An Old School Catholic Message Board

mortal sin?

photosynthesis

photosynthesis

a lot of times, when I listen to the Church's teaching on mortal + venial sin, often people will say that mortal sin completely destroys a person's relationship with God.

if a person has committed a mortal sin, can they still be considered Catholic?

does God listen to their prayers?

Whenever I struggle with a particular sin, I get this image of God turning his face away from me, and thus ignoring me. And no matter how many times i ask for forgiveness or say I'm sorry or pray, it doesn't matter until I go to confession and recieve absolution.

if a person is in a state of mortal sin, are they still children of God? I've heard it said that sanctifying grace comes from Baptism... if mortal sin means that a person loses their sanctifying grace, wouldn't that undo baptism and make the person not a member of the church, not a child of God, etc?

I struggle with this a lot because i am very scrupulous and am ALWAYS worrying that i have committed a mortal sin and am going to hell.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Aug 17 2005, 06:47 AM']a lot of times, when I listen to the Church's teaching on mortal + venial sin, often people will say that mortal sin completely destroys a person's relationship with God. 
[color=blue]mortal sin  breaks ones relationship with God, but God never stops loving us [/color]

if a person has committed a mortal sin, can they still be considered Catholic?
[color=blue]Absolutely. You are a Catholic until you formally leave the Church. You are simply a Catholic in the state of sin and are in need of confession [/color]

does God listen to their prayers?
[color=blue]God hears all our prayers, whether He answers them or not is His perogative. [/color]

Whenever I struggle with a particular sin, I get this image of God turning his face away from me, and thus ignoring me.  And no matter how many times i ask for forgiveness or say I'm sorry or pray, it doesn't matter until I go to confession and recieve absolution.
[color=blue]You got it backwards, its you turning your face from Him [/color]

if a person is in a state of mortal sin, are they still children of God?
I've heard it said that sanctifying grace comes from Baptism...  if mortal sin means that a person loses their sanctifying grace, wouldn't that undo baptism and make the person not a member of the church, not a child of God, etc?
[color=blue]when you are baptised you become a child of God with an indelible permanent mark on your soul [/color]

I struggle with this a lot because i am very scrupulous and am ALWAYS worrying that i have committed a mortal sin and am going to hell.
[color=blue]Mortal sins are deliberate choices and are not done by accident [/color]

[color=blue]Start with the premise that God loves you unconditionally, and if you chose to disobey Him, you always have the option to run back to His loving arms any time you choose. You might have to stand in the corner for a bit as punishment, but milk and cookies are always at the end of the day. 
God loves and God provides[/color]
[right][snapback]687477[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Edited by cmotherofpirl

I used to worry a lot about whether or not God would hear my prayers when I was in a state of mortal sin or not, and I used to be really scrupulous. I sometimes feel like God is angry with me, a lot of it might be because my dad always has had this temper that he couldn't really control that well, and he wasn't around any other time, so it kind of put a dent in my view of what my [i]real[/i] father was like. I sometimes still struggle with those same things, but it's moreover a matter of trust.

God bless

"when you are baptised you become a child of God with an indelible permanent mark on your soul"

What part then makes it mortal?

"mortal sin breaks ones relationship with God, but God never stops loving us"

Doesn't have a relationship with God matter? I don't just mean in pleasing God, but He loves even the unsaved and wants them to become saved. Does not having a relationship with God then have any impact on salvation?

but if a mortal sin breaks ur relationship with God, then ur basically telling God, "it's over", so in a sense, it's like a couple breaking up but at the same time, with God, u can't be "just friends" it's all or nothing