. The French know that Victor Hugo, Gauloise cigarettes, Chateau Lafitte and Impressionist painters one day will become a matter of antiquarian curiosity. The Germans know that no one but bored schoolboys will read Goethe two centuries hence, like Pindar. They have no ambition but to die quietly, no concerns except for those amusements which might reduce boredom and anxiety en route to the grave. They have no passions except hatred born of envy. They hate America, a new kind of universality that succeeded where the old Christian empire failed. They hate Israel, which makes the Jewish people appear all the more eternal in stark contrast to Europe's morbid temporality. They will pass out of history unmourned even by themselves.[/quote]

This guy has a bunch of articles like that.... there is a lot of truth in what he says.

comments?

fits you best is...

CONSERVATIVE

CONSERVATIVES tend to favor economic freedom, but frequently

support laws to restrict personal behavior that violates "traditional
values." They oppose excessive government control of business,

while endorsing government action to defend morality and the

traditional family structure. Conservatives usually support a strong

military, oppose bureaucracy and high taxes, favor a free-market

economy, and endorse strong law enforcement.

Oddly, it said I was a "centrist" (first time I'd been called that).

(but it was between Conservative and Libertarian on the chart, so I guess that's not entirely inaccurate.)

I'm a "statist" (whatever the heck that is).

[quote]STATISTS want government to have a great deal of power
over the economy and individual behavior. They frequently
doubt whether economic liberty and individual freedom
are practical options in today's world. Statists tend to distrust
the free market, support high taxes and centralized
planning of the economy, oppose diverse lifestyles,
and question the importance of civil liberties.[/quote]

Sound like I'm a fascist. :evil:

Edited by Era Might

White Knight

Now these aren't official results there bigger more detailed quizs out there, but alot of them too are Biast. Its best to find one thats non Party Basher or Supporter.

I tested on this thing twice and I was a Conservative mostly on Economic Issues, and Social Issues.

The Catholic Church was founded by "The wiseman" it doesnt try to conciliate light with darkness and truth with error.. That would be a foolish move.

I find it interesting how some people are prejuidice against the word "liberal", the word in of itself is not evil, it's what it's applied too. For example, by shopping online instead of the "traditional" way of going to an actual store, wouldn't I be a "liberal shopper"?

i'm liberal in the sense that i support immigration, support the government helping the poor, pro gun control, anti death penalty and pro enviornment but i'm conservative in the sense that i am against abortion, anti embryonic stem cell research, against homosexual marriage (though not too sure about civil unions) anti euthanasia, anti-human cloning. That's only politics though. As for religion, i am a conservative, orthodox, Roman Catholic, though i don't live up to it on most days, unfortunately :(

White Knight

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Aug 20 2005, 08:17 PM']i'm liberal in the sense that i support immigration, support the government helping the poor, pro <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=gun%20control&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: gun control'; self.ql_skeyphrase='gun%20control'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='gun%20control'; window.status='Search for: gun control';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">gun control</a>, anti <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=death%20penalty&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: death penalty'; self.ql_skeyphrase='death%20penalty'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='death%20penalty'; window.status='Search for: death penalty';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">death penalty</a>  and pro enviornment but i'm conservative in the sense that i am against abortion, anti embryonic <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=stem%20cell%20research&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: stem cell research'; self.ql_skeyphrase='stem%20cell%20research'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='stem%20cell%20research'; window.status='Search for: stem cell research';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">stem cell research</a>, against <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=homosexual%20marriage&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: homosexual marriage'; self.ql_skeyphrase='homosexual%20marriage'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='homosexual%20marriage'; window.status='Search for: homosexual marriage';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">homosexual marriage</a> (though not too sure about <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=civil%20unions&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: civil unions'; self.ql_skeyphrase='civil%20unions'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='civil%20unions'; window.status='Search for: civil unions';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">civil unions</a>) anti euthanasia,  anti-human cloning.  That's only politics though.  As for religion, i am a conservative, orthodox, Roman Catholic, though i don't live up to it on most days, unfortunately :(
[right][snapback]692436[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So overall you'd consider yourself a Moderate, Independant Liberal on some issues, Conservative on others.

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Aug 21 2005, 08:08 AM']yup, that's about right :)
[right][snapback]692838[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I second that, though I'm not big into pro-gun control.

White Knight
[b]People who are for pro-gun control are usually ignorant on how to use Firearms, and if your igorant on how to use Firearms I personally dont think you sould have them at all in that case. So I'm kind of half and half on this issue personally.[/b]

[b]Its like owning a Baseball Bat, you souldn't own one inless you know how to use it. Properly and safely. (Just to note, if you dont know how to use a baseball bat, you souldn't be using a fork in that case lol, just my opinion)[/b]

[color=blue][b]I understand all the agurments for Pro-gun control and Anti-Gun Control.

But if you look at our 2nd Admendment you will find that it supports our protection not only from animals/wild life, but from a supressing type enemy.

If you look at History and find out what the English did to the Colonists during the years before the our Revolutionary War, you will find that the British took away all firmarms and placed them in shacks so people couldn't get to them, fortunately for us it didn't turn out that way, we invaded thoe shacks took the weapons and waged war.[/b][/color]

[b]The 2nd Admendment is a fail-safe device in our Supreme Law of the Land. If anyone wants to supress us again, we can say No. and have a chance to be heard. but if our guns are taken away again like before the Revolutionary War, we could be supressed by a Local or Non-local government, and our voices wouldn;t be heard very well.[/b]

Debating a label without defining the term is an exercise in futility - as one Supreme Court justice said in an obscenity case many moons ago . . . "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it." and despite the attempt to get rid of it, I'll be darned if it doesn't seem to still be around today

Identify a practice - then define why it falls within the label - and why it remains deserving of condemnation

Are the following "liberal" concepts? or "traditional"

I took a stab at suggesting popularly discussed litmus tests for some -- litmus tests where arguments tend to fall along "liberal"/"conservative" lines

Dignity of the Human Person
Belief in the inherent dignity of the human person is the foundation of all Catholic social teaching. Human life is sacred, and the dignity of the human person is the starting point for a moral vision for society. This principle is grounded in the idea that the person is made in the image of God. The person is the clearest reflection of God among us.

[color=blue]litmus tests: contraception, abortion, stem cell research, cloning, death penalty, euthanasia[/color]

Common Good and Community
The human person is both sacred and social. We realize our dignity and rights in relationship with others, in community. Human beings grow and achieve fulfillment in community. Human dignity can only be realized and protected in the context of relationships with the wider society.

How we organize our society -- in economics and politics, in law and policy -- directly affects human dignity and the capacity of individuals to grow in community. The obligation to "love our neighbor" has an individual dimension, but it also requires a broader social commitment. Everyone has a responsibility to contribute to the good of the whole society, to the common good.

[color=blue]litmus tests: equal protection of law; racial; gender; sexual orientation[/color]

Option for the Poor
The moral test of a society is how it treats its most vulnerable members. The poor have the most urgent moral claim on the conscience of the nation. We are called to look at public policy decisions in terms of how they affect the poor. The "option for the poor," is not an adversarial slogan that pits one group or class against another. Rather it states that the deprivation and powerlessness of the poor wounds the whole community.

The option for the poor is an essential part of society's effort to achieve the common good. A healthy community can be achieved only if its members give special attention to those with special needs, to those who are poor and on the margins of society.

[color=blue]litmus tests: rent control; public housing; welfare reform; levels of income subject to taxation; income taxation in general; flat tax; sales tax; government health care[/color]

Rights and Responsibilities
Human dignity can be protected and a healthy community can be achieved only if human rights are protected and responsibilities are met. Every person has a fundamental right to life and a right to those things required for human decency – starting with food, shelter and clothing, employment, health care, and education. Corresponding to these rights are duties and responsibilities -- to one another, to our families, and to the larger society.

[color=blue]litmus test: second hand smoke; items under #3[/color]

Role of Government and Subsidiarity
The state has a positive moral function. It is an instrument to promote human dignity, protect human rights, and build the common good. All people have a right and a responsibility to participate in political institutions so that government can achieve its proper goals.

The principle of subsidiarity holds that the functions of government should be performed at the lowest level possible, as long as they can be performed adequately. When the needs in question cannot adequately be met at the lower level, then it is not only necessary, but imperative that higher levels of government intervene.

[color=blue]litmus test: federal premption of state law; federal, state, local or citizen's choice entitled to primacy in education[/color]

Economic Justice
The economy must serve people, not the other way around. All workers have a right to productive work, to decent and fair wages, and to safe working conditions. They also have a fundamental right to organize and join unions. People have a right to economic initiative and private property, but these rights have limits. No one is allowed to amass excessive wealth when others lack the basic necessities of life.

Catholic teaching opposes collectivist and statist economic approaches. But it also rejects the notion that a free market automatically produces justice. Distributive justice, for example, cannot be achieved by relying entirely on free market forces. Competition and free markets are useful elements of economic systems. However, markets must be kept within limits, because there are many needs and goods that cannot be satisfied by the market system. It is the task of the state and of all society to intervene and ensure that these needs are met.

[color=blue]litmus test: collective bargaining; right to unionize; taxation; tariffs; free trade; international trade organizations[/color]

Stewardship of God's Creation
The goods of the earth are gifts from God, and they are intended by God for the benefit of everyone. There is a "social mortgage" that guides our use of the world's goods, and we have a responsibility to care for these goods as stewards and trustees, not as mere consumers and users. How we treat the environment is a measure of our stewardship, a sign of our respect for the Creator.

[color=blue]litmus tests: global warming; pollution controls; endangered species act[/color]

Promotion of Peace and Disarmament
Catholic teaching promotes peace as a positive, action-oriented concept. In the words of Pope John Paul II, "Peace is not just the absence of war. It involves mutual respect and confidence between peoples and nations. It involves collaboration and binding agreements.” There is a close relationship in Catholic teaching between peace and justice. Peace is the fruit of justice and is dependent upon right order among human beings.

[color=blue]litmus tests: terrorism; defense spending; foreign aid[/color]

Participation
All people have a right to participate in the economic, political, and cultural life of society. It is a fundamental demand of justice and a requirement for human dignity that all people be assured a minimum level of participation in the community. It is wrong for a person or a group to be excluded unfairly or to be unable to participate in society.

[color=blue]litmus tests: voting rights acts; gerrymandering[/color]

Global Solidarity and Development
We are one human family. Our responsibilities to each other cross national, racial, economic and ideological differences. We are called to work globally for justice. Authentic development must be full human development. It must respect and promote personal, social, economic, and political rights, including the rights of nations and of peoples It must avoid the extremists of underdevelopment on the one hand, and "superdevelopment" on the other. Accumulating material goods, and technical resources will be unsatisfactory and debasing if there is no respect for the moral, cultural, and spiritual dimensions of the person.

[color=blue]litmus tests: the United Nataions; EU; NATO[/color]

list comes from [url="http://www.osjspm.org/cst/themes.htm"]http://www.osjspm.org/cst/themes.htm[/url]
Office of Social Justice - Diocese of St Paul & Minneapolis